Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Is there any difference between a 105 9 speed and 10 speed rear mech?
  • ndthornton
    Free Member

My road bike drive was pretty worn at the start of the year so I replaced the cranks, chain, cassette and rear STI with 10 speed stuff. To save money I didn,t bother with the mechs and front STI. Iv since replaced the front mech when it seized up. Now Christmas is coming round Im thinking of asking santa for a 10 speed 105 rear mech (£30 on CRC).

The question is…… is there actually any real difference between 9 and 10 speed mech’s or should I just ask for chocolates?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Eh….?

Other than the obvious?

Ermmmmm…. 😕

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

£30 to make your bike work properly – sounds a bargain. 🙂

ndthornton
    Free Member

What are you talking about its worked fine all year
    The 2 are compatible I was just wondering if there where any improvements or refinements on the 10 speed version

Neeeeeeeever mind

njee20
    Free Member

The cable pull is the same on road stuff, so it’s a sarcasm fail by the above 😉

There are some aesthetic differences, but functionally no, they are the same. If your old one is fine I’d not rush to replace it.

clubber
    Free Member

It’ll be 15% more whizzy and 11% more bangy and have BNG and a slightly modified colorway.

It’ll work fine (as you’ve already proved by using 9 speed mechs with the 10 speed shifters)

cp

You’ll not notice any difference – assuming your old mech isn’t rattly or bent.

chocs taste better

ndthornton
    Free Member

cheers – As I suspected
    The jockey wheels are a bit loose but apart from that its fine really. My shifting is gash but I know that’s cables… just thought while I was swapping cables……….

Yip your right – Iv just totally run out of bike stuff to buy!
    Chocolates it is!

njee20
    Free Member

Di2.

ransos
    Free Member

Functionally, I noticed no difference between 9 and 10 speed ultegra rear mechs. Both using the same block, chain and shifters.

shermer75
    Free Member

Check your jockey wheels, they may need replacing…

cp

Iv just totally run out of bike stuff to buy!

There’s always bike stuff to buy. You’re not trying hard enough 😉

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Fair enough. I always thought a 10 speed chain was slightly narrower so mechs had (admittedly very slight) discrepancy in cage width between 9 and 10 speed. 10 speed mech will work slightly better once indexed I think.

Besides, your bike will look better with matching collars and cuffs, so to speak

andyg68

I’m running 10speed 105 mechs and chainset but with 9speed cassette, chain and Tiagra 9spd shifters. Done 18,000 miles on it (ok on the third rear mech but that’s another story).
    Bottomline – it works.

ndthornton
    Free Member

10 spd MTB stuff is incompatible with 9 speed due to different cable pull ratios. Not so road bike stuff. As you say i’m sure there are minor differences to do with cage width etc – which is what I was asking about really. To be honest I think most of it is for marketing purposes only.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Is there any difference between a 105 9 speed and 10 speed rear mech?’ is closed to new replies.