Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • IT gooroos – Accessing a VPN from Iphone
  • BFITH
    Free Member

I think I’ve managed to access a remote VPN (a client of mine has given me access to their server)on my iphone (ideal for when im away from my PC)…but how do i physically access the files i need?
    Do i need to download some sort of app?

All help appreciated

CountZero

Yes, there are a number of apps, free and paid for. Just do a Goog for iPhone VPN apps, you should get quite a few hits.
    Not something I use, so I can’t recommend anything, I’m afraid.

Alphabet

I use “2X Client” from my iPhone. It’s a free app and works well.

BFITH
    Free Member

That one doesnt seem to work for me….wont connect.
    I have the connection set up on my phone…just need a vehicle for actually looking at the files……

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

you could try something like this FileBrowser although I’ve never used it….

I presume you mean you want to access a CIFS/Windows file share correct?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

There is a built in VPN client on the iPhone (settings / VPN)… so you shouldn’t need anything additional to connect in the first place.

I’m guessing what you are actually after is some sort of remote desktop client?

If it’s a windows server then I can recommend iRemoteDesktop which is free on the appstore from HanaMobile. I use it all the time to remote support servers in work or even to connect to my office PC.

BFITH
    Free Member

sprocketjockey: yes! …. I have the connection, as you say, through settings/VPN etc….just need some way of viewing the files….is that what iremotedesktop does?

Cougar

You’re trying to access files on a Windows server on a network you’re VPNing into? Try looking on iTunes for something along the lines of “SMB” or “Samba”.

Cougar

Google would suggest that an app called “FileBrowser” may fit the bill.

zilog6128

A lot of people (like me) use GoodReader as an all-in-one file manager/viewer. You can create a server connection from that to a SMB/FTP/WebDAV/etc server.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

sprocketjockey: yes! …. I have the connection, as you say, through settings/VPN etc….just need some way of viewing the files….is that what iremotedesktop does?

If it’s a windows server then it will allow you to open a session on it – ie have a windows desktop running on your iphone.

If it’s just simple access to files then as above filebrowser or something similar would fit the bill.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘IT gooroos – Accessing a VPN from Iphone’ is closed to new replies.