Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Is this fair?
  • Bosh
    Free Member

Right then, ordered a pair of Shimano winter boots a few weeks ago in size 47. They arrived on Saturday, I unpacked them and they were actually size 42.

I contacted the seller (Chain Reaction Cycles) and they apologised and confirmed it was a labelling error (their error) and that they had no size 47 in stock. No bother they said send tham back and I can have a full refund.

Problem is, they will only refund first class mail. They will not refund the cost of recorded delivery. If I send them first class and they get lost in the post then it seems I’m liable!

Does anyone think this is fair? Obviously I don’t!

I’ve emailed them back telling them this, ill let you know how I get on.

psychle
    Free Member

send ’em 2nd class recorded, only adds an extra £1 doesn’t it?

Bosh
    Free Member

Will look into it tomorrow but I was under the impression it would be twice the price.

There’s a bit of principle going on here also!

legend
    Free Member

this is the risk of buying mail order unfortunately. I’m sure someone will be along shortly to tell you this wouldn’t have happened at your LBS 😉

Torminalis
    Free Member

This wouldn’t have happened at your LBS.

james
    Free Member

What do the Distance Selling Rules/Regulations say?

It wouldn’t have happened at your LBS no, they wouldn’t be offering to pay for any of the cost of returning it to them ..
    Though yes, you would have tried them on in the shop, and all would have been apparant there and then. Illfitting bike parts on the other hand could have been different, depends whether you get them to fit it or not I suppose ..

psychle
    Free Member

Royal Mail Pricefinder 🙂

First Class stamps £3.35
    Recorded (Signed For) First Class stamps £4.09
    Second Class stamps £2.84
    Recorded (Signed For) Second Class stamps £3.58

scaredypants

I reckon you’re probably entitled to ask them to arrange collection, if you’re feeling very arsey (and want your account cancelled?)

mountainlight
    Free Member

If you had bought in your LBS and discovered their mistake (say, wrong shoes in the box), would you demand they paid for your petrol ?

mountainlight
    Free Member

If you had bought in your LBS and discovered their mistake (say, wrong shoes in the box), would you demand they paid for your petrol ?

Bosh
    Free Member

No wouldn’t ask for petrol on the basis that I have a relationship with my lbs and they give me 20% off anyway. I have no such relationship with CRC.

andyl
    Free Member

We had something similar when shoes were delivered instead of a helmet.

We just posted them back 2nd class with proof of postage. They were not what we ordered so it’s not our problem. I am sure they have stuff go missing all the time and it gets written off.

GHill

Just ask for proof of postage (free). Gives you the same protection as signed for if the package goes missing.

Northwind

Not if the value of the item is over the basic cover, whatever that is these days, £40-ish. Which I imagine these will be.

toys19
    Free Member

Sorry but if it’s their error they have to pay the full cost. This isn’t you changing your mind, it’s them sending the wrong stuff.

geoffj

We just posted them back 2nd class with proof of postage. They were not what we ordered so it’s not our problem

It becomes your problem, when they fail to refund your card though.

I reckon you’re probably entitled to ask them to arrange collection, if you’re feeling very arsey (and want your account cancelled?)

+1

But again, they have all the cards money

RoterStern
    Free Member

That is exactly what some idiot tried to do to my LBS. The problem was all his own not the LBS’s but he got all nasty with solicitors letters and everything. Went to court and he lost. But that is Germany for you.

Junkyard
    Free Member

they have to pay for the return as they are not what you ordered at all so it is their errror.
    Under the didstance selling you can return at their cost when they do arrive anyway- 7 days iirc.

avdave2

I would have thought that if someone sends you the wrong item then it’s much the same as sending unsolicited goods and if they want them back they have to take responsibility.

You had a contract with the company to supply you with something and they have failed to honour the contract. Tell them that they have to organise the return or pay for the insurance for you to return them.

If they don’t want to play contact your card company and explain that the transaction needs to be cancelled because the seller has failed to fulfil the contract you had with them. Then contact the seller to say that the goods can be collected.

xiphon
    Free Member

I would try the shoes on in the LBS before paying for them….

But then again, the shoes probably cost £20+ more at the LBS than CRC… so the small cost of return postage is not relevant to me.

Bosh
    Free Member

Well thanks for all the feedback but CRC have just got back to me ad agreed to pay the recorded delivery costs “as a good will gesture” hmmm should pay as a matter of course IMHO but Im happy as not out of pocket.

sh1tforbrains
    Free Member

“Is this fair?”

I say yes. They’re covering the postage aren’t they? Even if you pay extra cos you don’t trust the postie not to nick em it’s cheaper than having driven to a shop and finding they don’t have what you want in stock.

CRC rocks!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

CRC have been very good with me when it comes to refunds. They’ll take stuff up to 12 months after you ordered it so long as you’ve not used it, which is ideal for me as I can never be bothered to go and post stuff.

But they also refunded me a bottom bracket recently that I damaged when fitting a set of cranks that they’d sent me that were too tight. I cranked up the bolts to fit the cranks and stripped the BB threads before getting the cranks all the way on. A lot of shops would have refused to refund the BB and argued that I should have realised the cranks were faulty before trying to force them on, but they didn’t.

Refunds have been timely and included my postage costs.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Just chop your toes off FFS.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Ikea did when I got home and realised not all the parts where in the box. They paid a set amount per mile for me to return it to my local store.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Is this fair?’ is closed to new replies.