• This topic has 93 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ry33.
Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Isla Beinn 20 or Frog 55
  • ry33
    Free Member

BigEaredBiker – when the Obrea MX 20 Team arrives please let me know your initial thoughts compared the the frog 55.

He does ride paths but not tarmac, old railway line paths (no tracks now) these are walking/cycle paths with stones, bumps, mud, etc along by the river and up private bumpy farm roads. Round the local reservoirs cycle paths

The forg 48 as done him fine for all this

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

@ry33 will do.

The 55 should be fine for all that, my daughter has done some tow paths etc. We discovered the frame was too long for a local pump track and kept grounding on the bumps though.

ry33
    Free Member

BigEaredBiker – Great thanks will be really interested to know how the Obrea MX 20 Team compares next to the Frog 55. I really do like the look of the Obrea. Just trouble seeing one locally before xmas, but will make sure I check out the 24 before its time to upgrade to this stage.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Bought the Hoy for my daughter about a month ago, £290 from Evans Ebay page. She’s about the same size as your boy and is a good fit with the seat slammed – plenty of growing room. It’s a really nice bike, tyres seem good offroad and she got the hang of gear changing quickly.

ry33
    Free Member

RichPenny – I am still going to go look at the Hoy at Evens also this weekend, its just soley the white grips and seat, looks nice but would need to change those grips.

I also seen this question was raised on Evans about replacement white grip but they don’t stock them, should maybe have some early 2018 not not confirmed. So for now you have to go for a 3rd party brand

ry33
    Free Member

What’s the measurement on the top tube of the Bienn 20 Large? Goole search brings back 465mm top tub, which is longer than the below

Frog 55
    Length of top tube 449mm (horizontal distance from seat post to stem: 474mm)

Hoy 20
    Length of top tube 445mm

ry33
    Free Member

Cant edit the above

So if Isla is 465mm that compare to the Frogs horizontal distance from seat post to stem 474mm

So what I want to know is what is the Hoy’s horizontal distance from seat post to stem?

joemmo
    Free Member

its got a 60mm stem so by the time you add the spacer stack and headangle into the equation probably about +40mm to the ETT? If you’re going at the weekend, may as well take a tape measure with you.

ry33
    Free Member

Starting to think I might be jumping ahead just because it’s xmas, he’s 6 in Sep, 115cm height & 50cm inside leg (remeasured) looking at frog sizing he’s going to be another few months till it’s suitable, Islabike more suitable now but still too bike, I think I may be better testing more bikes in more time and look to get to get one in 2-3 months into the new year

ry33
    Free Member

Starting to think I might be jumping ahead just because it’s xmas, he’s 6 in Sep, 115cm height & 50cm inside leg (remeasured) looking at frog sizing he’s going to be another few months till it’s suitable, Islabike more suitable now but still too bike, I think I may be better testing more bikes in more time and look to get to get one in 2-3 months into the new year

ry33
    Free Member

Had a look at some bikes and gears today.

Going to go with the Isla.

Frog was a little too big for him and although he could reach the thumb shifters they were harder than a grip shifter for him

Popped in Halfords to see grip shifters and he moved these with ease.

tod456
    Free Member

What did you try at halfords?

ry33
    Free Member

To be honest can’t remember just they had a selection of bikes with grip shifters

ry33
    Free Member

Isla arrived today and it looks a cracking bike, gears look great too.

Went for the tyre upgrade as recommended to the Contentials and great choice.

Sure he’ll love it come xmas

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Isla Beinn 20 or Frog 55’ is closed to new replies.