Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Is Whinlatter as slippy as some people say ??
  • Andy-W
    Free Member

Everytime i read about Whinlatter I also read about it being a bit slippy..

Just planning a day out and dont want to drive about two and a half hours only to slide around all day

Is it worth the long drive or should I point my van towards Wales ?

Cheers

Andy

el_boufador

Bollocks is it slippy. No worse than anything else when wet. We rode there as a wet weather option on a recent lakes riding weekend. it was GREAT fun. I was really rather surprised how good it was.

I enjoyed it partly because of the conditions though – riding on the fells would have been grim.

If the weather is good there are many more rewarding natural rides in the area IMO.

Andy-W
    Free Member

Just trying to decide whether to drive 3hrs to coed y brenin(been b4 and like it) or 2 and a half hours to whinlatter (never been)

or any place in between them two ……

cp

There's a lot more at coed, not sure whinlatter is worth that much of a journey on it's own, but as part of a weekend it's great!

scaredypants

whinlatter (only done the Norht loop) was fairly slippy in the wet when I went

Didn't stop me enjoying it

Plenty of other riding nearby if you run out of trail centre

Gooner
    Free Member

north loop is slippy in the wet particularly the rooty sections but as said no more than other places
    south loop is more rocky and not slippy unless its icy!

well worth doing especially if you have nt done it before but i suspect that in future you will choose coed

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I've only ridden the blue and south loops it on the twitchy rental bikes with Schwalbe smart-sam tyres. Slippy? Relatively yes. But it's loads of fun cornering and nothing to get upset about. On my own bike with big rubber it would be better.

stumpy01

I went there after a fair amount of rain and found it quite slippy. Another bloke who was riding there also commented that he found it quite slippy. No bad thing though – you just need to ride to the conditions.

I am not sure how much of the slipperiness was down to the fact that my tyres were pumped up HARD for a week at Center Parcs and I forgot to let some air out.

Andy-W
    Free Member

If i can get my arse out of bed early its looking like coed y brenin could be possible as a long day out (6hrs round trip)

its just that last time I got eat alive by Mr midge and his mates 🙁

Whats the "begining of the end" like at the end of the MBR like that section was closed when i was there for my first and only time in early june

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"begining of the end"

I think it's faster and more flowy at the start – I really missed a corner when I got fixated on a large trailside boulder. The lower parts seem much the same to me.

It's good enough to make-up a session-loop with "Badger" IMO.

glenh
    Free Member

Bollocks is it slippy. No worse than anything else when wet

It's a hell of a lot more slippy that anywhere in the peak/yorkshire gritstone areas when wet.
    Perfectly rideable though, and fun.

boxelder

Doesn't eat your drivetrain though glenh.
    I've just been to Keswick Cottage Hospital with my little lad (went over the bars on his bike and employed the 'chin brake') – nurse there said over half the injuries they see now are bikers from Whinlatter!

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

Went there a few weeks back for the 1st time and it rained all day. The only slippy bits I noticed were tree roots, so watch out for them. Wasn't really that impressed with the place to be honest but it was a bit better tan Grizedale. Prefer the bridelways around the Skidaw and Borrowdale areas.

Pieface

There's a few more roots than other trail centres, that is all.

As others have said, if you're driving 2 hrs, might as well drive 3 and go to CyB as there's alot more to go at. Did North and South loops in 2 – 3 hrs

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I am currently working as a courier and I often deliver to KCH,I must admit its quite worrying to see the amount of Casualties frequenting this place from Whinllater! 🙄

As a regular at the Tuesday evening rides in Keswick I think, Yes! it is slippy!but really its down to the amount of use the trails are getting,after a spell of heavy rain theres quite a lot more consistency in grip and it really does ride better.

Hope the lads ok boxelder 😉

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Can't see the pointof driving to the Lakes to ride a trail centre.The "natural" stuff up there,is better than any trail centre that I've been to.

John25
    Free Member

I rode Whinlatter twice last month, rode all the trails a couple of times. It rained when I was there and I found Whinlatter to be slippier that I expected for a trail centre. But it was certainly not unrideable, just beware that the surfacing in places has a lot of off-camber rocks and slabs to watch out for.

I think it is a fantastic trail centre

Pieface

Young Dave Riley – Shoosh! It keeps the real trails quieter

Bregante

Young Dave Riley – Shoosh! It keeps the real trails quieter

You've got to be kidding! I've just returned from a week up that way and two days running I literally couldn't park on the car park. It was heaving. 😯

Incidentaly while I was up that way I took my 13 yr old round the new "Quercus" blue trail and we had a ball. It's a great little warm up for the red too :mrgreen:

grumm
    Free Member

It used to be a lot slippier, has bedded in quite well imo. The north loop is still a bit slippy in places with the exposed slate and roots, but I think they have made some of that easier too.

Andy-W
    Free Member

I ride most of the time in the Peaks and do like that sort of riding but the good thing about a day at a trail centre is you can just turn up follow the little red and black arrows and you know where you are going and if your lucky end up at a cafe !!

If i had more time i would get the OS map out and do a bit of exploring

boxelder

You've got to be kidding! I've just returned from a week up that way and two days running I literally couldn't park on the car park. It was heaving.

He said 'real trails', meaning not trail centre fast food trails.

Young un's chin healing nicely thank you sir.

el_boufador

[blockquote]It's a hell of a lot more slippy that anywhere in the peak/yorkshire gritstone areas when wet.[/blockquote]

glen h yes you are quite right – the peak / yorks is less slippy in the wet (I was comparing to other local stone/slate riding – praps unclear re-reading my post)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Is Whinlatter as slippy as some people say ??’ is closed to new replies.