Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • is there any way to improve doom 3 on my ancient pc? dell dimension 4300
  • racefaceec90

right from memory my pc is a 1.8 ghz pentium 4 dell with a nvidia geforce 3 ti graphics card.it has 512 mb total physical memory and a 55gb hd. here is the minimum spec for the game http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/532/532023p1.html the game does indeed run on my pc,but am finding the characters/enemies looking pretty basic (and they have a line going down their middle).is there any way that i can increase the graphical performance of the game (i know that the answer will probably be no 😉 thanks and apologies for asking a stupid question 😳

BoardinBob

Given the very cheap price of PC bits these days, it’s more cost effective to buy a new machine or build your own.

You could maybe chuck more memory at yours, god knows if you can get a compatible graphics card to upgrade.

Best solution is a new machine

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Do you know what motherboard you have got? You can get acreplacemt AGP graphics card for a few quid (2nd hand eBay) a geforce fx or something and put as much ram in as your board will take. I take it the idea is to spend ss little money as possible here, if spend any at all. Also check all your drivers are up to date and your games patched…

…or buy doom 3 for your xbox instead. Less faffing about 🙂

cranberry
    Free Member

For games you need a good processor, plenty of memory and most importantly a decent graphics card. The cheapest way to get them in your case would be to buy a new PC.

For example, something like this ugly thing

z1ppy

Have a read of this

Basically the short answer is no, you could try upgrading the ram if you can locate some cheap enough, but unless you can get hold of stuff dead and I mean dead cheap, save your cash and buy new or newer 2nd hand kit. An older dual core PC won’t cost the earth and should run Doom3 fine… a new “i series” processor should piss it but then will cost more.

aracer
    Free Member

The cheapest way to get them in your case would be to buy a new PC.

So a £400 PC is cheaper than a £35 graphics card? I won’t get you to do my accounts. He’s not asking for something to run the latest games or anything like that – just Doom3 – and what he’s got should be fine with a cheap graphics upgrade.

racefaceec90

thanks for the replies everyone.i have a confession to make.i sent this thread,before actually trying any of the higher settings (in my defence,i really thought that my pc would only be able to handle the lowest settings 😳 it turns out i was very wrong 😀 by some miracle (thank you john carmack,i reckon it’s because of his gaming genius 😀 i have been able to run the game at the highest graphics setting (with only some slowdown when the game is getting hectic 😯 😀 believe me,i am as gobsmacked as you (i didn’t for the life of me think that i could run the game at any decent resolution) you might be able to tell that i am quite happy about this 😀 thanks again everyone 😀

Northwind

If you like, drop me your address, I have a slightly less ancient E6300 processor somewhere which is about 2 generations newer than what you have fitted, it’ll be hit and miss whether it works in your motherboard but it ought to be the same socket at least so it’ll just depend on compatability. If it does work, it’ll be a fair old kick up the bum for your PC but the chip’s almost worthless these days so you’d be welcome to it.

racefaceec90

Northwind that is very kind of you,i’m ok with the pc as it is to be honest.when funds allow i will be saving up for a gaming specific pc (am going to try and save £6-£700) anyway i am a complete dunce when it comes to anything technical 😳 thank you again though 🙂

Northwind

No worries!

fullysussed
    Free Member

You probably know this already, but if cost is an issue, youre far far better off sticking to consoles.

aracer
    Free Member

if cost is an issue, youre far far better off sticking to consoles.

Unless of course you already have a PC and/or need a PC for other things anyway.

fullysussed
    Free Member

No, it’s still cheaper usually.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘is there any way to improve doom 3 on my ancient pc? dell dimension 4300’ is closed to new replies.