Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • IT question – Homeplug networking
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Having just aquire a Humax Freesat box, I’m thinking of getting a set of Homeplugs so I can connect it to the router for iplayer and stuff.

I also have a wireless printer which struggles to connect, so I’m think I could use the Homeplugs too.

2 questions:
    Do you have to use the same brand/model of homeplugs throughout the network?
    My printer can be connected directly to a computer to a USB. Can I connect it to the router through a Homeplug through USB (it doesn’t have an ethernet socket)

alexxx
    Free Member

make the computer with the usb printer on a homeplug or just wired via usb.

buy homeplugs off ebuyer or play.com (read the reviews)

in my experience they are awesome little things – save a lot of mess and hassle!

use the same brand for hassle free you should get about 6 fast ones for £60 – you can also get homeplug wireless access points that improve your wireless signal across the house which could help your printer problemo.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Printer isn’t near a computer, we bought it so it could sit in free corner upstairs and print from laptop downstairs when required, but network signal is a bit poor.
    Access points sound like a solution. Thanks.

_tom_
    Free Member

Homeplugs are awesome. I use Novatech own-brand ones and they’ve been flawless. Think I’ve had the first set for over a year and have just bought a 2nd pair so my Mum’s computer can get a decent connection.. the walls in our house are awful for wireless. They’re about £32 a pair from novatech.

lodious
    Free Member

Do you have to use the same brand/model of homeplugs throughout the network?
    I theory no, but they have to be the same speed. (e.g. 85 or 200). Personally, i’d buy from the same manufacture to make life easier.

My printer can be connected directly to a computer to a USB. Can I connect it to the router through a Homeplug through USB (it doesn’t have an ethernet socket)

You can send USB over Ethernet (using additional hardware), but last time I looked it wouldnt be worth the hassle for a printer (unless it’s something special).

I’ve been using homeplugs for a few years now, think they are probably the best bit of tech I’ve bought for a long time…totally hassle free.

jeff

I’ve used the old (white) and new (black) comtrend adapters together with no problems.

They are usually paired, so it’s a case of setting adapters #3 + #4 to use the same key as the first two, and you’re away.

Wouldn’t mix brands.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Glad this topic came up as I’ve been thinking of buying these too as my sons ps3 is very slow on wireless.

Sorry to hijack but do they work with any modem/router or do you need one specific to the plugs?

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

They should work fine as long as your router has ethernet & I’m sure most do.

Have had a netgear set for years, the only drama I have is that my DAB radio does not work well when the plugs are turned on – I tend to only switch them on when needed

wors

Got my tv plugged into one for iplayer etc, brilliant bits of kit!

5thElefant
    Free Member

I use network plugs and a Belkin Network USB Hub. It’s a USB hug that you plug into your network. It then appears on your PC as a local USB hub.

xiphon
    Free Member

Homeplugs are great – unless you’ve got multiple electrical loops in the house, and you plug them on different circuits.

Certainly had that problem back in 2006, so things might have improved since then..

breatheeasy
    Free Member

do they work with any modem/router or do you need one specific to the plugs?

As long as the modem/router has an ethernet connection in the back there’ll be fine (and that’ll be 99.9% of modems). You can actually buy a nice little ADSL modem with homeplug built-in which tidies things up too.

I also have a wireless printer which struggles to connect, so I’m think I could use the Homeplugs too.

You can also get wifi extenders that work with homeplug, so maybe that’s an idea – plug it in close to the printer and hopefully it’ll have a strong enough signal to be less flaky.

Gary_M
    Free Member

ah that’s fine, got 4 ethernet sockets on the back of the router and I have 2 cables running, untidily, upstairs from them hence the need for homeplugs.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Thanks folks.
    Think I know what I need know.

dobo
    Free Member

i’m using the tplink ones, seem to be preety cheap and smaller than some others, they dont have pass through like some but are small enough to only take up one socket unlike some others..

i have router to homeplug to another homeplug upstairs that connects to a wireless access point/router for the printer and nas.

jamiec360
    Free Member

As mentioned above easier to use all from same brand. The so wise piggy6 is fantastic bit of kit, got my router, tv and HTPC all wired into it, it’s a round 6 socket surge protector with a 3 port switch built into it, just plug it in and instant switch plus power for all my av kit.

I run mine with devolo 200mbps av+ plugs to my pc upstairs and printer but in the old house had them connecting up to my 360 in the bedroom so I could use it as media centre extender since tv signal was so poor and have sat tuners in the HTPC running MCE.

That said getting the two brands to talk to each other was a bit of a pain since each manufacturer sets the network password to something different but after a lot of faffing and a couple of mails/calls to so wise got it sorted, their support nods were excellent.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

ooh, had an idea. I’ve got a Buffalo Linkstation NAS presently directly connected to the router. Apparently that can work as a print server…
    If I sit that next to the printer, connected via USB, and connect the NAS through Homeplugs to the router, it’ll work! And will probably be cheaper and easier than access points.

Sorted!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Potentially stupid question but can homeplugs be used plugged into an extension lead? I can’t see why not but just in case they have to be plugged directly into a socket.

oxym0r0n

Potentially stupid question but can homeplugs be used plugged into an extension lead? I can’t see why not but just in case they have to be plugged directly into a socket.

IIRC It’s not recommended that you connect home plugs into extension leads. Having said that, I’ve done it no problems – 1930s house with not many sockets!

Gary_M
    Free Member

late 1990’s house with not many sockets here

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I read that they don’t work properly with extension sockets that have surge protection. Not sure if that’s true?

Rio

I read that they don’t work properly with extension sockets that have surge protection. Not sure if that’s true?

Probably depends on the surge protector – I’ve got it to work through a “protected” extension but speed seems to be better if you go from a normal socket.

iain1775
    Free Member

Didn’t work for me, we have different electrical circuits upstairs and downstairs and in the rear extension, couldn’t plug them in where I needed and get them to work
    Have a similar problem in that Now we have virgin the router is too far from the ps3, tried a netgear wireless extender but can’t get the ps3 to talk to it
    Also the ps3 and the iPhones won’t stay connected to wifi even if there is a strong signal, they keep disconnecting and won’t reconnect automatically (seems worse since ios5 upgrade) anyone any ideas?

xiphon
    Free Member

iaian1775 – look at changing the wireless channel.

On ’11’ we got very poor signal, due to everyone around us having the same channel (or very close to it – 10 or 12) as it’s default on much kit.

Changed to ‘3’ and everything flie along nicely…

iain1775
    Free Member

Cheers but how? I know nothing about computers even less about routers!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Just find the wifi settings in your router config page, it’ll become obvious.

coffeeking
    Free Member

The only issues I have with homeplug setups is the fact that essentially you’re creating a wired network with anyone on the same phase as you in your village. Leaving it potentially crackable by anyone with a bit of time and a permanently connected PC.

iain1775
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member
    Just find the wifi settings in your router config page, it’ll become obvious.
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

That’s the prob, when I true to go to the router config page I get page not recognised Internet explorer screen

xiphon
    Free Member

Most likely one of these:

http://192.168.0.1/

http://192.168.1.1/

admin is the usual username, and the password should be on the bottom of the router itself.

dobo
    Free Member

The only issues I have with homeplug setups is the fact that essentially you’re creating a wired network with anyone on the same phase as you in your village. Leaving it potentially crackable by anyone with a bit of time and a permanently connected PC.

Can my neighbour steal my internet connection if he has a HomePlug?
    No, the electricity meter acts as block on the signals that are transmitted across the network, so there is no chance of them leaking out on to the public wiring and your neighbours picking them up.

What stops HomePlug from working, will they work with extension Lead?
    Avoid surge protected / Filtered mains extension blocks as these block the HomePlug signal. Long extension leads will degrade the signal so it is best practice to plug the HomePlug directly into a wall socket.

from an unofficial source

coffeeking
    Free Member

Can my neighbour steal my internet connection if he has a HomePlug?
    No, the electricity meter acts as block on the signals that are transmitted across the network, so there is no chance of them leaking out on to the public wiring and your neighbours picking them up

I’d like to see proof of that – I’m not sure the meter does provide any high frequency blocking, but I could be wrong.

iain1775
    Free Member

Well mine didn’t work een within the house because of different circuits, signal wouldn’t pass through the fusebox SI I don’t see how it could get around the village

xiphon
    Free Member

You do know that the HomePlug system uses encryption between the devices, so it’s not like your broadcasting data for everyone to intercept and read…

MrOvershoot

Your direct neighbour is unlikely to be on the same phase as you.
    IIRC
    example
    You P1 Red
    Next door P2 Yellow
    next door but one P3 Blue
    Next door x 2 P1 Red (same as you but some distance away)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Anyone any experience of the 7Dayshop 200mbps homeplugs?
    Look to be very good value.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘IT question – Homeplug networking’ is closed to new replies.