Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Is this the biggest wuss in America?
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Oh, and he ‘got these in the UK, France to be exact’ 🙄

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mv87QRjGCk[/video]

School trips to France always seemed to result in us the the French kids just trying to blow up everything we could find!

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I couldn’t get past the mild geography faux pas.

I’ll stick to my bootleg fireworks…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRItYDKSqpQ[/video]

spacemonkey

Woah, nostalgia trip. We used to smuggle these through France inside deodorant cans. Were some of them called Tom Thumbs?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Woah, nostalgia trip. We used to smuggle these through France inside deodorant cans. Were some of them called Tom Thumbs?

Used to do the same, but in tubes of Pringles. Fill up to the brim almost with fireworks, few crisps on top then glue the foil top down.

In hindsight, this may not have been the smartest thing I ever did.

Sandwich

Most of those were Polish made!

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Just after the last ice age I was on a school exchange trip to Heidelburg. Travel was by train which had individual compartments of 8 seats. Our host families had kindly made food for the return journey and we had naturally obtained the very exotic supply of fire crackers. As we pulled into Cologne station, I pushed a banger into a hard boiled egg, lit it and lobbed it out of the window, it landed on the counter of a paper kiosk on the platform, the image of the ensuing mess has stayed with me for the 40 years since.

bencooper
    Free Member

We used to make something called a Millport Banger – get a catering-size baked bean can, get a box of fireworks, cut open every firework and pour into the can, light fuse and try to outrun the shrapnel.

Amazing we didn’t kill ourselves.

Pigface
    Free Member

Did he really say I got these from the UK, France?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

As we pulled into Cologne station, I pushed a banger into a hard boiled egg, lit it and lobbed it out of the window, it landed on the counter of a paper kiosk on the platform, the image of the ensuing mess has stayed with me for the 40 years since.

I imagine it caused quite the egg-splosion.

Ah, my jacket…

CountZero

Used to get packets of the big bangers, dig out lumps of clay, roll balls of clay and stick a banger innit and light the fuse, then drop into a pond or stream.
    Made a very satisfying thump and a smokey spout of water!

Pook

I turned off after “I got these from the UK, France to be specific”.

Northwind

bencooper – Member

We used to make something called a Millport Banger – get a catering-size baked bean can, get a box of fireworks, cut open every firework and pour into the can, light fuse and try to outrun the shrapnel.

Not as explodey but for us it was the genie- setting a box of matches on fire at once. Quite tame, until you introduce a bam who thinks nothing of stealing a retail crate of matches from the cash and carry, then cutting the match heads off every one, and setting them off all at once. If you imagine a nuclear bomb test, you’d not be far off.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Pretty surprised that the American kid seems so ill at ease with things that go bang….

Actually, scratch that. I’m surprised he’s got a girlfriend.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Being a country lad, bangers in cow pats was our preference in the days following a school French trip. At least for those courageous enough to brazen out the bangers amnesty, accompanied by threats of being detained by customs and suspended from school, that took place at Calais before the coach went on to the ferry (taped under someone else’s seat, just to be on the safe side).

ninfan
    Free Member

Is this the biggest wuss in America?

You do know he’s Canadian, right?

Pook

Is that Canada, France (to be precise)?

gears_suck
    Free Member

He meets the English stereotype of an American so well, it’s embarrassing.
    Dear Lord, what a chump! And those finger nails.. filthy!

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

He meets the English stereotype of an American so well, it’s embarrassing.

Literally 2 posts above yours….

natrix
    Free Member

bangers in cow pats

fond memories………….. :mrgreen:

gears_suck
    Free Member

Literally 2 posts above yours….

So what’s your point?

I_did_dab
    Free Member

small Standard rocket, dismantle to remove the magnesium sparkly bit, compass to make hole in the cardboard, thread French banger fuse through hole, sellotape banger to rocket, short length of copper pipe to aim and you have artillery 8)

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

So what’s your point?

No point. As you were.

mechanicaldope

I once brought some back from a school trip to France so me and two mates went round seeing what we could blow up. Used all the little ones exploding dog eggs and the like then one of my mates had to go home. Me and my remaining friend decided we should try and do something good with the big ones so we tried blowing up the back gate (which backed onto a park) of our head of year. Planted and set off all 6 of the big ones in one go and legged it. Loudest bang i have ever heard but rather disappointingly no actual damage to the gate. My mate who had to go home early heard the bang from his house and rather cruelly phoned my other friend later in the evening to say his road was full of ambulances cos an old lady had died of a heart attack caused by a loud bang and the police were looking for two boys of our description. To say we were shitting ourselves was an understatement! When we found he was joking he got such a dead arm!

Xylene
    Free Member

Bean cans? Pfft.

We had a mate with a farm, and a friend with a dad who homebrewed.

We used to get shotgun cartridges from our farming mate and small co2 canisters from our brewing mate. Puncture CO2 canister, put propellant from shotgun into it and make a fuse.

We blew a basketball swallowing hole in a friends frozenn garden one time, put out the neioghbours greenhouse.

Another time – stupidly stuck a glowing splint into the end of one when it went out, don’t know how we werent’t killed maimed or blinded by it. Couldn’t hear for a couple of days properly.

The fertilizer and diesel , that is a whole other story, which a couple of friends got a slap for from the local policeman.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Is this the biggest wuss in America?’ is closed to new replies.