Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Is there such a thing as good tasting, instant decaf coffee?
  • johnhe

For various personal reasons, I have had to give up caffinated coffee. Being coffee free is really helping my sleep, but it sucks not to be able to get a good tasting cup of coffee every day.

For the mo, I use my fab Nespresso machine at home and bring an insulated mug into the office with me, which does me ’till lunchtime.

Is there such a thing as decent instant decaf?

wwaswas

caffetierre?

druidh
    Free Member

Douwe Egberts

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

I drink probably for similar reason decaff and Douwe Eggs is the best so far.

ton

like druidh say’s and kenko.
    i drink it all the time.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Douwe Egberts was horrible, Kenco Gold is my current one

headfirst
    Free Member

I find Carte Noir just about acceptable.

mrdestructo

I used to drink Italian blend filter coffee and I’ve been drinking Granarom decaff Gold from Lidl and find it drinkable as far as instant decaff goes. I’ve tried the ‘gold’ ones that Tesco and Morrisons sell and thought they were either watery or bitter.

slowrider
    Free Member

reminds me of that keith bontrager quote; ‘strong, light, cheap. pick two’

good tasting, instant decaf, coffee. pick two.

johnhe

A friend has just popped round my desk and insisted that Clipper Organic Decaf is the biz. Can’t personally recommend it yet, but I may try it out.

grum
    Free Member

Douwe Egberts is by far the nicest instant I’ve tried, dunno about their decaf. By the way, the process for leaching the caffeine out of coffee involves the use of fairly unpleasant solvents.

You can get coffee made from beans that naturally don’t have caffeine in but I don’t imagine it’s cheap.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

I gave up coffee a few years ago and while I do occasionally miss a good real coffee, instant coffee isn’t coffee, it’s a strange substitute that no one in their right mind would say tasted like the real thing.

If you’re going to drink a caffeine free drink why not drink something natural like Red Bush tea? Yes, it tastes strange at first (never add milk) but you get used to it and now everything else taste weird.

If I do ever have a coffee now it makes me go all shaky.

fairhurst
    Free Member

I would not advocate anything other than fresh coffee,instant is not nice whatsoever!

matthewlhome
    Free Member

any of the various ones that look like they have a nice jar. Bit like ordinary instant really, the more expensive ones taste better.

other option is to get an aeropress coffee maker and take some proper decaff into work with you.

not all decaff is done with solvents – there are solvent free varieties available.

oldboy
    Free Member

Morrisons’ own-brand decaf tastes OK to me – but I’m just a tight-wad Yorkshireman, so what do I know.

tomhughes
    Free Member

Theres not such thing as good tasting instant coffee!
    Coffee is a bit like bikes, you try something a bit better than what you’re used to and you want it. You then can’t have anything worse because it feels rubbish. Then you trying something better and you want it, now the cafetiere coffee tastes rubbish. Before you know it you have a Gaggia and rancilio grinder and you buy your coffee from a man who tells you how many animals ate this coffee then crapped it out. Its a slippery slope, but I wouldn’t go back 😉

curvature
    Free Member

animals ate this coffee then crapped it out

Been there done that too!

I heard that it was being sold for £25 a cup!

dantsw13

Try Starbucks sachets of microground cofee – they do decaf too.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Why is this on bike forum…

garage-dweller

Instant -hmmmm
    Decaf – hmmmm
    Instant decaf – bleuch!

The best one I’ve found is the standard Nescafe blue top, all the posh ones try too hard to be ‘proper’ coffee and end up more disappointing as a result. The blue nescafe produces (to misquote the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) a drink that is almost but not quite entirely unlike coffee.

Some Rooibos, green tea a glass of water or fruit tea would be better in most instances.

Nick

I find I have to quit drinking coffee just after lunch or I struggle to sleep, if I find I can’t drink it when I get up in the morning (because I can’t sleep later that day) then I’ll call it a day, instant coffee is crap.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

cant you not just have the caffine and a light sedative?

studioderm
    Free Member
    sandwicheater

I’m on clipper at the moment, not bad (not really selling it am i). I’ll happily spoon some into an envelope and post to you for tasting. You could have a taste off from the above selection if everyone chips in. 😆

JimBowen
    Free Member

I had to give up coffee after new year as it was giving me terrible indigestion and insomnia. Mrs Bowen wasn’t best pleased as she bought me a new coffee machine for christmas and shipped over some Dunkin Doughnuts french vanilla coffee from America.
    I’ve found that since giving coffee up i have generally felt healthier (apart from the withdrawal symptons during the 1st week without) and slept alot better
    I now have a cup of tea in moderation and am looking for a nice decaf ground coffee for a cup on the weekend. There’s no way i will be going down the instant decaf route.

budgierider67

Get one of these;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smartcafe-Hot-Cafetiere-Mug-Platinum/dp/B0007MTNJ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335441790&sr=8-1

Add a small container of cafetiere coffee and you’re good to go.
    The filter is part of the cup so just plunge and then drink.
    It doesn’t have a lid but is insulated and does a good job of keeping your drink hot.
    Just the two parts to rinse clean afterwards.
    Easily worth the effort.

johnhe

I’m sorry to report that the Clipper coffee is horrible. No more horrible than any other instant decaf I admit, but horrible nonetheless.

I’m beginning to accept the coffee/instant/decaf – choose two motto.

Maybe I’m just using the wrong coffee grains in my little one person cafetiere. I hate using cafetieres because it’s so grainy towards the bottom. Could I use a coarser grain which the filter is more effective at catching?

ash.addy
    Free Member

No there is not a good decaff coffee

ransos
    Free Member

Maybe I’m just using the wrong coffee grains in my little one person cafetiere.

You’re using instant coffee in a cafetiere?

martinxyz
    Free Member

I usually sleep after a strong cup of coffee or three. Not sure what’s going wrong with me but I could have a big mug of strong fresh coffee and crash after half an hour for the night (after drinking it around midnight)

To the OP – an insulated mug of coffee does you till lunch??? Do you start work at 11am? 😉

Douwe Eggberts & Carte Noir are my fave instants, with Carte Noir edging it.

To everyone else – I quite like a cup of instant, it has to be at least two teaspoons of coffee though. I’ve had plenty of cups of filter/ground coffee that taste like crap too, so it’s all subjective really, isn’t it?

globalti
    Free Member

I drink lots of normal tea and coffee up to 6 pm but after 6 it’s beer, wine, water, decaf tea or rooibos. By bed time the caffeine has worked its way out of my system and I get to sleep OK.

naffrider
    Free Member

Kenco decaf is the best Ive tasted so far, remember some aldi decaf, tasted like metal.

But also have some normal Douwe Egberts in the draw incase I’m really flagging.

higgo
    Free Member

Kenco decaf for me – I drink proper (espresso) coffee up to about 6pm but after that no caffeine.

For me they’re two different drinks. There’s no point trying to make a decaf equivalent of my espresso so I have a mug of it, with more milk and maybe a slice of something cakey.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It needs to be said. MTFU and just have a cup of tea.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I think some of us need to get over ourselves. Yes, Instant coffee tastes nothing like real coffee, but that doesn’t make it undrinkable. It’s just different.

maccruiskeen

If taking an insulated mug from you nespresso thing is doing you til lunchtime then why not just use a flask and have enough for the whole day.

I take a flask of cafetiere coffee with me most days when I’m out working, made at 7am its still good to drink at 3 or 4 in the afternoon (if I don’t guzzle it before then). If you take milk in your coffee just don’t add it to the flask – add it later when you are drinking it.

But…… As someone who’s had to give up a one or two foodstuffs over the years – better advise is don’t do substitutes they’re just unsatisfactory and inconvenient. If you have to cut out coffee, just cut it out and drink something else entirely

Solo
    Free Member

If you take milk in your coffee just don’t add it to the flask – add it later when you are drinking it.

So that’ll be two flasks then ?.

Q.
    Why are some people cutting out coffee ?.
    (Genuine like)

maccruiskeen

So that’ll be two flasks then ?.

I don’t think the OP works in an the sort of extreme environment where a fridge isn’t to hand.

Q.
    Why are some people cutting out coffee ?

If caffeine effects you badly – the op is having sleep problems – then not drinking caffeine is a reason to stop drinking coffee.

I know you’d want a more complicated answer though Solo 😆 I can’t think of one though, maybe its got something to do with oxybollocarbons, the bad sort rather than the good sort 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

I know you’d want a more complicated answer though Solo

Not at all.
    If its just that simple as its keeping you awake, stoppig you catching your Z’s.

Then thats my curiosity satisfied.
    😀

EDIT:
    I’m new to this coffee drinking malarkey and haven’t really a clue about any of it.
    I didnt got to Coffee school.
    I’m in my early 40s and have only started to drink it, recently.

I usually get a coffee from a local Costa, once or twice a day.
    A medium black.
    This, I’m thinking, is Fresh coffee as opposed to instant, I’m guessing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Is there such a thing as good tasting, instant decaf coffee?’ is closed to new replies.