Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Issue 101 – bike light test
  • robdob
    Free Member

I bought issue 101 recently as I was on a rare train to work rather than driving . I hadn’t bought it for a long time but I thought I’d give it another try as it looked ok with a brief flick through. And they were testing lights which I am going to buy so I wanted to check it out.

Generally a good write up, but I would have thought when testing lights it would be good to tell the readers how well they lit up the trail ahead, surely one of the essential things to mention!!!!

How well the lights are made, how easy to switch on/off, charging, battery packs all covered, just not much info on how they work as a light source…

So I don’t have any idea how the MaxxD (what I might be buying) actually works in practice….. Didn’t have similar info for the Gloworm or Hope either….. oh dear

robdob
    Free Member

No one else read it then?

johnnystorm

Diablo:

provides a good, tightish beam of light that lets you see around corners

Maxx D:

the light modes-which are hugely tuneable- all delivered fantastic vision down the trail

etc

To be honest, anything from 20 quid upwards will provide enough light. The real differences are

How well the lights are made, how easy to switch on/off, charging, battery packs

😉

matthewmountain
    Free Member

How easy they are to change between bikes is an essential for me. Which again isn’t covered by reviews. Hence why I have gone for exposure!

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve got both the latest maxx d and Gloworm x2.

The Maxx d has a much much wider beam, and is much much brighter in throw.

The X2 is still a brilliant light, and you can tune the beam with the lenses.

But, if you’ve got the money, the Maxxd is the only bar light youll need.

muggomagic

I was expecting some trail shots so i could see if the extra 2500 lumens is worth the £400 difference between the maxx-d and the Betty.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

MTBR is your friend for this sort of thing

2015 Bike Lights Shootout

2015 Lights Shootout: Beam Patterns

jam-bo

I was expecting some trail shots so i could see if the extra 2500 lumens is worth the £400 difference between the maxx-d and the Betty.

Extra 2500?!!!!!!

CheesybeanZ

Looking at the Betty beam shots on mtbr , you might as well be in daylight its that powerful-I personally enjoy the night part of night riding with a non nuclear power light plus there’s absolutely nowhere for the weirwolfs too hide .

stuey
    Free Member

It must be near impossible to easily test the quality of the internal components – The ’54gpb over under one’ looks great – but I want to doubt the longevity of the batteries (?)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Issue 101 – bike light test’ is closed to new replies.