Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • It makes my blood boil! (BBC content)
  • Aristotle
    Free Member

Only available through a DAT radio or computer is not easily accessible. Not to me anyway.

It is available via the following:

DAB, Iplayer, Freeview, Sky, Virgin Cable.

Many people will have access to at least one of the above.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Not sure I understand your point. XFM is ok as well, if you could get it where I live I'd probably listen to it. It's like 6Music only not as good.

XFM (as received in Manchester) has far too limited a playlist and devotes too much time to football at the weekends (or it did before I gave up on it).

Edric64
    Free Member

I have found 6 online I will have a listen and see if I like it enough to care about it's possible demise.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kevonakona
    Free Member

DezB if it weren't for some select parts of R1 then alot of good music would be still undiscovered. But other BBC stations do this at a fraction of the cost. I'd liek to see what the tail off of listener statistics is when R1 stops playing "commercial" programmes. I'd hazard a guess that the numbers listening to the cutting edge stuff are almost comparable across the network.

alecangus
    Free Member

Here's a feel for the figures

Edric64
    Free Member

So get rid of Ross and Robinson and keep 6?

Edric64
    Free Member

Well so far I like the sound of 6 so maybe I care .It's a shame I can't get it in the van

Aristotle
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member

Well so far I like the sound of 6 so maybe I care .It's a shame I can't get it in the van

You've just about hit the nail on the clichéd head.

DAB didn't take off so 6Music didn't get massive listener numbers, but the BBC aren't really promoting it anyway because it might be 'too competitive' if it does get more listeners.

to use another annoying cliché: Go figure.

soulrider
    Free Member

as far as the BBC goes..

I listen to 6Music and Radio4 – and 5Live Sports Xtra (for the cricket)
    on TV – Spooks, Heroes and on the News on a morning (for the lovely Catriona Shearer (Scottish news presenter))
    and the occasional nature program worth.

Now they are robbing us of the best music radio channel going dumbass fools.
    I should stop paying my License fee. (however I will meekly keep paying it cos I have to to watch all my other ITV and SKY channels)

freeform5spot
    Free Member

when will it be pulled from the 'airwaves' then?

Aristotle
    Free Member

Next year, apparently, although it will presumably be run-down as people leave/are made redundant.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

End of 2011 is the date given in the release earlier.

saxabar
    Free Member

Fight the Power on now – brilliant! 😆

Aristotle
    Free Member

Fight the Power on now – brilliant!

I requested that, along with many others!

DezB
    Free Member

DezB if it weren't for some select parts of R1 then alot of good music would be still undiscovered

Not sure why you're telling me that, as that was my point.

DAB Had one – it was shit
    Iplayeron a computer
    Freeview, Sky, Virgin Cable. Listening to the radio through the TV? Huh?

zokes
    Free Member

Listening to the radio through the TV? Huh?

Remarkably simple, just change the channel, like you would to a TV station…

Aristotle
    Free Member

It's not radio/'wireless' in the traditional sense and it may appear akin to witchcraft to the un-enlightened Luddite, but take a leap of faith and try it.

Or do as we do:

Cable box to an amplifier to speakers, bypassing the TV altogether.

roper
    Free Member

I think they need to get rid of Mark Thompson instead.
    The BBC has been decomposing far too long and he has not improved it in any noticable way. News and journalism are now full exaggerations and misinformation, his over reaction to the Brand/Ross thing has restricted creativity within comedy and entertainment and now he wants to shut down more creativity in 6 music. What has he actually done to improve the BBC? Jeeez what an a****ole.

zokes
    Free Member

And he's already talking of 6Music in the past-tense. Hmmmmm.

I have to agree with the post some way above. It seems he doesn't want 6Music to grow because otherwise it would compete with commercial competitors, yet spends millions promoting tripe on R1, R2 etc. If those stations at prime time do not compete with commercial radio, what does? The very reason most listeners are so aggrieved is because there is NO commercial alternative.

Sense this does not make…

Aristotle
    Free Member

The cynic may say that that 6Music has been offered up as a (blatantly non-commercial….)sacrifice to appease their commercial rivals, saving their truly commercial MOR-pop-plugging flagship stations R1 & 2.

I wonder if they anticipated the scale of the backlash?

DezB
    Free Member

Remarkably simple, just change the channel, like you would to a TV station…

Yeah, right. Sorry family you can't watch TV, I'm listening to 6Music. Practical that.

BigJohn

If I can make a specific recommendation to those here who are going to try 6 music for the first time – Craig Charles Funk & Soul Show on Saturday evenings. Yes I know you all think he's an idiot, (and last week he read a text that asked why it's called Radio 6 Music, not Radio 6 Incessant Wittering) but it plays some wonderful stuff for bopping round the kitchen while making the dinner.

Oh, and there are some who think this is another Heinz Salad Cream ploy – announce it's being killed off and then watch it take off.

But hey, Richard Bacon has a show on 6 Music, so at least seeing him being sacked would ease my pain.

verses

But hey, Richard Bacon has a show on 6 Music, so at least seeing him being sacked would ease my pain.

Don't forget George Lamb 😉

That's the only silver lining I can find in all this…

BigJohn

And my usual listening medium is:

tune into 6 on the iPlayer,
    stick the laptop next to the amp,
    connect a cable from the earphone socket to the amp,
    put the message in a box,
    put the box into the car,
    drive the car around the wo-orld
    till you've been heard.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Don't forget George Lamb

That's the only silver lining I can find in all this…

Maybe he could 'take one for the team' and do what a defeated samurai would do, but with his fog horn. It may be enough to save 6Music.

BigJohn

I thought about George Lamb, but that was too easy a target.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

For people that find Mark Radcliffe funy, its probably great, but seeing as they lost however many million listeners when they were given the radio 1 breakfast show (they had the lowest ever figures IIRS?) I dont think I'm alone in thinking they just aren't funny in the slightest.

If it was going to the effort of listening to internet radio it'd be pirate.fm, spotify or Zane Lowe's shows on radio1.

verses

I do find Mark Radcliffe funny, but he's not on 6music 😕

Zane's show is good, but that's only any good if you happen to be listening at 7pm 4 days a week, the rest of the time R1's not my cup of tea.

Spotify is very handy, but I like the enthusiasm the 6music DJs have for the music, plus it's nice to have them feed me music tips rather than having to search them out myself.

Not heard of pirate.fm, I'll give it a look.

Edit: Obviously the DJ formally known as 'The boy Lard' is on 6music.

soobalias
    Free Member

"i wonder if they anticipated the scale of the backlash?"

ha ha ha funniest thing ive read all day, what a couple of dozen stuffy middle class mountainbikers who want to relive their youth "bopping round the kitchen cooking tea on a saturday"

🙂

the beeb must be terrified.

from all of your own admissions, the playlist is patchy and the presenters are irritating – that is commercial radio isnt it?

CountZero

DezB, there's this thing, called Sky Multiroom. You may have heard of it, it allows you to watch/listen to satellite broadcasting in more than one room.
    SooBalias, you're talking crap, the one really irritating presenter has been shifted, the rest, like Lauren Lavern are very knowlegable, and incredibly enthusiastic, and the playlist isn't patchy at all, it's amazingly diverse and plays a huge variety of music of all styles from the 1920's onwards. Listening for ten minutes now and then doesn't give anything like the full flavour of the station. As far as listening figures are concerned, those given cannot and do not give a real picture; they do not include anyone listening online, via computer or phone or satellite. The **** in charge who says they want to shut down stations that commercial radio can do as well is obviously working with the likes of Murdoch, as there is no commercial station anywhere that does what 6Music does. It's quite simply unique.

zokes
    Free Member

Yeah, right. Sorry family you can't watch TV, I'm listening to 6Music. Practical that.

Or buy a DAB radio, like one day you may have to do anyway, or even (heaven forbid) use the PC. They've had speakers for a remarkably long time now! What do you do when more than one programme is on at once? Or for that matter, how do you listen to FM radio in the same room as the TV the family is watching?

SOOBAlias appears to have no brain – not a Radio 1 listener are you?

Jamie
    Free Member

SooBalias, you're talking crap

You say that like its something new.

roper
    Free Member

ha ha ha funniest thing ive read all day, what a couple of dozen stuffy middle class mountainbikers who want to relive their youth "bopping round the kitchen cooking tea on a saturday"

because some people complain about it on a mountain bike web site you presume all their listeners are mountain bikers.
    Genius

soobalias
    Free Member

craig charles, george lamb, shaun keaveny, nemoan, marc riley!

well that five for starters.

agree that lauren and steve are worth their weight – i would hope to see them join R2 as that seems set to cover popular music not specifically aimed at the youth market.

Radio 2 needed to "sharpen its distinctiveness in its range of music and speech"

R6 is too limited by digital/internet broadcasting, its no longer public service and the majority of the digital age think that its a load of old tosh.

whats the facebook count up to now eh?

did someone start a petition.gov yet?

Never listen to the radio at home, so have never heard it.

And I'm sure I'll manage without the Asian channel.

So meh.

DezB
    Free Member

i would hope to see them join R2 as that seems set to cover popular music not specifically aimed at the youth market.

ie. old shit. You can keep that, cheers

kennyp
    Free Member

As far as I'm concerned, as long as the BBC keeps Radio 4 they can scrap every other TV and radio channel they have. That could just be me getting old though.

Blower
    Free Member

Well said Countzero..

onewheelgood

We aren't the only ones who have a problem with George Lamb

neilforrow

radio 1 doest ‘do it’ for me anymore, in-fact it does me in, cant stand to listen to it… now where does that leave me; Radio 2? Chris Evans with his housewives and kid’s phone in, Make up & break up’s, Simon Maio. No thanks. (although sounds of the 60’s is worth tuning in for).

In general, BBC radio passes me by, as there is a chasm in the market. That changed with 6 music. Quality music combined with genuine presenters who are passionate, funny, witty and informed while providing a value for money service. I feel one of the fundamental problems is the DAB format, a lot of listeners cannot get 6music at peak times (commuting). I would listen to 6 more if I had a DAB in my car.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘It makes my blood boil! (BBC content)’ is closed to new replies.