Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Is there any difference between USA Kindles and UK Kindles?
  • winston_dog
    Free Member

Currently over in the US on business.

Thinking of picking up a Kindle Paperwhite as they are about £20 cheaper over here.

Does anyone know if is any significant differences?

footflaps

I’d be amazed if there was any HW difference, they keep the cost down by just making millions of one single model, everyone tries to avoid country specific variants in mass produced consumer goods.

samuri
    Free Member

There may be a 3G difference if that’s what you’re going for. The US one will use AT&T rather than Vodafone but I bet they both work anywhere.

There may be some locale settings that you might have to change like keyboard…

And I guess it’s highly unlikely since it will be tied to your Amazon account rather than the device but they may get tetchy about taxing of Uk supplied books. As I say though, very unlikely IMO.

I bet there’s no difference.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I bought a 3G Kindle Touch in the US (won a US dollar pre-paid card), and it works fine in the UK. It does have some unintrusive ads on the sleep screen, which change periodically when I switch the wireless on.

EDIT: Can’t remember how I did it, but it was easy to link to my UK Amazon account.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

There were issues with the Kindle Fire I believe – one of our guys bought one and found it wouldn’t connect to the UK app store or something..

I’ve just done a quick Google and it appears the US Paperwhites have the same issue, they try and connect to Amazon.Com rather than .Co.uk
    That may or may not be an issue for you!

Matt24k
    Free Member

Maybe it’s just a different color 😉

nickc

There’s no ‘u’ in the US spelling..?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Is there any difference between USA Kindles and UK Kindles?’ is closed to new replies.