Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • It may be a sore point but are a lot of people on here…..
  • oldfart

Quite good at talking about bikes and riding but don’t actually do much of it ? 🙂

scotroutes

Define “much”. Then we can see who measures up to your standard.

matt_outandabout

How very dare you!

pictonroad

I’d have thought that laying off biking for a bit would be good if you’ve got a particularly sore point.

Have you tried alternating hands?

parkesie
    Free Member

If no one talked about bikes that part of the form would be quiet.

bearnecessities

I thought this was pistonheads?

Toddboy
    Free Member

……..and here’s me, thinking that this was a mountain bike forum 🙄

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

…Sell stuff to punters who email them from the classifieds, without taking any notice of people who respond directly to their ads 🙄

I talk about them a lot and like to think I’m a half decent rider. I tend to have quite a few lay offs though, either due to injury or working away from home

chakaping
    Free Member

There does seem to be limited crossover between the active members of the STW Strava group and the active members of the bike forum.

Personally I usually manage six hours a week or so, but would like to do more. Wouldn’t claim to be any good though – and wouldn’t judge others whose circumstances might make it harder to get out.

jekkyl

your point of view Op is one that’s bandied about from time to time but on some threads like weekend riding plans or pictures it’s clear that a lot of people actually do do a lot of cycling. I try to get out at least twice a week on rides varying from 15 to 20 miles depending on the terrain, so speaking for myself yes I do cycle. Do you?

jam-bo

96 rides this year in 234 days according to strava.

With a full time job and kids that’s not a bad ratio.

jamj1974

Wouldn’t be any point for me being on here if I didn’t ride. Riding bikes is legitimised play for me!

fifeandy
    Free Member

120 rides, 3100mi in 2016, does that count?

scotroutes

I’m still waiting for the OP to give us a benchmark so we can tell if we’re worthy.

vickypea
    Free Member

I do MTB and road biking. I ride 2 to 3 times a week, week in, week out. At least one ride will be an MTB ride. I have a trip to the Alps and at least 1 long weekend away in the UK for MTB.
    From the tone of the OP, they’ll probably look down on that as a poor effort, but I’m 48 with a full-time job and a family. If I had fewer responsibilities, I’d be doing more.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I don’t even have any bikes, not on strava either.. 😀

On the other hand people ride there bikes when they can, people with family’s probably don’t get out as much as people with no responsibility’s or commitments.

I’m thinking of getting out on the bike today at least with my boy, but mrs wants us to go to some scare crow fair!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I don’t own a car so I do a minimum of 12 miles a day during the week. If its nice and I have the time I can do double that on the off road commute. I usually pop out of the office on my lunch hour to clear my head and have a pint at a riverside pub 4 miles away. I ride at the weekends both days as it is my hobby as well as my mode of transport.
    But yes, my talking about bikes is at a far higher standard then my riding.

matt_outandabout

strava stw group

Since when did strava have anything to do with bike riding?

ton

is 6000 miles per year enought to allow me to talk shit on here?

qwerty
    Free Member

I ride from the doorstep whenever I can, work, family & weather allowing (and currently injury). I don’t really record stuff. Oh and a 3 mile pootle to work when working too. HTHs. I talk shite on here at any given opportunity.

Sandwich

Vicky wait until the commitments reduce when the smaller peas(mangetoute?) leave . Lots of time frees up especially if Mr P rides.

MoreCashThanDash

Slow year for me as my commuting is well down but 300 miles off road so far and 1600 on road. Even ridden the velodrome twice!

But as I don’t do Strava it didn’t happen….

Houns

2 or 3 shortish rides this year. Bikes covered in dust. It’s ok though as hardly talk about bikes

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m certainly guilty of more posting then riding, I joined up here around Feb solely because this place seemed to have far more active fatbike (especially Voodoo Wazoo) posts than anywhere else I had came across.

My cycling confidence took a massive hit after my surreal RTA on 23rd Dec 2013 @ ~0645, days after turning 40 (re-arranging my jaw/nose and right-hand, due to complete brake failure and smashing into the back of a dustbin lorry). The lengthy rehab destroyed my previous fitness levels, while my general health has got worse too (just part of getting older more than anything else I guess), making it far too easy to commute by bus for the cost of a £5 weekly ticket… Especially on windy and/or rainy days!

This year has been by far the least amount of cycling I’ve done for well over a decade, it has really got me down, but I’ve been commuting again by bike for the last couple of weeks after a summer cold that hit me for six and loving that sense of freedom again. 😀

cookeaa

Not all my mileage is on Strava, and like others I have the excuse of having kids and a fulltime job, but I am not keen on the whole mileage/lifestyle based pissing contest anyway. ~1800 mixed miles so far this year which isn’t as much as I would have liked/hoped but it is what I have done… It’s what my lifestyle, commitments and health have allowed me to do, should I be ashamed?

Having a bicycle is enough to make you a cyclist in my book, why should anything else really matter?
    But then there’s using personal stats to try and denigrate others cyclists habits as being in some way substandard, below some acceptable par, or less of a cyclist, that just makes you a cyclist who also happens to be a bit of a prick…

ton

come on oldfart…….let us know what you do so we can see if you qualify. i reckon i piss all over your distance. 😆

maxtorque

To be honest, I don’t really like mountain biking, i’m just here for the chicks!

oh, wait…………… 😕

oldtalent
    Free Member

Is it really all about distance though? All sounds a bit xc/roadie to me, grim faced grinding out miles.
    Thats not my idea of enjoyment whilst riding a bike.

chainslapp
    Free Member

Has the OP’s account been hacked by a troll??

ton

oldtalent, no mate not roadie at all. my riding is made up from canalside paths, ncn routes, local cycle paths, local woods and cheekiness and a bit of loaded cycle touring for good measure.
    it is all bikes tho innit…… ;o)

oldnpastit

I’ve just had a week of wandering around lost in the FoD on a bike. Does that qualify me?

gauss1777
    Free Member

Who gives a …?
    The forum appears to appeal to a wide variety of people, most of whom are interested in cycling in one form or another. I ride every day, sometimes on my mountain bike, but I doubt if I ever ride it to a standard that you’d call it mountain biking.
    Op: not everybody is you.

onandon
    Free Member

If I didn’t ride bikes, there is very little reason to put up with you stroakers 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member

strava stw group

Since when did strava have anything to do with bike riding?[/quote]
    I think since they set up an activity based tracking app for bike riders, careful you don’t let your judgement get in the way 😉

Distance 1,993.2 km
    Time 161h 42m
    Elev Gain 55,284 m
    Rides 161

and it tells me this for the year, all on the MTB with about 6 weeks out ill.

fin25
    Free Member

Quite good at talking about bikes and riding but don’t actually do much of it.

This is me, sorry. 😳

Only get one weekend off a month though. 😥

pipiom
    Free Member

Struggling through long term injury ATM and visiting this forum keeps me focused, and laughing (so long as it’s not at my outrageous,unridden, Hightower

timraven

Life and work get in the way, but I try to get out at least once a week, only ride MTB. Carpal tunnel at present too, so it hurts to ride and pains me not to ride.

I’ve given up on Strava it was sapping the fun from riding and that’s why I ride.

stewartc
    Free Member

According to Strava its 1572km so far but only managed this over 61 rides this year, rexkon I could do more if I didn’t spend so much time online.

beej

2016:

Distance: 6,843.8 km
    Time: 266h 22m
    Elev Gain: 64,938 m
    Rides: 173

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘It may be a sore point but are a lot of people on here…..’ is closed to new replies.