Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Isle of wight
  • GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Anyone been to the isle of wight and if so what should me and the Mrs see and do.
    NON-bike related as she is not interested in bikes 😯

wwaswas

I can think of dozens of things but they all seem to involve having children in tow.

The Garlic Farm shop is jolly nice.

Think there’s an historic power boat museum there too if she likes boats.

Good walking too, all very well signposted.

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Leaving the kids with the grandparents 😀

StefMcDef
    Free Member

St Catherine’s Point Lighthouse and the Buddle Inn, on the southern tip of the island, is a great walk/pub/attraction combo.

Likewise, parking in Yarmouth, walking along the Yar estuary to Freshwater and having lunch at the Red Lion, and walking back to Yarmouth.

The falconry thing at Appledurcombe House in Wroxall is pretty good, if you like that sort of thing.

The walk from Tennyson Down up to the The Needles Old Battery and back from Freshwater Bay is pretty interesting, great views and interesting history around the old abandoned rocket site.

Steephill Cove and Ventnor Botanic Gardens are all very picturesque and an easy walk if you park in Ventnor. The Spyglass Inn is a good pub round there, full of nautical bric a brac and with a great location at one end of Ventnor beach.

IsleofWightseakayaking.co.uk are good if you fancy trying kayaking – great location on Freshwater Bay.

Shanklin Chine, a raving with its own subtropical microclimate, is pretty cool, as is Shanklin in an old-fashioned bucket-and-spade seaside resort sort of way.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Plenty of good walking if you just want to chill out ad enjoy the views. Plenty of pubs right on the coast. Osborne House or Carisbrook Castle for the history.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

Sandown: Dinosaur Isle
    Zoo
    Sandown Pier
    Arcades
    Golf courses and pitch and puts

Shanklin: Crazy golf
    A lift that takes you up the side of a cliff!
    Shanklin Chine
    Shanklin old village

Ventnor: Lovley sea front cafes and pubs
    Fishery
    Hills
    Botanic Gardens

Godshill: Attraction in itself – very old style village with various attractions and a cider barn 🙂

Ryde: Ice skating
    Bowling
    Pubs
    Appley beach and park

Newport: Shops
    Cinema

West Wight: The Neddles
    Alum Bay

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Does the Totland Pier cafe still do HUUUUUUGE plates of fish and chips? If so then that’s a good reason to walk there from the Yarmouth ferry.

VanHalen

to be honest there is naffall to do other than walking about and buying crud from tat shops. unless you have kids who like playing on the beach. then you can play on the beach, walk about and buy tat.

even the riding isnt great.

1/2 my family moved there. lord only knows why. well, actually i know why – to get away from modern life.

its like devon but worse.

actually you might be able to get some sailing in.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

grown up here, will live here when i’m an adult after the navy,

riding away makes you appreciate what we have

bikebouy
    Free Member

The IOW is luvery, dunno what you mean.

Cowes Marina, though only really any fun if you’re a sailor and then it’s sort of a weekend passtime, but great to visit the town and Marinas.

Whats that building called QE had, ohhh yeah Osborne House, not a bad day out..

But I’d get yer walking gear on and get yerself a picnic and go play in Newtown Creek. It’s jolly luverly that.

As said the walk over Tennison is spectacular.

Ventnors a bit old and odd but worth an Ice Cream, Sandowns better. Then pop on over to Bembridge, another luverly place it is.

Rydes a bit small, but ok for the architecture.

But mostly it’s all about the quaintness and genteelness spirit of the place..

Avoid the Needles, it’s full of tourists cramming into the glass shops..

Roblilly
    Free Member

I quite like the Lakeside hotel (Wootton), some nice walks over the back from there.
    The Little Gloster at Gurnard.
    Shopping for your wife, Ryde is pretty good.
    Ventnor seafront is ok for a wander. as is Cowes and Freshwater

bigyinn
    Free Member

Avoid the Needles, it’s full of tourists cramming into the glass shops..

thats Alum Bay which is nothing to do with anything, its all tat.
    Take the open top bus to the needles battery and walk from there back to Freshwater Bay. Wonderful walk and fantasic views.
    Or you could pop round mine and help me change the clutch on the car… 😉

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Crazy Golf.

Lots of crazy golf.

clipper68
    Free Member

I live here too and there is loads to do. All of the above posts are correct. The Wight Mouse over near Chale is really nice too. Don’t forget Eegons in Cowes for a perfect breakfast.
    BigYinn, do you actually need help as I am at a loose end…..

bigyinn
    Free Member

Oh yes I need help…. (actually did the clutch a couple of weeks ago).
    Wight Mouse is good although the portion sizes on friday left somehting to be desired!
    Think we need to have an IOW forum members ride! Anyone up for that?

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I’m sure I could get back over for the day. Someone care to set a date?

I’ve ridden the West Wight quite a bit but how about heading for the East with a mid ride pint at the Culver Haven before (cheekily) whizzing down the cliff path to Yaverland?

clipper68
    Free Member

I’m up for an IOW ride. How many have we got on the island anyway.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Haven’t been for many years, but agree with clipper68, the white mouse was very good. Just enjoy long walks, nice food/drink and being a couple untethered by children. Sleep until late, nice breakfast and then back to bed!!!

Roblilly
    Free Member

I’m on the island !

garage-dweller

All above good suggestions. Great place to potter about and take it slow.

Lots of nice coastal and hill walks. Fair few decent pubs.

Plenty of tat too but you can always move on somewhere else.

Looking forward to an iow day out over the summer with the bike.

I’m now in Dorset but lived on the IOW for 10 years and still go back for rides. Top place but the employment situation has never been good.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

I’m an islander! and yes the job climate is a bit poo

flap_jack
    Free Member

OP – depends when you’re going. If it’s in May then there’s the walking festival, including the mammoth ‘Walk the Wight’ which is fantastic if the weather’s nice.

I’m over this weekend, visiting mother. It’s her 90th , so don’t go to the Chequers as it will be full of my family !

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Isle of wight’ is closed to new replies.