Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Is your TV listening to you?
  • Sui
    Free Member

what do people expect, they want voice activation that searches the net – computers aren’t that clever yet that they can distinguish between what you do want them to hear and what you don’t..

DezB
    Free Member

Such TV sets ‘listen’ to every conversation held in front of them and may share any details they hear with Samsung or third parties, it said.

How the hell would they filter out all the millions of hours of crap to actually find any ‘useful’ conversation??

ourmaninthenorth

I found this out recently. 12 months after buying a Samsung TV.

At least with the camera, one can fold it away. No way to similarly switch off the microphone (which is attached to some terrible voice recognition software).

rene59
    Free Member

I don’t know, but I hope it isn’t watching me! 😯

jon1973
    Free Member

I don’t know, but I hope it isn’t watching me!

I think most new smart TV’s have webcams don’t they? so it probably is.

Solo
    Free Member

Is your TV listening to you?
    It doesn’t have to, if it can lip read….

Cougar

what do people expect, they want voice activation that searches the net

They want voice activation that controls their TV.

(Or rather they don’t, they’re being told they want it)

– computers aren’t that clever yet that they can distinguish between what you do want them to hear and what you don’t..

Have you used any technology in the last ten years?

zilog6128

Of course, this also applies to iPhones (if you’ve set the Siri function to permanently listen) and no doubt other smartphones with voice activation too…

How the hell would they filter out all the millions of hours of crap to actually find any ‘useful’ conversation??

[img]http://cdn.meme.am/instances/55587555.jpg[/img]

maccruiskeen

Not a problem if you still use an old-school 4×3 CRT TV

oh hang on

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I worked at a company developing “algorithms” to do exactly this. It’s scary how good they are, even picking up and understanding newly developed slang terms, for instance, new words for different drugs based on context and the identity of the person saying the words.

In fact, someone could well be running algorithms on this site
    http://www.autonomy.com/offerings/information-analytics/voice-of-the-customer

fasthaggis

slowoldman

I don’t wish to interact with any technology by voice commands. I like pressing buttons and stuff.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Spooky indeed

cookeaa

TBF the odds are that there is a passive microphone/camera in some device, somewhere in your vicinity much of the time, just waiting to be left on or hacked by some nefarious individual/organisation for their diabolical purposes…

Got a smart phone?
    That thing’s going to be way more use to anyone trying to gather intelligence on you: camera, microphone, access to SMS, emails, and internet usage information, plus GPS to track your movements?

I’d be far more worried about that little bit of personal technology that the big rectangle in the lounge which half the population sit drooling in front of corrie…

Tinfoil hat anyone?

saxabar
    Free Member

And, to add to the spookiness, NSA/GCHQ are well aware of domestic corporate surveillance. The Snowden leaks highlight an interest in Xbox Kinect sensors that are also always-on so be to able to respond to voice commands. If you’ve done anything wrong… 😕

It is also instructive to examine speech analytics start-ups, their patents, who they are funded by and the past careers employees have had. I’ve been doing this for an academic book I’m writing and more than one is linked to the state (separately, the US and Israel).

DezB
    Free Member

Do you think the people on Gogglebox know that their every word could be monitored?

slowoldman

No, they’re far too stupid.

Milkie
    Free Member

Next you’ll be telling us that people hack the TV webcams and watch us. 😯

I wouldn’t worry about the microphone in my TV, it barely worked when I tried it. 😆

CountZero

The last thing I need is a smart TV. If my current several years old Bravia dies, it’ll be replaced with the best quality ****-off great big dumb panel, which will have my Sky box and my Mac Mini plugged in, giving me all the internet connectivity I need.
    Bugger having a sodding camera and voice control on my telly!
    I’ve had Siri on my phones for over two years, never used it; not going to start with a bloody television!
    What is the world coming to? Mutter, mumble…

slowoldman

I’m with you. I use my phone to talk to people – not the sodding phone.

eatsdirt
    Free Member

I’d be more worried about the “Skype” camera capturing and broadcasting you enjoying yourself on the rug during the 10 minute free grot window on Sky…

Cougar

It gets better.

https://gigaom.com/2015/02/10/samsung-tvs-start-inserting-ads-into-your-movies/

A number of owners of Samsung’s smart TVs are reporting this week that their TV sets started to interrupt their movie viewing with Pepsi ads, which seem to be dynamically inserted into third-party content.

“Every movie I play 20-30 minutes in it plays the pepsi ad, no audio but crisp clear ad. It has happened on 6 movies today,” a user reported on Reddit, where a number of others were struggling with the same problem.

maccruiskeen

STW leads where others follow 😆

toppers3933
    Free Member

It would be the only thing in my house that does! 😀

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

There watching too:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=985_1385075763

http://doctorbeet.blogspot.ru/2013/11/lg-smart-tvs-logging-usb-filenames-and.html

It’s a brave new world and only a matter of time before it becomes more covert and subversive, it’s state security services wet dream, as if they are going to knock back the opportunity to have on-demand spying of everyone, thats the plan! and technology for the most part is there, all the big names are on-board and cooperate in secret, it’s only going to get worse.

Your not doing anything wrong you’ve got nothing to worry about right!

Get your tin foil hat on!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Is your TV listening to you?’ is closed to new replies.