Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Issue 107 Howgills ride-route advice please?
  • kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Liking the sound of the Howgills route in the latest magazine, potentially for an overnighter. Does anyone have an idea, or ideally a GPX of the route. From what I can garner from the article, it starts in Sedbergh, straight up The Calf, then down the bridleway in Bowderdale? But then where?!
    Anyone?

richardkennerley

If it’s the same route I did a couple of years ago, then it will involve a fair bit of road riding in order to make it a loop back to sedbergh. The bowderdale singletrack was rated as one of the greatest pieces of singletrack in mbr a while back, that’s why I did it. It’s long and has its moments, some spectacular views but at the time, I didn’t really enjoy it. Found it to be a bit of a drag to be honest, a lot of effort for not much reward in terms of enjoyable descending. You do get a big day out of it though and if just chugging along outdoors rather than big thrills suits then check it out.

garethc
    Free Member

Check out issue 50 in the MagArchive…

116. Route Guide: The Howgill Fells
    Benji guides Sim around those intriguing hills that you look at as you pass through the Lake District on your way to ride a Scottish trail centre.

stwhannah

Hi, we’d intended to make a loop by going up the steep road climb on the minor road kind of south of Ravenstonedale then on the bridleways that run almost parallel to the a road. But since we didn’t get there I can’t advise on whether that bit is any good!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Its a brilliant route but ideally best done in dry conditions, I prefer to start from Ravenstonedale as the climb from Sedbergh is a killer first thing.

sheeps

I did that bit stwhannah last year… It’s was wet (very wet) and substantial parts of the bridleway was like a river! Rideable river mind you!

There’s also a river crossing near Naithwaite without a bridge

charliew

Make sure it’s dry.

Definitely got a good atmosphere and feels like an adventure, but as a poster above said, most of the Singletrack isn’t descending. I did it as a two dayer and stopped at the Mosedale cottage – a bothy in the eastern lakes.

The trails to the bothy aren’t brilliant to be honest!

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’ll get my maps out tomorrow and check it out.

whitestone
    Free Member

Bowderdale’s great but it does need to be dry, it also requires some effort so might not be for everyone. Best way back (or out if you start at Ravenstonedale) is the road due south from R’dale but take the BW to the left before you get to the end of the road then keep to the west side of the main road – obvious when you look at the map.

shortyj15

I got a GPX if you want

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

GPX would be great! My email is in my profile if you wouldn’t mind sending it to me.
    Thanks
    Chris

carlos
    Free Member

shortyj15 – Member
    I got a GPX if you want

Any chance I can get a copy of this too, email in profile. Been discussing it for a while and would be good to see the GPX against the mags route.

Cheers.

martinhutch

In general I find it a bit of a disappointing ride. The Bowderdale descent is good, but hard going in places, but not as satisfying as the hype suggests. The return leg is patchy, a couple of nice short descents, plenty of road slog.

The Howgills scenery is great, though. Most enjoyable bit of the day for me was the view from the Calf.

Must admit I just drive past to get to the south Lakes every time now.

thepurist

As above, the bowderdale bit may be a single track but it’s not great singletrack riding. The slog up the calf from Sedbergh is quite a drag at the start. Got some great shots on the route back from Ravenstonedale though. It’s a longer day than the distance and climbing would suggest.

Trekster

Bowderdale

Done it a few times in both directions.

As mentioned above start at Ravenstonedale, Sedburgh for lunch and pub/garden for dinner 😀

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Perfect. Thanks. Plannimg on making it an overnighter if possible. Any thoughts where’d make a good camping spot?

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s some flattish ground around here http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=367787&Y=498562&A=Y&Z=120 but if it wasn’t too windy you could camp anywhere on the tops as the Howgills are quite grassy.

A little bit off-route there’s one of Andy Goldsworthy’s sheep folds – http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=367690&Y=497138&A=Y&Z=115 – first photo on this page http://www.valcorbettphotography.com/gallery/list/category/lune-valley/p12/P24

Both spots are sufficiently out of the way that you aren’t going to get disturbed.

grannyjone
    Free Member

I’ve done the Howgills and it was great. Must be done in the dry though. The climb from Sedbergh is a slog but it has got to be easier than any other high fell ride in the Lakes to get up. The only part I had to walk was the last 10 mins when it gets very steep and loose. I never had to shoulder/carry the bike at all unlike some of the other high fell climbs. The single track was good and challenging without being too extreme. The ride back round was full of interest, once the road slog was out of the way with. Included a lot of gates though which were a pain in the arse but with a group they weren’t too much of a bother. There was a good piece of downhill through a forest which ended with a river crossing.
    the road section was totally car free, always a bonus!
    scenery was great. Prefer the Howgills over any other high fell ride in the Lakes.

grannyjone
    Free Member

I’ll post a link to my strava recording when I get on a PC. I was very slow (12kph average) but thats bessides the point, you could get the GPX off it.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Great info, thanks all

grannyjone
    Free Member

Route for the classic Howgills tour here:

https://www.strava.com/activities/577175079

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Issue 107 Howgills ride-route advice please?’ is closed to new replies.