Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Is there such a thing as good country music?
  • salsaboy
    skinnysteel
    Free Member

Apart from an early dalliance with Joe Ely thanks to the Clash way back when, I really started with the Byrds, onto Gram Parsons, noting his influence on the Stones on the way and became utterly infatuated with Emmylou thanks to her contribution to the 2 solo albums and Wrecking Ball. After that it was a downward spiral with Lyle Lovett, Steve Earle, the man in black of course, Lucinda Williams, Ryan Adams and a host of others. Mostly biased towards the rockier end of the spectum.
    Try Joshua Judges Ruth by Lyle Lovett if you haven’t already. Love Williams’s Essence & World Without Tears. Latter is in my all time top-ten

martinh
    Free Member

I’m not the only one who remembers Blood on the saddle then Pigface. Used to have the first album on vinyl but can’t find it digital anywhere.

Further votes for Lucinda Williams, Gillian W etc. nice to see Iris Dement mentioned although not enough John Prine fans out there.

SaxonRider

There is tonnes of good country, and different types as well. In addition to the folk named already, try Sara Harmer for a bit of bluegrass:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3BnEIi97YI[/video]

toppers3933
    Free Member

quite often find myself enjoying a bit of bob harris country on radio2. not that I’m any great barometer of whats good or not. i also really like the soundtrack to ‘oh brother where art thou’.

Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Is there such a thing as good country music?’ is closed to new replies.