Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • IT gurus….need help with sons net book…..
  • BFITH
    Free Member

My son got a netbook for christmas (acer aspire one with windows 7 starter), so i thought i’d be clever and set myself up as an administrator and him as a standard user.
    Anyway wahtever i did, i did it wrong because i come up as a standard user now, with no administrator rights. And i cant change my user config because im not an administrator. I cant set up a new user as an administrator either…..just keep getting this message:

And as you can see its asking me for a password with nowhere to type it!!!

Please help!!

allthepies
    Free Member

Is the password box revealed if you click on the Show details arrow ?

But more importantly, why is windows wanting to run system restore ? 😯

BFITH
    Free Member

no…box not revealed….
    I was trying to the restore to try to resolve the problem…but that message comes up whenever you try to install programs, open ms ofice etc etc

cranberry
    Free Member

Try and create an administrator account. Open a command prompt and type in:

net user administrator /active:yes

Log on with this account and make yourself a member of the “administrators” group.

BFITH
    Free Member

Tried that….. Just says : System error 5 has occurred. access is denied.
    Any other ideas?

Gordy
    Free Member

Could it be that your only remaining admin account is disabled? Can you reboot into Safe Mode and see if you can enable one of the admin accounts, whether it be the built-in one or your own account.

BFITH
    Free Member

How do I reboot in safe mode?

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Have you tried to log in as ‘Administrator’, rather that your own login? There should be a default Administrator account. Potentially with a blank password, if you never set it up…?

Mikeypies
    Free Member

It you are stuck or if everything you need is backed up there is a backup partition so you can just roll it back to as it was out the box, not ideal but will give you a clean slate.

BFITH
    Free Member

I can’t log in as an administrator, that’s the whole problem. There are 2 user accounts , my sons and mine, but neither of us are administrators at the moment

No backup set up either…..

BFITH
    Free Member

Think I’m sorted now …….. Managed to log on as administrator in safe mode and make myself an administrator….. Thanks for your efforts…..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘IT gurus….need help with sons net book…..’ is closed to new replies.