Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Is this racist or just inflamatory?
  • grum
    Free Member

See this (and the comments) for some sickening ‘poppy fascism’, the irony of which seems to be lost on the morons posting.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=625136347524388&id=209224299115597&set=a.211785712192789.51018.209224299115597&source=48&ref=m_notif&notif_t=share_reply&__user=603351473

Don’t you think it’s a bit weird that you can be prosecuted for burning a poppy in the first place? Ignorant and offensive it may be, but I tend to feel that the millions who are remembered today died to give us the freedom to do it.

Yup.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I dont usually wear a poppy. Still donate, just don’t like wearing things.
    I still stood at the war memorial yesterday for the 2 minute silence with tears in my eyes.
    I imagine most of those hateful comments wouldn’t have been made, had she been white. Racist bigots, the lot of them!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The jist of which is there was a lot more to the situation than is presented on this short poster.

I refuse this to be true. You are a troll and I claim my £5!

Shibboleth
    Free Member

My mum’s Victorian long-cased wall clock bonged 11 times yesterday morning and then stopped dead. The spring is half-wound and it’s run flawlessly for many years and it stopped dead at 11am on Remembrance Sunday.

Don’t you think that’s a bit weird? 😯

bigyinn
    Free Member

pmj, you should get yourself on there and confirm how awful it is (or anyone else for that matter)!
    ALL New Spotted: Isle of Wight

bigyinn
    Free Member

Shibboleth – Member

My mum’s Victorian long-cased wall clock bonged 11 times yesterday morning and then stopped dead. The spring is half-wound and it’s run flawlessly for many years and it stopped dead at 11am on Remembrance Sunday.

Don’t you think that’s a bit weird?
    Muslamic ray guns?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Maybe the European Defense Mechanism failed…

wrecker
    Free Member

Don’t you think it’s a bit weird that you can be prosecuted for burning a poppy in the first place? Ignorant and offensive it may be, but I tend to feel that the millions who are remembered today died to give us the freedom to do it.

(my bold) isn’t that the point?
    I don’t think there’s any law about burning the quran, but it’s still a disgusting and offensive thing to do. The freedom given to us (all) should go hand in hand with a bit of respect.

zilog6128

I don’t think there’s any law about burning the quran, but it’s still a disgusting and offensive thing to do for a minority of the UK population.

FTFY

Northwind

You don’t need to be religious to be disgusted by an attack on that religion! I’d say the majority of the population would agree that burning a bible or a qu’ran in order to offend people is wrong. Being a dick to people is generally frowned upon.

zilog6128

Well, I wouldn’t burn either of those things personally but it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest if anyone else did. Agree that being a dick is bad though. The future dudes in Bill & Ted had it right.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

This.

You don’t need to be religious to be disgusted by an attack on that religion! I’d say the majority of the population would agree that burning a bible or a qu’ran in order to offend people is wrong. Being a dick to people is generally frowned upon.

And this.

Well, I wouldn’t burn either of those things personally but it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest if anyone else did. Agree that being a dick is bad though. The future dudes in Bill & Ted had it right.

But most of all, this.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7532GXPnO8[/video]

Flaperon

I don’t think there’s any law about burning the quran, but it’s still a disgusting and offensive thing to do.

If we banned everything that someone, somewhere, found offensive, we wouldn’t be able to do anything at all.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Banning things offends me. I think we should put a stop to it.

winston_dog
    Free Member

That Facebook page is incredible. Some bitter bigots on there!

Loving the spelling of “Natzi” from one moron though!

wrecker
    Free Member

If we banned everything that someone, somewhere, found offensive, we wouldn’t be able to do anything at all.

You’re completely right, but burning stuff which is held dear by lots of people isn’t a brilliant idea, be it a book or a little paper flower.
    I suppose that question is; should the law be used against those who do it anyway?

Lifer
    Free Member

No.

epicyclo

The perpetrators unwittingly honoured the considerable number of Muslims who died in the war fighting for the British cause.

The poppy should be as relevant to British Muslims as it is to other British people.

flange
    Free Member

The fact is, there are plenty of stupid ignorant people out there that will victimize and attack those of a different background/skin colour/religious belief just because they’re different. Its not limited to skinhead whites attacking Mosques either, I know a few Indian people who have an abject hatred for Pakistanis.

All this Quran burning/poppy defacing is all pretty pathetic. Why don’t they just turn round and start insulting each others mothers? As for setting up facebook groups…man alive.

On the flip side, everyone has an entitlement to free speech and not be persecuted for their views – surely that’s part of what remembrance Sunday is all about. However people also have the right to not be viciously attacked based solely on their religious views or colour of their skin.

The FB post is racist.

konabunny
    Free Member

everyone has an entitlement to free speech and not be persecuted for their views – surely that’s part of what remembrance Sunday is all about.

Is that what Remembrance Sunday stands for?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I suppose that question is; should the law be used against those who do it anyway?

What, like bankers and embezzling money? Or MPs and tax fraud?

The perpetrators unwittingly honoured the considerable number of Muslims who died in the war fighting for the British cause.

The poppy should be as relevant to British Muslims as it is to other British people.

This. My understanding is that the poppy represents those that have fallen while serving in or with the British military. This includes members of different faiths and those with alternate beliefs, which ultimately is irrelevant – all should be remembered for their sacrifice; it has allowed us to be able to talk freely about the rights and wrongs of it today.

ton

i think it is offensive rather than racist.

ernielynch and darcy will be along shortly, to tell me that i am racist for saying this ^……… 😉

crankboy
    Free Member

Gosh Grum’s link to the facebook page makes me tot want to wear a poppy this year . Unlike the fat bloke at the cafe in Cawthorn Park yesterday, sporting a poppy, who sat down and chatted to his dog all through the two minute silence that they held.

flange
    Free Member

Is that what Remembrance Sunday stands for?

Pendant yeah?

If someone has a view on a certain religion, whether its based on fact or not, it’s entirely up to them. If they take actions based on those points of view that affect others negatively – or force those points of view onto others, then that in my opinion is wrong and should be stopped. Spreading hate on Facebook/twitter falls into the latter in my opinion.

I wouldn’t beat up someone or deface their property because they hold racist views. I wouldn’t expect said racist to damage someone else’s property because they have a different background or skin colour.

konabunny
    Free Member

Not really pendantic if it goes to the heart of the issue!

edlong
    Free Member

I don’t think there’s any law about burning the quran, but it’s still a disgusting and offensive thing to do for a minority of the UK population.
    FTFY

While I agree with your FTFY, I doubt it leads me to the same conclusion. Rights of minorities do require greater protection, because they are more vulnerable.

yunki
    Free Member

saw this on a friends facebook status earlier which made me chuckle..

How bout we get with the times and wear an opium poppy for all our troops guarding heroin fields for the corporate military mafia!

and this prat’s behaviour is far more offensive than any lame FB anti-islam propaganda

wrecker
    Free Member

Rights of minorities do require greater protection, because they are more vulnerable.

Treat everyone equally and we’ll all get along just fine.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Is this racist or just inflamatory?’ is closed to new replies.