Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Is there anything more depressing than ironing shirts?
  • jools182
    Free Member

I’ve not had to wear shirts for years

Over Christmas and New Year I made the effort

Now I’m having to iron the swines

Seriously losing the will to live

wwaswas

Is there anything more depressing than ironing shirts?

Events in Paris today?

jambourgie
    Free Member

I quite enjoy ironing a shirt. Though I don’t wear them everyday so when I do it generally means I’m going out somewhere. Which is nice. Must be horrific having to do it every morning. Are you using distilled water and starch? 😉

jota180
    Free Member

Mine iron themselves, I think 🙂

fasthaggis

Put board up .
    Put iron on.
    Put telly on
    Put film on.
    Put New man/metrosexual badge on.
    Now get on with it.
    😛

Houns

I don’t mind ironing at all

zippykona

Body heat gets rid of creases.

sandwicheater

With the cold spell I wear a thin jumper over my shirt while in the office (yeah, deal with it 8) ) so I get away without having to iron them.

Come summer it does my nut in (ironing shirts, not wearing jumpers)

Events in Paris today?

Not sure the real world has any place in this post. Never the less, you are correct.

matt_outandabout

Where to start?

lunge

I don’t mind ironing at all and I wear shirts 5 days a week.

Sunday evening, put Eurosport on (skiing in the winter, cycling and IPL in the summer) and get on with it. There are much worse household jobs in my eyes.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Steam iron
    Bit of starch

TV or radio – job done

john_drummer
    Free Member

yes – ironing someone else’s clothes. unfortunately I’m not bad at it so I often get the job of ironing mrs_d’s stuff

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hardly takes any time really. That said I did practice a lot. Always nearly tempted when I’m away with work just to get them done in the hotel…

andytherocketeer

Where to start?
    Eastenders
    Football

just stick the telly on and blitz just enough shirts

jools182
    Free Member

wwaswas, I’m still in shock about Paris, depression would imply I was expecting it. Depression may come later

I wasn’t being entirely serious with the thread title.

Its one of those things that reminds me of gloomy, dark, Sunday early evenings. Hate it

jimmy

I normally do them in batch on Sunday evening with the telly on. Which is good because it takes my mind off Top Gear.

brant
    Free Member

Washing Sieves
    Garth Crooks.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWxUVGbArc8[/video]

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Get non iron shirts from M&S. They gave me my life back! Or at least 15 minutes a week anyhow.

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

£6 to iron five shirts and they collect and deliver.

I’ve no idea how they make it pay! I’d be on about £2 an hour at the speed I do a shirt.

edlong
    Free Member

For many years I used to wear three piece suits to work, not as an affectation, but simply because then I could get away with just ironing the collar, sleeves and a small triangle on the front of a shirt.

Jakester
    Free Member

It was one of my little middle class luxuries, paying to have my shirts ironed.

Since moving, I haven’t been able to find a reliable ironing service and have had to revert to doing them myself. I thoroughly deplore it, I would rather do any other domestic job than iron – it’s an exercise in futility, because after you’ve ironed it, you’re going to then wear it and ruin all your hard work, wash and have to repeat.

Sadly my job entails having to wear a shirt.

Non-iron shirts simply don’t look as good – you can tell they’re non-iron.

ourmaninthenorth

Quite like the logic of ironing a shirt well:

Back of collar
    Front of collar (ironing inwards from tips to avoid Mother-in-Law creases, as I call them)
    Yoke (iron inwards)
    Sleeves – inside then outside*
    Cuff (inside, no crease)
    Front left
    Back
    Front right

*I’m a bit of a pleb and iron a crease in the sleeves between yoke and cuff. Must buy an ironing board with one of these:

epicsteve
    Free Member

Put board up .
    Put iron on.
    Put telly on
    Put film on.
    Put New man/metrosexual badge on.
    Now get on with it.

Same here. Although one caveat is that since having to iron my own shirts much of the time I’ve got a lot more interested in buying shirts that are easy to iron!

ekul
    Free Member

I just send mine to the MILs once a week 😀

TiRed

Rather enjoy it. We do have one of those impressive steam devices and a big Brabantia board. 20 shirts a week is not unknown, what with school uniforms.

Bedding. Now that gets contracted out.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Bedding. Now that gets contracted out.

My wife and I disagree on ironing bedding. She’s pro ironing it and I’m anti. She’s violent and I’m not though – so when it’s my turn I iron it to avoid a beating.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Ironing bedding? That’s demented. Do you iron underwear?

epicsteve
    Free Member

Ironing bedding? That’s demented.

I agree

Do you iron underwear?

Not even my wife is demented enough for that.

leffeboy

I always thought that if i had to iron lots of shirts I would buy one of these, but having just watched the video I think it’s quicker just to do it by hand 🙁 is dissapointed
    [video]http://youtu.be/qXC1Z8oLzCM[/video]

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve got a steam iron thingy and even I send my to the cleaners for washing and ironing..

Life’s too short 8)

mattjevans
    Free Member

I wash my own shirts but ironing is a step too far. Outsource

MoreCashThanDash

5 work shirts, 5 school shirts for junior, 5 school blouses for LittleMissMC.

Tend to do them in two batches. Along with all the other stuff. But MrsMC frilly skirts and blouses get left for her to do.

As for bedding, why?

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Anything more depressing than…….?

Yup, how about working a soul destroying 9 to 5 job that requires ironed shirts….. now that really is **** depressing.

batfink
    Free Member

Mine are about 1.50 each from the laundrette on the corner – haven’t ironed a shirt (or anything else) for the last 5 years.

It’s one of the last luxuries I would give up if I had to….. I chuffing hate ironing.

TiRed

Do I iron underwear? Boxers – yes. Others – no. can’t stand boxers with curled edges!

I draw the line at towels too.

somafunk

i’ve managed to get to the age of 42 without ever owning an iron or having to iron anything in my life, then again i don’t own a shirt, or trousers, however the maid in Zimbabwe used to iron clothing that was hung outside but that was to kill off the jigger fly larvae that would lay it’s eggs in the seams of damp clothing then burrow into your skin, thankfully there is no jiggers in Scotland.

jools182
    Free Member

Simon_Semtex – Member 
    Anything more depressing than…….?

Yup, how about working a soul destroying 9 to 5 job that requires ironed shirts….. now that really is **** depressing.

That’s part of it I think, it’s part of a bigger picture. I was suddenly reminded of looking at the same people on the station platform every morning and evening. I was around 20, looking at people who were 20 or 30 years older than me and thinking ‘is this it?’. The scary thing is I’m 20 years older now and someone is looking at me thinking the same thing 😳

I’m going to find some heavy duty boots and give myself a massive kick up the arse

joepose
    Free Member

Yes – for those that travel with work and have to get them back out of the suitcase all creased up again!

wilburt
    Free Member

I don’t actually mind the act of ironing but it’s one of those pointless tasks your life is better without. Write a list of the top twenty activities that bring you pleasure or benefit, should ironing be on the list?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Is there anything more depressing than ironing shirts?’ is closed to new replies.