Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Isopropyl alcohol or equivalent?
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m going to be fitting new rotors at the weekend and want to make sure they’re clean before I do. Any idea what i can easily get to clean them. Does Isoproyl alcohol come under any brands that I could find the average towns shops? And is there an alternative?

Thanks in advance.

njee20
    Free Member

Chemist will likely do some.

Jamie
    Free Member

Maplins will probably sell it, but it will be about a million quid.

andydawks
    Free Member

I just use standard brake cleaner – available from any motorfactors, halfords etc

martinhutch

Many chemists will sell it. Hardware shop should have it too, craft shop maybe if not.

brassneck

Meths, but apparently it’s full of contaminants and my brakes don’t work because I use it. Wouldn’t bother on new rotors though myself.

sandwicheater

Washing up liquid and boiling water. It will be fine.

Ebay if your in no hurry for Isopropyl alcohol

arachnidlover
    Free Member

Contrary to what most people are saying your average high street chemist will not sell you isopropyl alcohol (due to it being pure alcohol and them being terrified your going to drink it), I know, I tried to get some last weekend. 🙁
    I eventually managed to get some from a local hi-fi supplier / repairer. They apparently use it for cleaning the heads on old tape decks as well as the stylus on turntables since it evaporates with no residue.

I used it on the brake pistons, I just use a “standard” brake cleaner to do the rotors. 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice. I used to have loads when I had tape recorders. Threw a bunch away ten years ago. 😥

Northwind

I’ve bought it from assorted chemists no bother, I just tell them what it’s for and they give you a funny look but sell it anyway. Never had any refuse. But I normally buy it from ebay because I’m so incredibly lazy.

People often say of brake cleaner that “it contains oil to stop car brakes rusting”, I’ve never found a single commercial brake cleaner that does though.

the-muffin-man

If you ask nicely (and offer some readies!) your local printers may be able to help as it’s used on a lot of printing presses.

arachnidlover
    Free Member

Maybe it’s just Scottish chemists that are wary of selling it. I did explain what I was needing it for but it made no difference. 🙁

Simon

I got 5l from Ebay a few years ago, it lasts for ages.

Jamie
    Free Member

I got 5l from Ebay a few years ago, it lasts for ages.

OP needs it tomorrow, tho.

stumpy01

I tried to get some from a few chemists and had no joy. A few of them didn’t even know what it was!!

Ended up getting the spray can from Maplin. It’s very convenient and lasts ages, so even though it works out expensive, it’s probably worth it.

brassneck

Ended up getting the spray can from Maplin. It’s very convenient and lasts ages, so even though it works out expensive, it’s probably worth it.

How does it compare cost wise to the likes of Muc Off cleaner?

Ewan
    Free Member

Maplin do a spray can – mines lasted me several years so far.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Chemists in some areas will not stock it, due to it be used in the preparation of a certain class A drug and also being sniffed.

You can usually get pre-injection wipes at any chemist, but these are only 70%, still good for on the trail use and cleaning oily hands.

stumpy01

brassneck – Member

How does it compare cost wise to the likes of Muc Off cleaner?

God knows. Dunno how much Muc Off cost to be honest. I suspect that per ml it is more expensive when bought in spray can from Maplin, but probably a lot cheaper than Muc Off when bought in bulk off the eBay.

As per Ewan’s post above, my can is a few years old now and there’s still plenty left.

tomd
    Free Member

Warm soapy water and scrubbing brush, followed by a rinse? It works very well and doesn’t involve trying to convince a chemist you’re not some sort of jakie.

aracer
    Free Member

I used to buy it at the chemist and never had any bother with them being worried that I was going to drink it (anybody who does is either thick or thinks you’re thick, as it’s not the same as alcohol you drink – totally different chemically), simply that they didn’t seem to actually keep it in stock, so I had to order in.

Like others, nowadays I buy mine on ebay.

So buy it on ebay from somebody promising dispatch today and first class post.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I use washing up liquid and water to clean my rotors, will I die?

the-muffin-man

Isn’t smearing your disc rotors with gritty mud the best way to prep them anyway?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Maplins. I got the spray can. Yes it’s not cheap I’m sure, but £10 for something that lasts years in my case and does the job, and at the time I needed that day so could just walk into the shop and buy it, it’s not too bad.

molgrips
    Free Member

Maplin contact cleaner is isopropyl alcohol. Can doesn’t last long though when you douse your brakes in it.

Meths works very well for cleaning brakes btw.

Mucoff brake cleaner and several types of car brake cleaner are awful, it seems. No idea why, but they must leave some kind of residue that are intended to be burned off by car brake temperatues but bike brakes not hot enough.

wheelie

We have in 25 litre containers. If you are near Southampton i’ll dispense you a bit.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

If you ask nicely (and offer some readies!) your local printers may be able to help as it’s used on a lot of printing presses.

It is. I can look over my shoulder and see a 10,000 litre tank of it.

I never use it to clean rotors, though. Clean hands and Fairy liquid do the trick.

crapjumper
    Free Member

Your nearest cpc farnell does a litre for £8.70ish . That’s where I get mine . Look for the stuff with the blue label

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Isopropyl alcohol or equivalent?’ is closed to new replies.