Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Is your water bill based on council tax banding?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Just had our house reassessed and got the banding changed – am i right in thinking that the water bill is based on council tax band?

project
    Free Member

It based on the rateing put out by the local HMRC rateing office, so if you live in a flat like me, you pay 12 pound per week, and the council tenmnant living opposite in a 3 b3ed house pays about 200 pound per year.

simon_g

I used to rent a flat where the landlord refused to get a water meter installed – it was quite a nice place but it cost a fortune for water bills. We paid nearly 3 times as much for that 2-bed place as we used to on a metered 4-bed one with twice as many people living in it.

Not sure it’s directly based on council tax band, but both are linked to the value of the property.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Mine isn’t, because I have a meter. It was installed as soon as I could have it. My water bills went from £42 a month to about £15. Personally, I think they should be compulsory as they do encourage you to be less wasteful with water. Simon G, I had that with my last place and it really annoyed me. The landlord is free to go back to rated water whenever they like, it doesn’t cost them anything and all it requires is their signature on a form. Guess thats too much hassle for some people. I call those people selfish bastards 🙂

Del

try 1200 quid per annum on a band d property, err, 7 years ago know ( SWW ).
    yes it’s based on your properties rateable value.

The landlord is free to go back to rated water whenever they like, it doesn’t cost them anything and all it requires is their signature on a form.

err, dunno about that. used to be the case that you could have a meter fitted for free, but after a year or so there was no going back. maybe things have changed but i believe they want everyone metered in the end.

RichPenny
    Free Member

The year rule applies to the tenant, but once they leave the property the landlord is free to revert back to rated.

ransos
    Free Member

We halved our water bill by switching to a meter. Rateable value is low as we’re only council tax band B.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

My cousin swapped to a meter to save money.

Her first months bill was £800 as there was a leak underground in the pipe on her side of the meter that no-one knew about….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Is your water bill based on council tax banding?’ is closed to new replies.