Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Is this right? disc brake cleaner content
  • tang
    Free Member

hi all

just reading this fitting guide and in the comments at the bottom(looks like its from shimano/madison) they say using muckoff de-greaser as a brake cleaner is ok on shimano brakes as its mineral oil. is this right?
    here

lookmanohands
    Free Member

No no no no stop that now……walk away from the muc off!

lookmanohands
    Free Member

you fitting them now tang? If you are free tomorrow mate I can give you a hand!

tang
    Free Member

dont worry im not going to! saw the comment on the above link and thought must be wrong. free tomorrow as it happens (wife is ill and canceled trip to wales) so yes please!

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Ok mate am of out now, will email you when I get back to sort some details out 😆

DezB
    Free Member

This? 6. Mineral Oil (LHM) is not caustic as stated so a degreaser such as Muck Off is fine to use as brake cleaner isn’t realy that good for paintwork either

That poorly constructed sentence is true, but specific brake cleaner is better.
    Muc-off isn’t a good cleaner for anything tbh.
    I think they are just referring to this – Give the calliper and the lever a good clean with brake cleaner to remove any trace of hydraulic fluid – the fluid is caustic and will eat away at the finish of the brakes if left there which must be taken from another brakes instructions

trail_rat
    Free Member

mucoff degreaser is not the stuff in the pink bottle FYI it is in a black aerosol can and is ok for disk rotors … shouldnt matter what oil is in your brakes , id never recomend getting brake cleaner near your caliper or pads ….

BoardinBob

Sprayed Muc Off disk brake cleaner all over my rotors and pads and never had a problem

tang
    Free Member

yes i know the difference. i do use mucoff degreaser on the drivetrain and fenwicks for the mud, never put the degreaser anywhere near the calipers/pads/discs. so degreaser is ok on disc rotors? i see they are, from that sentence, saying use degreaser to clean up oil after bleed and prior to pad and discs being fitted…i guess!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Is this right? disc brake cleaner content’ is closed to new replies.