Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Is there a more rubbish bit of design than…
  • Harry_the_Spider

After a bit of investigation… all of the Rexel ones in the office are broken. However, non of the Ofrex ones are as their plasticy bit is thicker and is made from a less brittle material.

In the interest of science I will see from what height I have to drop a fully laden lever arch file (2 hole) on an Ofrex one to break it.

nickc

I can testify that Dualit toasters do indeed last an age, but in a clear case of middle class angst, I find the bread from the bread maker is too tall for the slot, so you have to manually turn it over mid toast…

Oh the humanity etc etc.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Never found that I break the plastic guides, are you lot mental? Do you throw your punches around? Or are you just ham fisted and ram them back in incorrectly?

mogrim

I wouldn't know about the ones in this office, I always get the secretary to do the filing.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I wouldn't know about the ones in this office, I always get the secretary to do the filing.

I would, but under the NDA and security rules, I have to file and secure all the paperwork I'm dealing with… 😉

tron
    Free Member

And Brabantia are piss takers.

They are now. Back in the day you could get a pedal bin for £25 or so from them. They also briefly sold the best car windscreen scrapers ever.

mefty
    Free Member

Stonor – I am a bit disappointed in you, as a self confessed fettler, I assumed you would be a bodger too – our pedal bin broke after six months – but duct tape sorted it perfectly.

Stoner
    Free Member

there's rarely enough substantial material on el-cheapo bins to work with. You end up with something like Trigger's broom 😉

I am using the two bin inserts as recycling sorting bins though 😉

Saving the planet, one organic houmous tub at a time.

midlifecrashes

I'll tell you a worse design than that, our green wheelie bin. What fckuwit designs a wheelie made for sitting outside eating cats and other garden rubbish with a concave lid, so every time you move the sodding thing or lift the lid you get a soaking! Nuts.

Stoner
    Free Member

Always strike a match away from the body….? 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

four-slice toasters – gone through 3 at £40 a go in the last 10 years.

Christ, what do you do with them? Only time I ever broke a toaster EVER in my whole 35 years of life was when I did a crumpet in a mate's toaster and a bit of sticky dough got stuck in it and caught fire, melting the wire. I got some more wire and fixed it. And those were all £10 jobs.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheapo thermocouples go on one side of the toaster.

Harry_the_Spider

While we are on toasters…

Why do both slots in my toaster “energise” when I’m only using one of them eh? Crap design THAT’S WHY!

Surely the technology exists for some sort of bread sensor thus only warming up an occupied orifice.

Saving the planet on slice of Hovis Granary at a time.

molgrips
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking Dualit toasters don't even pop up when the toast is done, just ring a bell?

D0NK

Thread of the week so far.

This is the first time I've ever seen a broken guide on a hole punch.
    Must be the user.

I see what you did there 🙂

Always strike a match away from the body….?

bit difficult to move a full bin without tipping it towards you.

Harry_the_Spider

Am I right in thinking Dualit toasters don't even pop up when the toast is done, just ring a bell?

The Bastards.

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

I find that quite a few toasters just aren't deep enough (or wide enough, if the bread is slotted in sideways) to accomodate Warburtons extra thick white toasty bread.

This is an outrage. I end up with half an inch of normal untoasted bread.

philconsequence
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member

The Bastards.

the only thing to make me laugh out loud on the internet in months.

Stoner
    Free Member

Its disgusting. At £150 a pop I expect there to be a little flame-retardent midget in there with a stopwatch and a lever.

psling
    Free Member

Yes, urinals with no grab handle 😉

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

AHAHAHA! 😀

"Is there a more rubbish bit of design than…"

…a mountain bike with only one gear.

mefty
    Free Member

If your's only has a severed limb you are lucky, I dropped my WH Smith one and the handle has split, duct tape and superglue have been applied but the prognosis is not hopeful.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Actually no, mine doesn't pop up, or ring a bell – it just sits there indignantly expecting you to remove the bread. It's actually a bit annoying, but it does make some lovely toast!

molgrips
    Free Member

So you have to stand there with a stopwatch? I'd seriously expect more for 150 notes!

xcgb
    Free Member

STW in expensive but annoying toaster shocker!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Toast equivalent of singlespeed.

But the toast is so much more.. REAL.. from a Dualit toaster. When you have to stand there and time it, you can really taste the effort that's gone into it.

Cougar

I end up with half an inch of normal untoasted bread.

Cut half an inch off the top first, put them in sideways rather than lengthways, gives you something to munch on whilst you're waiting for the toast.

miketually
    Free Member

I find that quite a few toasters just aren't deep enough (or wide enough, if the bread is slotted in sideways) to accomodate Warburtons extra thick white toasty bread.

This is an outrage. I end up with half an inch of normal untoasted bread.

After suffering that, we measured a slice of bread before we went toaster shopping for its replacement.

U31
    Free Member

+ 1 for the Hayes bleed plugs.
    Had an amazing stack coming down from Cragg Quarry when thw front one popped out and pissed out all the fluid. Which was nice.

D0NK

After suffering that, we measured a slice of bread before we went toaster shopping for its replacement.

the 1/2" of untoasted bread is a ball ache, but shopping for toasters with a ruler?* Just buy a cheap ass 2slot 4 slicer and put your bread in sideways. Oh and if you think £150 toaster makes better toast just preheat your cheap ass toaster before you put the bread in. It's heat applied to bread not rocket science or magic.

🙂

*actually thats probably something I'd do just to embarrass the Mrs.

ononeorange

You could put the bread in normal ways but turn the toaster on its side. That may be less confusing.

xcgb
    Free Member

Its like Mr Bean taking his fish along to buy a new pan!

miketually
    Free Member

the 1/2" of untoasted bread is a ball ache, but shopping for toasters with a ruler?* Just buy a cheap ass 2slot 4 slicer and put your bread in sideways.

I think we tore a bit of junk mail to the right length and took that. Then bought a cheap 2 slice toaster with slots long enough for the bread.

sc-xc

PSA: those holes that you punch out of paper are called chads

Aren't the holes just called holes? the circular discs of paper that collect in the bottom of the hole punch would be the chads.

Who has paper in the office anyway? Get a computer!

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Is there a more rubbish bit of design than…’ is closed to new replies.