Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Isle of Man
  • adjustablewench
    Free Member

I am thinking of taking two of my children biking around IOM, looking to do a ‘lap’ of the island – around 100 miles ish. Does anyone know anything about rights of way, trails and routes on the island? and also how the law stands over there with wild camping.

The two boys are 6 and 8 so there is a limit to how technical and steep they can manage, saying that there ride home from school involves 100m climb!

mollyiom
    Free Member

Wild camping is a bit limited over here,(Isle of Man obviously) if you want Garmin .GPX
    routes to follow i could prob sort them out for you pointing out camp sites on route.

Some or the coastal route is a bit hairy in places and wouldn’t suggest you take your lads on them but the road alternative is never far away to avoid.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Cool, i had seen some pictures of the costal walking path that definitely looked hairy. just wondered of there were other options for riding. i am presuming the roads aren’t too busy – will be aiming to come over in April.

i have recently been given a garmin etrex (i think!), so some points would be good to play with.

mollyiom
    Free Member

I think there is a free 1:25000 leisure map to download on the garmin site.

Roads are quiet and pretty safe.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

“Roads are quiet…”

But not during TT fortnight!

Steelfreak
    Free Member

(April should be fine, though…)

mollyiom
    Free Member

even during TT the roads aint that busy on th west and north coast. April is tumbleweed
    🙂

boltonjon

I grew up over there and the coastal paths are pretty hairy at times – i rode around the South of the Island over Xmas and scared myself silly

The coastal path is called ‘The Way of the Gull’

I’m not sure if your allowed to ride the coastal path legally, but no one has ever given me a hard time when i’ve met them

I rode the coastal path about 17 years ago and it took us about 18 hours. There is one bit where the coastal path goes across a beach, so you need to get your timings right or they’ll be no path

The roads are relatively quiet, but why go on tarmac when you’ve got some of the best biking trails in the country there??

Enjoy!! 😆

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Isle of Man’ is closed to new replies.