• This topic has 118 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)
  • Is this woman a genius?
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

to let everybody know that he thinks it’s rubbish.

Well he went a bit further than that……he informed us that anyone who likes is Bjork is “gullible and credulous”. Which is nice to know.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And qualified it with

But hey ho – what do I know and they are all rich

🙄

Merely answering the question anyway. Not allowed any more?

LycraLout
    Free Member

hey tj, why don’t you show us something you’ve created, being the art expert you seem to think you are

EDIT – bit of a pointless post that one, because the kind of dullard who posts that kind of blanket dismissal usually reckons Hallmark cards and pics of Princes Diana framed with a rose are real “ARTWORKS”. So don’t worry tj, I’m not holding my breath

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

IMO an artist in the same way Tracey Emin or Damian Hurst are artists – con artists selling ridiculous rubbish to the gullible and credulous

I’m sure we’ve done the one about the artistic value of some of the work of Tracey Emin and Damien Hirst.

But, seeing as you are in the mood for answering questions, which artists or artworks do you like and why?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Magritte, Escher, Paolozzi, Moore probably my favourite visual artists.

plumber
    Free Member

I’ve never heard a song I like from her

however

given the people she uses to help her realise her vision I’d says she a pretty smart cookie

LycraLout
    Free Member

Magritte, Escher, Paolozzi, Moore probably my favourite visual artists

..and still got the same posters on your bedroom wall you had when you were at school?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

and why?

samuri
    Free Member

Samuri – that’s the 100th Idiot theory, isn’t it?

Is it? I made it up on the spot, hang on….

blimey, yes, it appears me and Iain are on similar wavelengths. Honestly, I thought that one up myself.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Ahh, bjork’s inspired gravity harps and sharpsichords or some tired old plastic punks on a third comeback tour? Or some recycled 80s synth basslines? Or anotherbunch of re-re-re-cycled indie ‘lads’? I love Bjork, i don’t think everything she tries works (for me) but, bloody hell, she keeps trying to think of new ways to make music and all power to her for it.

Woody
    Free Member

Definitely want to hear (and see) more of that…………….IMO genius AND a hottie in a way almost equal to her music.

CountZero

TJ doesn’t seem to grasp that Björk and Magritte are very similar in lots of ways, they just express their art in a different fashion. Neither relies on shock or an entire workforce to help get their art to a wider audience. I have no time for Emmin, and little for Hirst, although some of what he does is interesting, but it’s largely derivative. I love Björk, rather liked The Sugarcubes, except for the shouty bloke who kept butting in. I particularly like Army Of Me, that she did with David Arnold, and the remix used in Sucker Punch is fantastic.

roper
    Free Member

an artist in the same way Tracey Emin or Damian Hurst are artists – con artists selling ridiculous rubbish to the gullible and credulous

The word has been spoken.

hora
    Free Member

Play dead was arguably the best Bjork song.

DrJ

But hey ho – what do I know

Not much, apparently.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Exactly DrJ!

Its only an opinion. A strong one perhaps but its all it is. Thats all any view on art is. Someones opinion.

DrJ

Thats all any view on art is. Someones opinion.

Well, not really. Discussion about art can progress beyond the “it looks nice with my wallpaper” level.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There can never be an objective measurement of art – so it is always subjective IE opinion. You might give some peoples opinion greater weight than mine.

DezB
    Free Member

And in my opinion, someone who says Bjork’s art is ridiculous rubbish hasn’t got an opinion worth listening to.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ok- I have never heard anything of hers that makes me want to hear more – how about posting her best stuff to change my mind?

Dobbo

I used to fancy her a bit years ago, it was her cute button nose that did it for me.

MrSmith
    Free Member

did you pluck those from the daily mails ‘best 100 artists you might have heard of’ colour supplement.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

nope. I gave genuine answer. Obvious perhpas but genuine. For example thereare some street sculptures near me I like so I found who who they wer – Pallozzi. I saw more of his stuff in the museum of modern art and liked it.

DezB
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7nphoe94E0&feature=related[/video]

The new single.
    I have no desire to change your mind, but “ridiculous rubbish”?

Ok, a bit of live stuff too
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6a4GVt_T8g[/video]

christ, that’s made me excited about the 13th!!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

If there are two things that TandomJaz should really refrain from commenting on, it’s creativity and genius. Consumer law and teh magic washers on the other hand…

And that’s not opinion; it’s fact!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ta for posting that Dez. – do you really like that? 😯
    edit – I’ll try the second one you posted.

double edit – nope – does nowt at all for me.

DrJ

There can never be an objective measurement of art – so it is always subjective IE opinion. You might give some peoples opinion greater weight than mine.

You have confused art with interior decoration. Art is not necessarily there for you to “like”.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

DrJ – its still opinion. Its it an objective measure? No – its subjective.

MrSmith
    Free Member

If there are two things that TandomJaz should really refrain from commenting on, it’s creativity and genius. Consumer law and teh magic washers on the other hand…

And that’s not opinion; it’s fact!!

a prime example of a left brainer.

i guess the icelandic pixie’s oeuvre would be hard to quantify.

DrJ

What is “opinion”? Of course there is space for discussion and disagreement, but as Monty Python said “argument is an intellectual process”. It is of no value just to say “this is bad, this is good” without any explanation of what that actually means for you.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I much prefer Robbie Williams. He’s got real soul and is a born entertainer.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Uhh, you do know that whole left brain/right brain stuff was abandoned by head knockers about 40 years ago? I think TJ just hasn’t spent much time thinking about art or looking at the ideas behind it and realising that there is a rationale behind most of the stuff that the Daily Mail has a pop at. As DrJ says, there’s more to it than interior design.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

It is of no value just to say “this is bad, this is good” without any explanation of what that actually means for you.

TandomJaz likes = good
    TandomJaz no likes = bad
    TandomJaz no understand = bad

DezB
    Free Member

do you really like that?

No. I f&^*ing LOVE it!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

FFS – you guys are so funny. Express a negative opinion of something and get slated.

I think Bjork is pretentious and its “emperors new clothes” Yes Art ( apart from music) does not play a huge part in my life but I do go to exhibitions and art galleries and I do think about this stuff a bit.

To me its about the reaction it arouses in you – the emotion, the questions it asks. Bjork does nothing to me but irritate.

all art is subjective. Thats why I qualified my original statement as I did – showing I understood exactly what the value of my opinion was on this (not much at all).

Dezb – enjoy. You can have my share 🙂

DrJ

showing I understood exactly what the value of my opinion was on this (not much at all).

FTFY

Yes – a throwaway nasty comment, but the point is valid in this context: that your opinion without any qualification is more or less worthless.

jon1973
    Free Member

FFS – you guys are so funny. Express a negative opinion of something and get slated.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with expressing a negative opinion, but slating anyone who does like her by saying they’re gullible and credulous just makes you sound like an child that can’t accept that other people may like different things to you. I’m surprised you felt the need to put that comment it, but since you did you should expect criticism for it.

yossarian
    Free Member

oh come off it TJ, you’ve been on here long and often enough to understand that starting off with

IMO an artist in the same way Tracey Emin or Damian Hurst are artists – con artists selling ridiculous rubbish to the gullible and credulous. But hey ho – what do I know and they are all rich

was ALWAYS going to provoke a negative reaction

you were trolling, whether for attention or just for kicks I dunno. But you WERE trolling.

Bjork is odd, but thats not a bad thing. Not into her work but like the variety and madness of it.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

No, express an opinion without any support for it or without any education in the area and you are doing so out of ignorance, that is what you are getting slated for. Not because you don’t like something, but because you have no idea what you are talking about, yet still want to express strong opinions about it

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

was ALWAYS going to provoke a negative reaction

you were trolling, whether for attention or just for kicks I dunno. But you WERE trolling.

actually I wasn’t – just typing quicker than I thought and not thinking about how what I typed would be perceived. Thats my opinion of her – perhaps I should have been less strong with how I expressed it. I did put the qualifier on so people would realise that I accept that my opinion carries little weight.

And I genuinely did not intend to offend

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Is this woman a genius?’ is closed to new replies.