Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Is this a scam?
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

This last week I have been getting calls from people claiming to be from a company called Rossendales who are collecting a debt on behalf of HMRC.

Trouble is, I dont have a debt with HMRC.

I expect them to call again tomorrow, seeing as I am not going to give them any of my “data protection” details….

Scam? Or any idea for a number at HMRC to call to find out if they have their wires crossed?

headfirst
    Free Member

Definitely a scam I’d say. Tell them you’ll only respond to written communication, don’t give them your address, HMRC should have it. They did when they sent me a tax rebate recently! 😀

EDIT: from wrecker’s links I’m not so sure now… I’d still want to be very sure about who I’m dealing with, could be someone pretending to be Rossendale’s

leffeboy

Call em. The number is here

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payinghmrc/debtcollectors/
    0845 915 5348.

wrecker
    Free Member

My links only show that the company exists and that they’re used by HMRC. I have no idea if you are being contacted by the real ones. It would be quite unusual for initial contact to be made by phone I reckon. Letter would be the normal protocol.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

call hmrc

do not give any details or money to firm cold calling you.

sparksmcguff

If you owe HMRC anything they should inform you before passing on the debt for recovery. That is you would have received a notice of any tax owed to HMRC. As above call HMRC and establish whether they (HMRC) think you owe them outstanding tax. If yes try to establish who they passed the debt to. Also try to establish with HMRC why there is a discrepancy between your understanding of your tax liabilities and HMRCs understanding of your liabilities.

Recording times and dates of conversations is worthwhile, as is noting the gist of the conversation.

Make a note of every occasion that Rosendales calls – they aren’t allowed to intimidate you and they should not call at unsociable hours.

PS I’m not an accountant so the above in no way constitutes anything other than a personal opinion. I am very opinionated.

ononeorange

As above. It sounds a very odd way to go about it.

Did he sound like George from Phonejacker by any chance?

kennyp
    Free Member

If someone you don’t know phones you up it’s almost certainly either trying to sell something or it’s a scam.

leffeboy

My links only show that the company exists and that they’re used by HMRC.

The link says to phone the HMRC if you are contacted by one of these companies but aren’t sure if it is genuine

glupton1976
    Free Member

Just been on the phone to HMRC and they confirm that I have no outstanding debts with them. Time to have some fun with this lot I think.

Time for a bit of trolling….. 😀

bikeryder85
    Free Member

do keep us updated!

davidjones15
    Free Member

Might be worth dropping Rossendales a line to let them know that their name is being used in a scam.

Cougar

Be very careful.

If you accidentally give them some slip of the tongue which could be interpreted as you acknowledging the debt, you’ll never hear the last of them.

Never, ever deal with these people on the phone, it’s too easy to get legged up. Insist they write to you, and put the phone down. If they don’t have your address, or indeed name, that’s their outlook. Tell them nothing.

jkomo

If you owe HMRC, or if they think you do, you’d get loads of stuff by post before a phone call.
    If you have not updated your address it may be going somewhere else.
    Phone them. They are generally reasonable I’ve found.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Intrigued by this any updates?

the-muffin-man

Time for a bit of trolling…..

If it is genuinely Rossendales contacting you then they are not to be messed with (I’ve had dealings with them in the past). Deal with it professionally and keep records of all conversations and correspondence.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Let your local Old Bill know as well…

glupton1976
    Free Member

They haven’t been on contact again since I told them that I have no debts and refused to answer their questions.

wwaswas

They haven’t been on contact again since I told them that I have no debts and refused to answer their questions.

they’ve passed the debt on to sendtheboysround.com 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

If you owe HMRC, or if they think you do, you’d get loads of stuff by post before a phone call.

Or, in my case, turn up on our doorstep unannounced (chasing on PAYE payments). The annoying thing was that I had no debt and it was all down to them giving me bad advice after dropping under the £1.5k a month limit for monthly repayments.

jekkyl

gOOOOOOD afternoon sir, if you could just give me your bank account number and sort code, we can wire you the monies.

TheFlyingOx

I’m expecting something similar soon. Getting threatening letters for PAYE owed by my company for 2012-2013. The company that ceased trading in 2011. The company that they now can’t find on their system, as it doesn’t exist, so refuse to let me talk to them about.

HMRC are without a doubt the most inept set of buffoons I’ve ever had the misfortune to be in dealings with, and I have no doubt that the vigour with which any debt collection agencies they employ collect correlates directly with HMRC’s incompetence.

TheFlyingOx

I’m expecting something similar soon. Getting threatening letters for PAYE owed by my company for 2012-2013. The company that ceased trading in 2011. The company that they now can’t find on their system, as it doesn’t exist, so refuse to let me talk to them about.

HMRC are without a doubt the most inept set of buffoons I’ve ever had the misfortune to be in dealings with, and I have no doubt that the vigour with which any debt collection agencies they employ collect correlates directly with HMRC’s incompetence.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Is this a scam?’ is closed to new replies.