Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Isle of Wight, what bike?
  • oldnpastit

I’ve got a week’s family holiday on the Isle of Wight. The plan is to spend most of it pottering about doing as little as possible and occasionally chasing after the dog with the children.

But, if I were to bring a bike, would I be better off with a road bike or MTB? Or doesn’t it matter?

Thanks!

IHN

Either. Lovely roady riding and lovely rufty-tufty riding available.

We’re going in May, we’ll probably take both.

timwillows
    Free Member

To state the obvious it would depend on whether you wish to use it on or off road.

There is plenty of off road on the island including a lot of big track good view stuff that is easy to follow

ciderinsport
    Free Member

MTB – the roads are just a mass of pot holes!

Loads of lovely trails too 🙂

carlosg
    Free Member

Pointless taking 2 bikes IMO , just take the mtb and use it for on and off road. We went to the isle of wight years ago before kids arrived and had a blast pootling about. It’s a lovely place.

scaredypants

1950s Pashley ? 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Don’t bother, nothing to see here it’s crap. 😉

frosty87
    Free Member

MTB for sure. As said above the roads can be very rough in places but I also think you would get bored quicker just on the roads.

Head to bridleways around the Tennyson trail in the Brightstone to Freshwater area. Also Bridelways off the Arreton Downs and in the Godshill, Ventor, Shanklin area.

oldnpastit

MTB = good suggestion!

Any suggestions for somewhere that does good cream teas?

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Post Office in Niton does great cream teas with a lovely garden out the back.

But you’ll probably find plenty of others too.

morebikes

Chessel Pottery does a good cream tea, and is just off the main Carisbrooke to Freshwater Tennyson Trail classic route.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Isle of Wight, what bike?’ is closed to new replies.