Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • IT Help required
  • mk1fan
    Free Member

Right. My computer has stopped opening xhtml files. I certainly haven't intentially deleted any programe files.

I'm running Vista at the moment but am considering upgrading to Windows Seven. Would this re-instal the needed reader?

I am NOT computer literate.

Any help would be appreciated.

TN
    Free Member

What happens when you try to? Do you get any errors? Does it try to open it but in a different program? When did ut happen – have you applied any updates or installed any new applications around the same time?

mk1fan
    Free Member

Not sure when it happened. I looked at a website page about three weeks ago and it opened automatically. I went back about a week ago and it gives me an option box. The box asks if I want to save the file or find a program online to open it. It doesn't give me the option to open it. It says that the file type is unkown, it's name is guide.xhtml

When I download it and try to open it on the computer I get a message saying unknown file, do you want windows to check online for a program to open it.

I ran a defrag about two weeks ago. I don't know of anyother xhtml files to check that it's not a problem with the web site.

uplink
    Free Member

just point it in the direction of your web browser

GrahamS

I would guess that it might be an issue with the website rather than your PC.

Can you view the same site on the same internet browser (i.e. same version) on a different PC?
    (or post the site address here)

mk1fan
    Free Member

It's the 'seasonaires guide' at the bottom of this page http://www.thesearchmtb.com/

It opened just fine when I clicked on it a few weeks ago.

uplink
    Free Member

Opens fine in Firefox, Chrome
    Like I said – point it in the direction of your web browser when it asks

GrahamS

Yep, what browser are you using? I'm guessing an older version of IE?

Technical:
    That page is served up as "application/xhtml+xml" which old browsers won't handle.

"Most web browsers have mature support for all of the possible XHTML media types. The notable exception is Internet Explorer by Microsoft; rather than rendering application/xhtml+xml content, a dialog box invites the user to save the content to disk instead. Both Internet Explorer 7 (released in 2006) and Internet Explorer 8 (released in March 2009) exhibit this behavior, and it is unclear whether this will be resolved in a future release.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XHTML#Adoption

I'd contact the web guru of that site and point him to these sources.

freddyg
    Free Member

Yep, it's internet explorer that's the problem. Opens fine in Firefox but in IE8 I get the same error.

uplink
    Free Member

Opens in IE6.0 but text only

mk1fan
    Free Member

I've just tried my Parent's PC and get the same message. I think we're both IE8.

This is why I hate computers. Last month it opened directly, no messages, no fixing it, it opened.

Now it doesn't.

Wish I'd pdf'd it the first time round. Oh well. I'll e-mail Nick tonight.

Thanks guys.

I'd buy a MAC if I could run AutoCAD on it.

cranberry
    Free Member

Install Firefox and use that.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Install????? Look, I can turn the computer on and off and change the background. But installing software? I may bring down civilisation 🙂

GrahamS

This is why I hate computers. Last month it opened directly, no messages, no fixing it, it opened.

Sometime between then and now someone change the Content-Type of that page on your web server. Nothing to do with your PC.

I'd buy a MAC if I could run AutoCAD on it.

Wouldn't really make any odds. It's a browser + badly tested website issue, not a PC issue.

Use Firefox, Safari, Opera or any decent browser other than IE and it will be fine (though obviously the website should still be fixed for IE users).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘IT Help required’ is closed to new replies.