Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • IT bods – I need some help
  • Pickers

Is there any way to retrieve data from the HDD in a laptop with a knackered screen?

Dancake
    Free Member

Might auto switch to the external VGA if you connect it to a monitor and turn it on ad operate it normally

Or you could use HDMI?

Failing that buy a cheap USB caddy and stick your hard drive in it and get the data off from another PC

disco_stu
    Free Member

Yeah take the hard drive out and pop it into a hard drive caddy, you should be able to connect this via usb to another computer and get the data off.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Long, long time ago…

… one of the Function keys would toggle between lappy screen and a plugged-in big one. However I can’t remember which, and have no idea if it’s still true.

Pickers

Thanks for quick response, we tried the VGA and HDMI routes hoping it might auto switch, it didn’t unfortunately.
    Are the USB caddies easy to get hold of?

Edit – Google and Amazon are indeed my friends, I’m guessing its a 2.5″ SATA drive

Many thanks everyone. Now likely that my son will not be allowed access to my daughters computer.

Dancake
    Free Member

Thanks for quick response, we tried the VGA and HDMI routes hoping it might auto switch, it didn’t unfortunately.

do you have a little projector or screen hotkey ? (mine is F4)
    I can plug my Telly in while the Laptop is on via HDMI and it comes to life if I tap this hotkey.

edit slowoldgit beat me to it

Are you sure screen is gone? Lappy might be making all the right noises, buut not actually working.

2.5″ caddies are readily available
    .Make sure you work out what kind of connection your HDD has

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Try connecting the screen before turning on the laptop as by default if it’s connected before power on it should output the monitor if you close the lid quickly after pressing the power button.

Is there a Maplins near you? they do a good range or relatively cheap caddies.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘IT bods – I need some help’ is closed to new replies.