Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is there any singletrack on Jersey?
  • kermit
    Free Member

Morning all,

Later next month, I’ll be driving a van full of Scout camping gear over to Jersey, and will be staying for a long weekend before I fly back.

I will have space to chuck a bike in the back of the van, but I wasn’t sure whether it would be worth bothering? Does anyone know of anywhere worth riding on the island?

We’ll be on the East coast, not far from the airport if that makes much difference on an island the size of Jersey!

mahalo

never been and don’t know for sure, but I do know that there’s an EWS privateer called Rich Payne who is based on Jersey. he does vlogs & podcasts from all the races and he’s mentioned a few times that the riding is quite good there, considering.

id send him a msg on social media…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Never ridden there but have visited numerous times and driven around on the small & narrow roads. Lots of lovely coastline and small towns / restaurants on the water. I’d say take a bike but be prepared to spend a lot of time on the roads perhaps

Kamakazie

Airport is on the West coast but as you say, location doesn’t really matter.

Most riding tends to be on the cliff paths but I think bike use on these is tolerated though not strictly allowed. Best coast for this is the North. Also some good riding on the South West coastal paths.

Woods wise there’s some stuff in Greve de Lecq and I think Rozel.

I’d suggest asking Aaron’s Bikes as I think they organise rises and are part of Singletrack premiere dealer’s.

philstone

Yep we have everything here – cliff path single track, wooded valleys and some pretty technical DH – what weekend are you over?

kermit
    Free Member

Thanks for the help so far chaps.

@philstone, my riding opportunity is the morning of Saturday July 28th, as I’ll be getting there on the Friday afternoon and they’ll be getting there on Saturday afternoon, after which I’ll be with them.

I won’t unfortunately be able to actually use the van on the Saturday morning, as they’ll need all the kit when they arrive, so will have to make do with anything a middle-aged fat knacker can ride to from the Scout centre in St Ouen.

Distance wise, I’m looking at probably 25-30 miles tops depending on how technical it is, and technical wise, around the equivalent of red UK trail centre trails would be perfect. 🙂

philstone

Kermit – Friday the 28th or Saturday 29th?

darrenspink
    Free Member

Seems so:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mtb+jersey&rlz=1C5CHFA_enGB680GB681&oq=mtb+jersey&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.2134j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=mtb+jersey+island&tbm=vid

Get on strava and have a look for segments.

kermit
    Free Member

@Philstone – Doh! That would be Saturday 29th. 🙂

@darrenspink, I have been looking on Strava, but I find it a bit of a struggle to suss out what’s properly off road vs on small roads and so on. I really wish they’d come up with a feature to tag on or off road!

philstone

Kermit – I’ll show you around some of the trails out west – drop me an email (in my profile) 8)

kermit
    Free Member

Hi @philstone Just wanted to check you got my email OK? 🙂

sgn23
    Free Member

It’s the cliff paths and beaches which are worth taking a bike over for. The rest of the riding you can easily get more of and better in the UK. Greve and Rozel are tiny woods- the island’s only 9×5 miles.
    I took my fatty over last summer and did a 40Km ride on the beaches from Gorey to L’etacq with only about 4Km off the sand, including visiting a fort 1.5Km out to sea (Seymour Tower). You’ll need a spring tide to get the full distance and it’ll be neap when you’re there, but still worth doing, even on a non-fatty.
    The cliff paths are also a great cheeky ride with the spectacular views and a few moderately techy bits.

butcher

Some surprisingly good road riding in Jersey if it floats your boat. In fact a CX probably isn’t a bad call if you want to mix it up.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is there any singletrack on Jersey?’ is closed to new replies.