Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • IT Question?
  • BBR
    Free Member

How can i see if any other computers are connecting to my wireless internet. My provider is telling me that i'm exceeding my download limit and there is only me in the house so i guess one of my neighbours is using my connection.. yes, it's unsecured but it's never been a problem before.

Thanks

clareymorris

Oh eck, I would get it secured pretty quickly if I were you……..you don't want someone logging onto it and blocking you out!!

fozzybear
    Free Member

without sounding like an ass, clearly it's an issue now 😉

know anyone who does IT stuff. (i had to secure my sisters recently as the granny 3 doors down was doing the same.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

RTFM – enable security

chvck
    Free Member

Somewhere on your router is probably a feature to view all connected devices, have a look at that and then enable WPA security!

tinribz
    Free Member

Go to the router admin pages, depending on your router (google it) it will something like http://192.168.0.1 there should be something that says 'Attached devices' or currently connected.

Sometimes people can connect remotely and steal your bandwidth if you don't change the default passwords, tells you how on youtube.

AlasdairMc

On XP:

Double click the wireless connection icon in the taskbar, then click the Support tab. The default gateway is the IP address of your router. Type this address into your browser and you'll get the login page of your router.

Google for the default username and password for your model of router (admin/password seems to be a favourite) and you can see the connected devices, and possibly also a log of devices that have ever connected.

Enable WPA security and set a passphrase that you'll remember. Save your settings and your router will kick you out. Next time you try to connect to it you'll be prompted for the same passphrase (it should only ask you once as your PC will remember it).

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

My router has what it calls a "client filter" for putting in MAC addresses of machines you want to allow to connect to it. In that config page you can find out what's connected.

hp_source

As the above posts for getting on the router, the list of attached machines could also be listed under a section called 'DHCP leases' or similar.

If you really don't want it to be secure then you could always turn off the router when you're not surfing.. obviously when you're on someone else could be too, but it should cut down freeloaders if it's not regularly available to them.

JulianA
    Free Member

Whyever would anyone be happy with an unsecured wireless network?

If someone's downloading illegal stuff they'll come knocking on your door first…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Enable security and change your SSID to something offensive

enfht
    Free Member

RTFM FFS 🙄

fozzybear
    Free Member

if your security is that lax, they could easy get access to your pc, your files, your personal information, insert programs to watch what you do, monitor your key strokes, gain passwords and card information..

you should be protecting yourself if they are dodgy enough to be downloading films via your internet what else are they doing?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘IT Question?’ is closed to new replies.