Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Is there a secret rule –
  • DT78
    Free Member

that the more you spend on a bike the less you will actually use it??

was thinking about my well loved nomad, which has basically had two outings since I came back from morzine in late July….

whereas the second hand £500 hardtail is still being used about twice a week…..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

In some cases I suspect you're right. I've mostly been downgarding my bikes this year (Yeti to Pitch, Roadrat to Carerra, Hope to Deore on the Inbred) and I'm certainly not riding any less, or more importantly, enjoying it any less.
    And I don't feel guilty about having a cheap bike like the Pitch lying around doing nothing, like I did with the Yeti.

thomthumb
    Free Member

yep. my £900 frame is hanging on the wall – having been replaced with a £50 ebay purchase!

trail_rat
    Free Member

for sure – got a 3 grand carbon hardtail – can count the ammount of times i have ridden it on my fingers and toes despite having had it for nearly a year – although in terms of hours ridden its probably up there with my road bike(which gets ridden nearly every sat and sunday) …due to length of the rides/races i do on it.

where as my SS which is a 450 quid GF rig that gets ridden 4-5 times a week and my 200 quid spesh singlecross does 20k every day !

ctznsmith
    Free Member

I was going to say yes, but the real reason I am riding my cheap bike over the 'expensive' one is more location than cost.

The cheap one is easily accesible outside whilst the more expensive one is in the basement with the wheels off which doesn't encourage me to drag it out and ride it.

(Hopefully the new house will change that)

mmb
    Free Member

hi-fi(fisher)not used in more than six months now,have gone back to chameleon,full suss not really needed in my area (dorset coast).

those "hills" in the background are as high as it gets around here(200m).

epicsteve
    Free Member

In my case it seems to be my more expensive bikes that get the most use, possibly because they're also lighter than the other bikes.

druidh
    Free Member

I don't have any non-expensive bikes……

njee20
    Free Member

Is that not due to people having 'best' bikes vs 'everyday' bikes. The one I rode most, my Spesh Allez, gets used more than any other, and is the cheapest full sized bike I've owned! It's also the nastiest to ride, and I thoroughly enjoy the time I spend on my more expensive ones.

ampthill

I don't have an expensive bike

DezB
    Free Member

My cheap road bike and free hack bike get use more than my other bikes, not because of their value, just because I get more time to ride to work (road bike) and take the dog out (hack) than I do to go proper riding.

hora
    Free Member

I've just sold my £170 Northface jacket for a £30 German Army gore tex jacket that I take EVERYWHERE. Reason? I didnt want to fall/damage/rip the expensive one- just didnt feel comfortable.

Same with expensive bikes- you've got to understand- they are going to get scratched though. Stop thinking of their resale value 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Riding my cheap HT over the winter, to keep my FS "nice"

tomhughes46

Often the Iron Horse stays at home whilst I ride the 2000 Rockhopper, it's the thought of replacing all those bearings and the fact my huge battery pack won't fit on the IH frame 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

Nope Hora, for me at least not using the expensive one isn't really related to wanting to keep it nice, possible exception is race bikes, but that's not about resale, it's about keeping lightweight short-life kit for when it's really needed.

I use my Allez because I ride to work on it, if I rode in on my Madone I suggest I'd be shopping for an Allez and a stronger lock reasonably quickly!

andrewh
    Free Member

Five grand race bike very rarely used, less than 20 times last year. Cheapo steel SS used 5-6 times a week. As njee says this is to do with saving the nice stuff for when I really need it as I can't afford to be wrecking bits on training rides and some of it is a triffle fragile.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Is there a secret rule –’ is closed to new replies.