Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is XT worth the extra over SLX?
  • dirkpitt74

Looking to upgrade from 1*10 SLX to 1*11.
    Looking around I can get XT for not much more than SLX (relatively speaking…) – is it worth the extra?

Any major advantage of XT?

vincienup
    Free Member

It’s a bit lighter, tends to shift a bit better and the jockeys have bearings not bushes. SLX often has a more durable finish.

Looking at CRC it seems it’s more a question of ‘why buy SLX when XT is so nearly the same price’? It isn’t really of course, and at RRP it’s a much deeper question. At CRC price it’s more ‘which will look better on my bike?’ 😉

nedrapier

‘which will look better on my bike?’

Too true!

New SLX looks lovely. If I was buyig new, I’d get all SLX, but maybe an XT shifter.

sync
    Free Member

With CRC at the moment, prices aside it’s more a case of will it turn up.

XT always falls closer in value once into the component lifecycle. At refresh pricing is usually a bit further apart or XT has new tech SLX doesn’t.

At RRP there is of course a much bigger differential.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Recent experience with XT rear mech (10sp+) suggests they are as soft as 9sp XTR. Mrs Wachowchow bent new XT rear mech recently at the point where it bolts to the hanger.

I have never had an SLX rear mech bend as easily.

This may down to luck / coincidence etc but it has made me inspect our XT rear mechs more regularly.

I use 10sp Saint shifters

P-Jay
    Free Member

One thing to consider OP, if you’re just after more range – the new M6000 10sp Cassette comes in 11/42, so you could have the range of most of the 11sp (I know they also make a 11/46).

It’s cheaper and lighter than the 11sp 11/46 cassette, there’s just one less click in the middle.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I go for a posher shifter (currently Saint) and a cheaper mech (currently SLX), since the latter can get clattered easily.

dirkpitt74

Is the shifter that much better?

dhrider
    Free Member

I opted for 1×11 XT when I was changing over as the prices were similar.

jamesmio
    Free Member

1 x 11 XT shifters are lovely, got them on me Bird Aeris and it’s a really noticeable upgrade from the SLX ones on my old bike. 3up/2down shifting is nice.

Haven’t had the luxury of ever trying XTR, but plenty of folks really rate Saint for 1 x 10, which is what I’ll be sticking on the Soul when I get a spare few quid.

dirkpitt74

P-Jay – Member
    One thing to consider OP, if you’re just after more range – the new M6000 10sp Cassette comes in 11/42, so you could have the range of most of the 11sp (I know they also make a 11/46).

It’s cheaper and lighter than the 11sp 11/46 cassette, there’s just one less click in the middle.

Currently got 11-42t sunrace on the 10sp. Been looking at the new Shimano cassette – good value on bike-discount but seem to be out of stock.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Currently got 11-42t sunrace on the 10sp. Been looking at the new Shimano cassette – good value on bike-discount but seem to be out of stock.

It’s brand spanking so may not be available yet.

andy4d

Can’t comment on the new slx. I have the xt m8000 and happy with it. On my other bike i have a mix of the older 10sp xt/slx. In this case with xt/slx being similar priced I would go xt and replace cassette etc as they wear with slx. My feeling it get the better shifters/brakes and cheaper wearable parts such as cassette/chainrings.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is XT worth the extra over SLX?’ is closed to new replies.