• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by xora.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • IT doods – automatic SFTP download/upload Q
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

I currently manually upload files to a client via SFTP – works great.

There is a possibility that in the future I may need to download about 3000 files from them every day, work on them and upload them back.

Downloading is going to start at about 7am so I’d like to automate this so that when files appear in their source directory I’d like them to be downloaded to my system.
    Similarly once files appear in a specified folder on my system they would automatically be uploaded to the client.

Solutions?

allthegear
    Free Member

You might want to research into rsync. It will only download the changes rather than the whole set each time. That might help?

Rachel

richc
    Free Member

As ^^^^ said, seems like a candidate for cron and rsync tbh.

You will also need to put some monitoring in place to ensure it works, nothing difficult if you can script a little.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I shall investigate, ta 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

Hmm, rsync is going to require rsync server running at my clients’. That’s not going to happen.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Dropbox / Google Drive maybe?

zigzag69
    Free Member

If on windows PC, WinSCP, synchronize and keepuptodate might do the trick?

https://winscp.net/eng/docs/task_keep_up_to_date#automation

https://winscp.net/eng/docs/scriptcommand_keepuptodate

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Ah, just remembered I’ve used Robocopy in the past – that might be worth looking into…

xora

Hmm, rsync is going to require rsync server running at my clients’. That’s not going to happen.

No it doesn’t it requires ssh server (which you already have for sftp) and rsync binary on remote machine.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘IT doods – automatic SFTP download/upload Q’ is closed to new replies.