Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • it numpty – port fwding help on dlink router
  • scotia
    Free Member

trying to setup my synology nas to do a little bit of bit torrent, and my mate whos in IT (& gave me an outline of what i need to do) is away for 6wks out of contact.. so i thought i’d ask here..

He’s told me to fwd the port 16881 to one of the ones on the nas (ie. 80).

I have a d-link 655 router but i dont follow what i need to input to actually get this to happen.. There are helps on the dlink page but i dont speak the same language it seems!

Whats TCP & UDP? on the synology Bit-T thingy it mentions TCP = 16881 but not the UDP..

I was thinking i need to put in the IP of the nas and then this port 16881 and that somewhere i’d be able to say fwd to 80.. but im not getting it..

Anyone from all of that nonsense able to help??

Thanks in advance!

Drac

http://portforward.com

Always helpful that page.

scotia
    Free Member

i found that site last night but couldnt make head no tail of it.. 🙁

all i get is pages offering buying software..

im on a mac if that makes any difference..? Im sure i did this before but years ago when i was less of an IT numpty..

Cougar

What are you trying to do? Expose the NAS management page to the outside world?

scotia
    Free Member

No! 😯
    this is what i was afraid of once i started reading about port fwding..

using the nas to deal with bit-torrents is what im trying to do..using the ‘download station’

Cougar

Then I think you’re at angry dolphins (or the NAS is doing something I don’t understand). What’s port 80 got to do with anything?

Hypothetically it should Just Work. If I remember rightly though, I had issues with mine (on a PC rather than a NAS) and ended up having to set up the inbound port manually on the router. I think off the top of my head it was a case of adding a firewall rule to allow inbound TCP connections on (large_port_number) to the PC, but I’ve slept since then. I’d have to check when I get home.

peterfile
    Free Member

This is free if you need it

scotia
    Free Member

ok cougar you lost me with angry dolphins…

i was just going from the email that he sent to me, port 80 is currently free.

I’ll just continue to use vuze manually!

thanks for the help.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘it numpty – port fwding help on dlink router’ is closed to new replies.