Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Isn't it Friday today? I'm combining the two
  • Pook

bonita norris, youngest british woman to climb everest

kylie

oldgit
    Free Member

I don't mean to be an old fuddy duddy and I don't know the full story but wasn't Miss Norris a guided customer. Without dissing her achievement was it technically a climb.

Pook

she's done better than i could do and that's good enough for me.

4130soul
    Free Member

i was tempted to post a friday pic of bonita up she is fit!

i like the pic of kylie, funny how the two guys directly underneath her chuff arent eyes forward like the rest of them, i reckon she just fluffed (cos women dont f*rt) 😛

oldgit
    Free Member

No I'm not happy about this. Alison Hargreaves 'Climbed' it.

coffeeking
    Free Member

but wasn't Miss Norris a guided customer

Just how many people do you think climb everest with no-one on their team who has previous experience on the mountain? I'd consider it very impressive but possibly a little silly unless you're a veteren climber, and if you were you wouldn't be climbing everest as it's not supposed to be that difficult in the grand scheme of mountain climbs apparently.

I'm more amused by how the guys in that pic are all wearing lovely little crop tops 😀

tron
    Free Member

I don't mean to be an old fuddy duddy and I don't know the full story but wasn't Miss Norris a guided customer. Without dissing her achievement was it technically a climb.

Agreed. It seems to me that people are sitting down with the Guinness book of records and actively looking for stuff that hasn't been done, and wouldn't be that hard to do. Retirees go up everest these days. Obvious by the number of hugely specific records about – youngest british woman to climb everest. So we can assume that at least a few younger people have done it before. If she looked like the back end of a bus, we'd never have heard of her.

I'm not saying going up Everest is a walk in the park, but it hardly puts you up there with someone who does the north face of the Eiger in my book.

oldgit
    Free Member

Or with a woman whos done it alone and without oxygen.

glenp
    Free Member

You get guided. Not given a piggy-back.

Every climber has a team.

mogrim

Let's not forget the perennial favourite, newscasters and weathergirls.

I give you Sara Carbonero, Spanish TV sports presenter and Real Madrid's goalie's gf:

Edit: second photo didn't work, try again:

Link: http://img.poprosa.com/2009/04/sara-carbonero-2.jpg

mogrim

B****x still didn't work.

Another:

ahwiles
    Free Member

Ellen Whitaker, Horse botherer:

Cougar

Photoshop out the horse, and you've got a prime submission there for Viz's "up the @rse" corner.

karnali
    Free Member

climbing everest debates always tickle me. Some folk make it out ot be a walk in the park and anyone can do it. MAybe it is for some, however i found just walking up hill at 5400m, after plenty of acclimatisation, very very hard. I imagine hauling yourself up everest is a little more difficult. Yes there is a difference between being the lead climber in a group getting up andbeing guided up but tbh fair play to anyone who climbs it.

Cougar

"Some folk make it out ot be a walk in the park and anyone can do it" – the answer there is "off you go then." If it's so easy, what's stopping you?

I do despair at armchair experts. It's not the same I know, but I work in IT and I get this a lot; you sweat blood to pull off a spectacular piece of work and the response you get back from the muggles is "what took so long, I could have done that in half the time."

(and then shortly after that, they wonder why their Internet connection is suddenly really slow, ahem)

oldgit
    Free Member

Yeah fair play to her. My old geography teacher did it a few years back and was lucky enough to be climbing when the Gods decided to make things as easy as possible. Though on his way out he helped at one of the tempory hospitals that set up for the season and it was full of very young, fit and experienced climbers who the Gods had not been so kind to.

The way the press treated Alison after her death was dreadful. She was a young woman and she climbed it un aided by sherpas or guides and without oxygen. Yet the press vilified her.

Shakey
    Free Member

My personal favourite at the moment – Carolina Kluft: –

Anybody mention Gollum and I'll storm off in a huff!!

and close to home: –

Both athletic and aesthetic!

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

The way the press treated Alison [Hargreaves] after her death was dreadful. She was a young woman and she climbed it un aided by sherpas or guides and without oxygen. Yet the press vilified her

Even taking into account all the weirdness surrounding her partner and their children, there did seem to be an inexplicable level of hostility aimed at Alison Hargreaves, but then that's hardly rare – amongst successful climbers, even in the climbing media.

However, I fail to see what that has to do with Bonita Harris climbing Everest. She got to the top under her own steam, I'd assume with lots of advice and support from the team she was climbing with. Given climbing to the top of big hills is ultimately a pointless activity in the grand scheme of things, I can't see why people get quite so heated up about exactly how someone propels themselves to the top of Everest anymore than I'd worry about whether someone took the funicular up Cairngorm or not.

grahamh
    Free Member

The way the press treated Alison after her death was dreadful. She was a young woman and she climbed it un aided by sherpas or guides and without oxygen. Yet the press vilified her.

Because she was the mother of two young children, so in the eyes of
    the press she should have been had home looking after them.
    And the little know fact that she soloed the north face of the eiger
    while six months pregnant.

zaskar
    Free Member

Dam Sara Carbonero looks my Mum when she was in her 20's.

Can't look at her in that way!

😥

Pook

let's see some pics of your mum then.

tracknicko
    Free Member

your mum looked like that? damn! have you got a sister?

oldgit
    Free Member

Fair dos, but I see a difference between Alison Hargreaves climbing Everest and Bonnita Norris 'summiting' Everest.
    Then there's the age thing. Yes Norris is younger than the late Hargreaves was, but that pales into insignificance compared to little Ming Kipa who was only 15.
    So shes not the first or youngest women to climb Everest, but shes pretty.

zaskar
    Free Member

I'm not posting pics of my Mum!

See it's so wrong. Clears mind and post Emily Batty

Kendal
    Free Member

[And the little know fact that she soloed the north face of the eiger
    while six months pregnant.]

She roped the North Face of the Eiger as part of a pair when she was six months pregnant and soloed an existing route with a variation finish on the NE face of the Eiger when she soloed the six North Faces in a season. Still an exceptional climber and rated by some of the leading lights from the last 20 years, (Mark Twight for example.)

ruminant
    Free Member

I'm sure there was more saddle when she left

Carefull NSFW content

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

I see a difference between Alison Hargreaves climbing Everest and Bonnita Norris 'summiting' Everest.

I do climb a bit myself, so I'm familiar with the 'games climbers play' notion of good and bad style etc, but these are, in the final analysis, artificial criteria imposed on the business of getting one's arse moving in a vertical direction, whether it's plodding up Ben Nevis, surviving K2, new routing somewhere in China or jumaring up Everest.

Ultimately, it's about setting yourself a challenge, and abiding by whatever strictures you feel that challenge brings with it. She didn't claim to be trying a new route up Everest in alpine style or whatever, and she's done what she set out to do – fair play to her I say, especially as it's not a challenge I would be up to.

Some of my mates are off plodding along the West Highland Way for charity this week. They've all trained hard to get fitter and have a realistic chance of completing in 4 days. When they roll into Fort William on Saturday, I'm going to congratulate them, not dismiss their achievement because someone else can run the thing in about 15 hours.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Isn't it Friday today? I'm combining the two’ is closed to new replies.