Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Is there such a gadget
  • simonm
    Free Member

I want a gadget that I can mount on the wall in my Kitchen, wherby I can TXT to the device reminders, notes, to do lists etc.

Does this exist ? Something a bit larger than just sellotaping a PAYG phone to the cupboard.. 7″ screen or abouts..

Cheers.

jon1973
    Free Member

like this ?

O2 Joggler

I liked the look of it but I’m with Vodafone.

uplink
    Free Member

I want a gadget that I can mount on the wall in my Kitchen, wherby I can TXT to the device reminders, notes, to do lists etc.

It’s been done mate ………..

They call it a wife or girlfriend

tails
    Free Member

Would you not just set these on your mobile or laptop with an alarm if it is very important. Although I see a use for your exact requirements.

Houns

I just use the post it note application/widget on my android htc

grievoustim
    Free Member

not quite as you describe – but I have the “things” application on my computer and iphone

does a good job of managing my to do list – but not super cheap

Think there is a cheaper/ free one called “dont forget the milk”

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yep the Joggler is what immediately sprung to my mind too.

Cougar

I was going to suggest the Joggler also.

FWIW, we tackled this problem using Google calendar. I’ve got a shared calendar synced to my phone and to the OH’s, along with my personal / work Outlook calendar syncing to my phone and hers to hers. It was a bugger to set up (too many different platforms) but now works very well. We can both see at a glance whether we’re free on $day, and make plans accordingly without protracted buggering about.

emsz
    Free Member

Blackboard?

chvck
    Free Member

I see what you mean and that’d be pretty cool, something that syncs with google tasks or something and just displays on your wall. That’d be rad if you integrated calendars (as Cougar mentions) etc..

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Not really sure you can text reminders to blackboards.

But you could buy a monkey, give it a phone and leave him in your kitchen then every time he gets a text he could nip over to the blackboard and write stuff on it.

You could also text him to know you are on your way home from work and he could pop the kettle on.

Cougar

I was just idly wondering if I could get a Joggler to display my Google calendar; that’d be a killer app for me, and render it pointless if I can’t.

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mobile%29,CASE=21593

Short and sweet, then.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

I have a joggler and it comes with google calendar as standard. The calendar is also shared with my iPhone and my girlfriends htc. When you add an entry on either of the phones or the joggler it syncs across all three. Hope that helps

molgrips
    Free Member

You can get PCs built into a touchscreen monitor – they are quite big, but you could have an app to do what you suggest. Would be cool – don’t think anyone makes one tho.

Cougar

I have a joggler and it comes with google calendar as standard.

Oh? Interesting. Cool, ta.

AlexSimon

What about those cheap iPad clones that run Android. Some reviews are good, some average. But that’s comparing it to an iPad. As a Joggler competitor they’ve surely got to be better.

A few of them are running Android 2.1 now too. Most of them are between £100 and £150.

Although – unless they have 3G, or you can do something other than just text (email/calendar would do), then it might not sync to your phone.

I’ve never looked into the Archos tablets, but they might do what you’re after too.

simonm
    Free Member

some great tips… Thanks.. tried the wife but she’s too costly to keep maintaned and running well.

molgrips
    Free Member

What about those cheap iPad clones that run Android.

The Galaxy thing? It’s not cheap!

iDave
    Free Member

i use voice notes via evernote – goes from phone to mac seamlessly
    sometimes just a photo via evernote will be a reminder, and can also go mac to phone

so,…….. i suggest you have a look at ‘evernote’

molgrips
    Free Member

I use One Note but I dunno if it supports the sending of things TO it.

thomthumb
    Free Member

They call it a wife or girlfriend

But you could buy a monkey, give it a phone and leave him in your kitchen then every time he gets a text he could nip over to the blackboard and write stuff on it.

probably easier/ cheaper to marry the monkey.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m just building up a kitchen computer using an old P4 3Gig and a cheap 12″ touchscreen. I’m working my way around the software required (W7 does most of the stuff I need) but I plan to use some google gadgets on the desktop to link to my google calendar and show upcoming events, which can be set from my phone via web. I’m also planning to have a recipe database and a bar code scanner to scan in stuff we use and want back on the shopping list for next time.

That 02 joggler looks pretty good.

simonm
    Free Member

I’ve lost the link bug earlier I found a site in New zealand where the guy had done the same, think he was giving the software away for free with the bar code scanning for food etc

brassneck

The Galaxy thing? It’s not cheap!

Nope, loads of sub £100 Android tablets on t’Ebay.

Quite tempted.

Pembo
    Free Member

I’ve started using the ‘Days Until’ widget on my Google homepage for the usual stuff like insurance, MOT, Birthdays. etc. You can see at a glance what’s coming up next and it will automatically put the task to the bottom of the list when it reaches the due date.

It doesn’t sync with anything but I use the PC nearly everyday so I know what’s coming up.

Milkie
    Free Member

Whiteboard & IP Webcam!? For the pure Ghetto 21st century tech. 😆

simonm
    Free Member

looks like Joggler isnt available

Milkie
    Free Member

Chumby One? You can add google calender to it.

coffeeking
    Free Member

simonm – you talking about this chap?

http://lifehacker.com/5451243/build-a-wall+mounted-kitchen-computer

I found his links when I was looking for software for mine – he seems to have basically just created a web page to launch stuff, which is simple enough but not very pretty. Do you mean another one – I’d love to see some other options. I went through about 5 Linux distros trying to sort out niggles and driver problems before I fell back on W7 but W7 gives me so few software options I’m annoyed to have to use it.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Is there such a gadget’ is closed to new replies.