Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Is there a market for……
  • niallmb
    Free Member

GoPro hire

The back story:
    We’ve just finished a contract for a client and as part of the job, we did a lot of filming on HD Hero 2’s. Due to the quantity of filming involved and the fact were on the road, we purchased 15 of them.

The likelyhood of us using them again any time soon is low (none of the jobs in the diary for this year would suit them)

So my options are

1- Sell them all.

2- Keep them and kit my bike out with a full 360 view rig.!!

3- Start renting them out with the rest of our rental stock. They’re not really the sort of thing our regular clients would want but what I wonder is, could there be a market for week long hires of the cameras with mounts etc. for people going off on sport related holidays. Could be an interesting diversification for us.

What do ya reckon? Would you rent a goPro if the price was right or are they cheap enough that you’d just buy one if you wanted one?

MrNutt
    Free Member

Keep them and kit my bike out with a full 360 view rig

matrixesque freeride spectacular?

project
    Free Member

Rental, then try it out and then buy a new one, sounds like a good idea.

You been filming eddie stobart trucks and trailers, or Top Gear.They both use them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Woody
    Free Member

Could well be a market for that depending on the price.

Has to be weighed up against the cost of buying something cheaper eg. HD170 which can be picked up new for +/-£135

iDave
    Free Member

Do you work near Northwich??

niallmb
    Free Member

Project – not quite!!!! We were on tour with a band at the end of last year and they were hidden all over stage/the venue/ attached to the end of guitars etc. Aim is to provide it all as extras on an upcoming DVD/Video download

grantway
    Free Member

Would be Probably better done at the trail centre to be honest
    Has the deposit would have to cover the lose or damage of the unit
    plus you would have to carry a lot of spares including cases etc.

theflatboy
    Free Member

how much do you want for one of them?

niallmb
    Free Member

idave- Up in the Bradford/Leeds area

Woody – I reckon we’d probably be looking at £50/week plus £100 deposit. Too much?

niallmb
    Free Member

theflatboy – Not sure as yet. Reality is we’d probably look to shift them as a batch to another production company, but if we go down the sales route, I’ll see what we could work out

Liftman

Thebikechain started renting out one recently, ask them if its working out for them

theflatboy
    Free Member

nice one, let me know!

meehaja
    Free Member

I’d rent one. I have a few uses in mind, but couldn’t justify buying one.

Drac

I’d say as there’s a few companies already do rent them out.

niallmb
    Free Member

Good to hear meehaja. What do you reckon to the pricing?

Current thought is £50 per week plus £100 deposit. This would work on the basis of camera with case 32GB card (could be purchased or returned dependant on client needs), LCD BacPac, Battery BacPac and cables etc.

andrewh
    Free Member

If you do end up selling I’d take one (only one mind)

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I had this idea last year, and instantly though “I’ll be a millionaire!!” Rushed home to google it, and it is actually already possible to rent a go pro. Same way you can rent pretty much any camera equipment you can think of. There did seem a lack of an “extreme sport” style website. It’s the insurance that I fell down on. Couldn’t be bothered to get a quote and work out how much I would have to charge per week/day etc to see if it was possible to be competitive. The other websites offering this also offer a very wide range of camera equipment so I would imagine their insurance quote will be much cheaper than you with only 15 cameras. But who knows.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I read the first sentence and immediately thought “yes”. I’ve thought this myself many times. I can’t bring myself to spend that kind of money for one myself, but paying a few quid for holiday rental seems a great idea to me

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I’m interested in buying one if you decide to sell them.

andyl
    Free Member

how much are they worth because if it is more than £150 then they might all go missing on the trails!

niallmb
    Free Member

andyl – they are worth more than that but at the same time, we hire out cameras worth 10’s of thousands currently and have only had one problem. We do however have insurance which would cover such an instance and a good enough network of contacts that if someone did decide to nick one, they’d struggle to hire anything camera related in the UK again.

We have had an instance of “oops, it went missing” from a client but they returned it a week later when they found that every other hire company they tried to hire from had their details on file. Not a foolproof method but we have found in the past that if the deposit is too high, no-one hires.

Woody
    Free Member

Woody – I reckon we’d probably be looking at £50/week plus £100 deposit.

Pretty much what I would have expected but unless you can hire out locally you would have to add on insured postage + insurance, SD card etc, which makes it a lot less attractive to potential short term hirers.

I think you should just get shot of them cheaply and quickly, as presumably the purchase cost was built into the contract, and save yourself a lot of hassle.

Email in profile 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How much are they new? £50 a week sounds a lot to me – are they not only a couple of hundred new?

JoeG
    Free Member

I think that a rental business would only be profitable at a bigtime riding destination where there would be a high turnover of customers. Ray’s Indoor MTB rents them by the day http://www.raysmtb.com/cle/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=83

wrightyson
    Free Member

I also think £50’s a bit steep unless that included you sending them out and then a pre paid postage back. Off to Wales this weekend and would love to have one to take with me/us because I’m sure I’d be getting my money back due to the high probability of a few “£250 moments” 😆
    If they hired them at the trail head as there’s probably gonna be six of us it would be good to all chip in for one on the day also! Just one question, how easy to set up and use? Would you get good footage on your first ever attempt with one?
    Oh I would also buy one if you sell them on!

iain1775
    Free Member

I’ll buy one if you do sell
    How much for all 15?

infidel
    Free Member

I’d take one off your hands too

ojom
    Free Member

We do this. £10 for Friday pick up to Monday return.

32gb card supplied and no deposit.

If it goes missing, Kirkwood our trained Black Lab is starved for a day and released with a scent trail…

One rule, you break you pay. Easy. oh and no bedroom use too!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

another potential buyer here too (for the right price…!)

if you do rent them out, £50 for the week would be reasonable, i reckon. if you need a franchise in morzine, lemme know 😉

niallmb
    Free Member

well, it turns out the decision has kind of been made. I woke up this morning to an email from a production company saying that they’d heard we had some and could they take them off our hands for X pounds (about 80% of original outlay). Figure I’d be stupid not to.

Sorry to all those who were after one but obviously, its better for me to shift the whole batch than the odd one or two here and there.

Thanks for all the input and who knows, maybe theres some ideas in this for someone else.

FuzzyWuzzy

£50 a week seems way too high to me, I’d have thought £25 tops but good job on selling them all 😉

andrewh
    Free Member

oh and no bedroom use too!

Have I misunderstood ‘helmet-mounted camera’?

alpin
    Free Member

POV

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Is there a market for……’ is closed to new replies.