Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • It can't possibly have been that long ago, surely?
  • binners

I feel really, really old now 😯

Oh well… I think I’ll play it cranked up to 11 later, on general principle. It still sounds bloody brilliant!!!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfH8qHFvEEY&feature=kp[/video]

Anyone got tickets for them playing it in its entirety at the Royal Festival Hall then? If so, I hate you!

Northwind

A worrying number of gigs I’ve been to recently were 20th anniversary shows

senorj

I love that album.

peterfile
    Free Member

On 31 August 1996 (I was 15), a few friends and I told our parents that we were camping in my back garden. Which we did…until the blinds were shut at the back of my house and then we jumped over the back fence and cycled all the way to Irvine Beach Park.

We sat on one of the big hills in the beach park, watching the Underworld gig. 4 of the best pals in the world, with cheap cider, listening to one of the best tunes in the world (Born Slippy) having just escaped from our parents for the evening. I’d be surprised if I’m not still smiling when I think of that night when i’m 80 🙂 It was the first time I’d ever been that close to a gig, and found the whole thing completely intoxicating.

I’ve seen them since, but it will never match up to that night!

GregMay
    Free Member

20 years…ok that is surprising. It’s still a fantastic album as well. Much like the “lost” Aphex Twin album that resurfaced a few weeks back – sounds ace and just as new.

hot_fiat

Yep, have been to quite a few 20th anniversary gigs recently. It’s funny looking around the audience & seeing the throng of late 30-something’s.

The dubnobass reissue looks great. It’s always nice listening to rare underworld stuff – I got some great rare / live downloads off the old jbo site before it closed.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone got tickets for them playing it in its entirety at the Royal Festival Hall then? If so, I hate you!

I tried! Sat in the online queue, watched by queue place click down from 250th… to 15th.. then SOLD OUT. Bugger. But by the time I found some they were £1000 or something crazy.

Underworld are one of the few bands to me whose music timeless. All still sounds fresh.
    On a drive yesterday The Misterons Mix was played by my iPod’s shuffle mode – 30 mins of marvellousness. Doesn’t seem to be available any more, but the 2 Riverrun tracks here and here are worth a listen if you’ve not heard em.

By the way, the new Eno-Hyde album ‘High Life’ is rather good.

senorj

the new Eno-Hyde album ‘High Life’ is rather good.

I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve heard so far. They were interviewed on 6music t’other week , they sound like they were having a laugh together.

gogg
    Free Member

Yep, have been to quite a few 20th anniversary gigs recently. It’s funny looking around the audience & seeing the throng of late 30-something’s.

You should have tried going to Captain Sensible’s 60th Birthday Party gig with The Damned, loads of old blokes!!

It was great!!

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

fantastic album. Nice double vinyl at the time too – i remember taking it into work when i was a lad and photocopying all the inner sleeves so i could stick them up on the wall at home 🙂

binners

The sleeve design was by Tomato (Darren Emerson?), and was superb, groundbreaking stuff. Just given the sub-woofer a workout. Hope the neighbours approved! 😀

I’ve just given this a historical perspective by remembering that the day I bought this CD I also bought a Sega Megadrive! 😯

squirrelking
    Free Member

Irvine Beach Park? Really showing your age, can’t remember the last time there was a gig down there!

Junkyard
    Free Member

never ever saw the appeal of them tbh and born slippy – is that the lager chant- is a shocking piece of repetitive gibberish
    How much drugs were you folks on to like that shit?

somafunk

Aww poor Junkyard…no-one invited hime to the illegal rave with all the other cool kids back in the early 90’s.

A producer mate owed me a favour, so i called it in 😀 And as he’s worked with Karl in the past i expect we’ll be at the after party as well.

Oh no…i’m not smug in the slightest……. 😉

RustyNissanPrairie

First heard Rez in a tiny bar/club in Chamonix with a wtf moment that got me into Underworld big style ever since.

‘Witness’ is pretty much on a loop non stop currently.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

never ever saw the appeal of them tbh and born slippy – is that the lager chant- is a shocking piece of repetitive gibberish
    How much drugs were you folks on to like that shit?

I think part of it was due to it being one of those generational shift moments, who would have thought that the track in some film about smack heads would be remembered and the director would go on to direct an Olympic opening ceremony, one of the smack heads would go on to be Obi Wan.

It’s timing 20 years on gives people a sense of Wow 20 years on, I still remember what I was doing when this came out and now look at me in suit/with kids/own a house

peterfile
    Free Member

Irvine Beach Park? Really showing your age, can’t remember the last time there was a gig down there!

Not that old! Was only 15 at the time of that gig. Thinking about it, it’s actually a pretty decent venue for a gig…other than its proximity to Irvine!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I still remember what I was doing when this came out

So do I i was turning it off 😉

Its shit IMHO I doubt the new generation are listening to it as an all time classic so perhaps your zeitgeist comment is the reason.

mogrim

Timeghost

And Junkyard: you’re wrong, sorry 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

And Junkyard: you’re wrong, sorry

+1 (but minus sorry)

binners

JY – I’m sorry, but you’ve never been wronger in your life

And you’re usually wrong 😉

And somafunk ….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG63OtsKC7k[/video]

Junkyard
    Free Member

Given your musical tastes Dez i will take that as a compliment 😉

It is just a drunken lout shouting lager lager lager etc over and over again I genuinely could not listen to it then or now.

As i said I cannot believe it is considered a classic by anyone who was not there at the time.

DezB
    Free Member

Junky Junky Junky. Oh Junky.
    That track isn’t even ON THE ALBUM!

binners

JY – That track isn’t even on that album, which pre-dates it by a few years. Like I said: You’re wrong

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Born slippy isn’t on that album numb nuts.

Cowgirl however is:

Everything, everything, everything,
    I’m invisible, I’m invisible, I’m Invisible

YEAH! 😀

thestabiliser
    Free Member

We’re agreed then!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Pfft.

I remember them doing ‘Underneath the Radar’.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Yeah but pre-emerson they really were a bit poo.

franki
    Free Member

I did buy that album on CD but was disappointed.
    I never really liked anything by Underworld except maybe Rez. Not “proper techno” enough for my tastes.

Can’t believe the hype around Born Slippy especially. It begins nicely enough, then the beat comes in… o.k. when’s it going to kick off though??? … more beats and stupid vocals with no groove to speak of…. is it going to get going in a minute??? … oh it’s finished. Meh.

chakaping
    Free Member

Tune!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfH8qHFvEEY&feature=kp[/video]

Many dance music fans found Born Slippy as annoying as you did Junkyard, but it hasn’t got anything to do with this album.

I was at the launch party for Dubnobass… at The Zap btw. Can’t remember a great deal about it tbh, but I know we all agreed we’d had a marvellous time afterwards.

🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Same! Tune! as binners posted!

To those who don’t get Born Slippy or Underworld. Who gives a shit? Start a thread about music you do like eh? Your cluelessness is not welcome here. 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am not sure you understand how a chat works dez but it rarely involves folk only agreeing iwth you and not dissenting from your world view.

i thought you would have been used to folk questioning your musical tastes by now 😉

I am leaving I meant no offence we all like different stuff but I never really got repetitive stuff tbh.

franki
    Free Member

See ya then DezB.
    I’ll leave you to your pop-chart techno, eh. 😉

binners

JY – We’ve had a conversation about this before. That we’ve probably been in the same places at the same time on many occasions. I know you used to go to the Hac when I worked there, but you never said which night.

Friday or Saturday?

I will judge you (potentially very harshly) on your answer.

DezB
    Free Member

i thought you would have been used to folk questioning your musical tastes by now

You know about as much about my musical taste as you do about Underworld.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Jesus Dez have you left your sense of humour in your music collection 🙄

Only having a laugh and I never meant to cause offence ; I will never mock your musical tastes again.

Binners I mainly went to the Number 1 club and Rhino??? that was the name of the gusy who did it not the club which was down the road from the Hac on the right???/ [ my memories are hazy] and others I am not sure when I used to go there but i would assume it was more likely to be a Saturday than friday
    I always went to Flesh though was that one wednesday a month?? 😯

If it is any consolation i did not like the music much then either
    good when off your head and you wanted to dance but never listened to it when I was not in a club or rave.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Not that old! Was only 15 at the time of that gig. Thinking about it, it’s actually a pretty decent venue for a gig…other than its proximity to Irvine!

Which makes you (dammit, near enough the same age as me…).

Still, it’s been a while since that place had any meaningful use.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘It can't possibly have been that long ago, surely?’ is closed to new replies.