Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 150 total)
  • Is this racist and if so, why?
  • muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Actually I can’t be bothered.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

what was the point behind your question?

WTF? Why the Spanish inquisition? The point behind my question was to find out if you meant that folks were adopting traditional white names as a means of integration or ingratiation. That’s all, You’ve said “either, or” and that doesn’t clear things up for me, but to be honest I’m not that bothered any more.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Maybe as an acid test I need to show him a cigar and a car. If he smokes the cigar I’m not racist, and if he steals the car I am.

If he does both, then you must be in South London

DezB
    Free Member

well you would be desmond (see what i did there)

Yes, you made a borderline racist joke. I worked hard to realise that.

soobalias
    Free Member

there was a black woman on the tv yesterday, stating how because she gets racial and sexual discrimination she is the most oppressed of……

ive got no idea what the silly cow was going on about, i switched it over, thats not what i pay my license fee to hear.

MSP

In itself not really racist, but if part of a pattern of similar jokes then it would be.

firestarter
    Free Member

or was it

tree-magnet
    Free Member

MSP – Member
    In itself not really racist, but if part of a pattern of similar jokes then it would be.

So if you tell some jokes that are “not really racist”, then you’re racist?

Is this the same as when I was a kid and my Mum said if I kept eating ice cream I’d turn into one?

soobalias
    Free Member

and, tree, what happened?

juan
    Free Member

i though winston was a dog name… D’ooo

MSP

tree-magnet – Member

MSP – Member

Is this the same as when I was a kid and my Mum said if I kept eating ice cream I’d turn into one?

If you tell a series of jokes that highlight one sector of society as the butt of the joke then yes you are racist.

Are you racist?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think MSP’s point is that there’s a spectrum of what I will call “near racism”, between “not racist” and “definitely racist”, ranging from:

telling the odd joke like that above, particularly in private, to folk that know you etc….to telling lots of them, or linking to lots of Daily Mail artivles on muslims etc on say a public forum.

There are shades of grey in between the black and white (see what I did there? 😀 )

Cougar

i though winston was a dog name… D’ooo

Caninist.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Caninist.

That’s rich coming from a Cougar!

SD-253
    Free Member

vinnyeh – Member
    It’s contextual.
    It’s ok on here, or in a round of jokes at a dinner party, because we all understand that there’s nothing malicious meant by it, but if it was said in the pub, then it could be easily overheard by a workman having a beer, and it might reinforce any racial stereotypes or prejudices he held.

What the hell are you talking about? Its alright for you middle class Liberal tosser to say it

vinnyeh – Member
    because we all understand that there’s nothing malicious meant by it

But we the working class can’t say it because

vinnyeh – Member
    it could be easily overheard by a workman having a beer, and it might reinforce any racial stereotypes or prejudices he held.

This is a simple statement you are making, you have to be working class or is it non middle class Liberal to be a racist. I suppose you also have to be white? Wow the word Bigot comes to mind. Its unbeleivable that anyone would actually put that in a post. You know there might actually be working class person on this site?

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

It’s not very sophisticated, but I wouldn’t call it racist.

It draws on the fact that some of the more traditional names that have long since fallen out of favour in Britain, have maintained their popularity in the Caribbean and amongst the Caribbean diaspora.

A fair proportion of those black Winstons will be named for Winston Churchill.

JonBurns
    Free Member

Ray Winston

Glad I could contribute to this thread 😆

tree-magnet
    Free Member

If you tell a series of jokes that highlight one sector of society as the butt of the joke then yes you are racist.

But if I tell one, it’s ok?

Are you racist?

Didn’t used to be, but tbh I can’t be arsed riding round fields these days, so I don’t enter races anymore.

headfirst
    Free Member

Not read all the posts, but doesn’t the way you say it determine whether its a ‘black’ or ‘white name’:

Win-stun = white

winSTON = black

😉 😉 😉 (just so you know I’m joking in a non-racist way) 😉 😉

mogrim

My sister’s dog’s called Winston. It’s a white lab. Not sure if it helps the conversation, but there you go.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

headfirst – Member
    Not read all the posts, but doesn’t the way you say it determine whether its a ‘black’ or ‘white name’:

Win-stun = white

winSTON = black

😉 😉 ;)(just so you know I’m joking in a non-racist way) 😉 😉

Tell another 4 like that and you are though!!

juan
    Free Member

My sister’s dog’s called Winston. It’s a white lab. Not sure if it helps the conversation, but there you go.

See I was right

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Why the Spanish inquisition?

Racist.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Mogrim! My sister (who is not racist) also has a White lab named Winston (which for a dog is not racist). Are we infact brothers? IIRC she lives near Philconsequences mum (not to my knowledge racist) near Martin Clunes (non racist at time of writing).

My friend has a Black step dad named Winston (he’s not racist, but once in banter used the N-word once to his casusly racist brother, so could possibly be racist after all)

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I had a cat called Winston but he was ginger

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I used to have a dog that was a misogynist, where does he fit into all this? His name was Harry btw.

Bez

Too much ice cream makes you a racist?

I eat loads of vanilla ice cream and that hasn’t affected me whatsoever. I bet it’s just chocolate ice cream that does it. Maybe coffee.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

If a tree falls over but nobody is around to hear it, is it still a racist?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Why the Spanish inquisition?
    Racist.

Porque?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Porque?

I was being ironic; but it seemed to be about right for the general level of the conversation. I/somebody could just as easily have pulled you up on it, it would seem.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I was being ironic

indeed, and I was being Spanish and inquiring or should that be inquisitory

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

casusly racist

Does that mean being racist in the style of Muhammad Ali?

kaesae
    Free Member

😯

nickf
    Free Member

If a Jim Davidson tells ‘darky’ jokes in a forest but no-one hears, do we all wish a tree falls on him anyway?

mt
    Free Member

Sacked a person once for calling his boss Winston. Even his union rep knew it was the right thing. Strange how a simple name that is so harmless can used as a weapon.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

erm… what was his boss’s name?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Desmond?

mt
    Free Member

Shall we all laugh a the racist name joke? That where we came in..

SD-253
    Free Member

cvinnyeh – Member
    It’s contextual.
    It’s ok on here, or in a round of jokes at a dinner party, because we all understand that there’s nothing malicious meant by it, but if it was said in the pub, then it could be easily overheard by a workman having a beer, and it might reinforce any racial stereotypes or prejudices he held.

Dianne Abbot said “Black Mothers are better at looking after there children than white mothers” and “why are we allowing blond haired blue eyed Finns to steal our jobs” (they were nurses hired by the NHS). I have no idea wherever she was talking about black nurses jobs or English jobs in general. But I have no doubt that cvinnyeh – Membercvinnyeh – Member and his dinner party friends whould have no problem with this as you have to be white and working class to be racist. I am trying to think of word that best describes cvinnyeh and his “dinner party friends” Oh I know SNOB. By the way a wine bar is not a pub.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

randeberryj – Member

Dianne Abbot………… why are we allowing blond haired blue eyed Finns to steal our jobs (they were nurses hired by the NHS).

Thats not what she said at all.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘Is this racist and if so, why?’ is closed to new replies.