Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Is there a knack to setting up a front mech???
  • kwack
    Free Member

So after replacing all the barings on my 04 Enduro. For some reaon I cant get teh front mech to change into teh small cog.

The rear mech is all fine but I think I have a mental block when it comes to setting up a front mech. I changed the cable, adjusted teh screws, but for whatever reason it wont go onto teh small cog. It moves ok between teh other two.

The front cage doesnt move across enough to push the chaoin down.

Is there a simple guide to fit a mech or any ideas

Cheers

KWack

geoffj

Cable too tight? Release it completely and then set the L screw. Attach cable and check it's ok before changing up and then setting the H screw.

andywarner
    Free Member

i know this sounds stupid and obvious but have checked the angle when you're looking down from the seat post?

kwack
    Free Member

I cant work out which screw is which tbh now.

It is a mech for an 04 enduro – cable comes from underneath teh BB and the cage is above the clamp

I have spent the past 2 hours doing this nd ready to send it into orbit

aaaahhhhh

I think I see the problem.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Lol @ STR, I also spotted it 😉

kwack
    Free Member

Give us a clue then. It cant be the wrong mech as it has been on there for ages. Maybe I have explained it incorrectly apart from the whcih screw is which???

smiffy

The Shimano instructions, downloadable from the web are bob-on.

kwack
    Free Member

Trawling google – I found an article with similar problems – it possibly because I have an XT mech that is a dual pull and I cant seem to reach the bolt that holds the cable in as it butts up against the frame.

Mech needs to be a bottom pull BUT not dual pull

Any ideas

Kwack

Gribs

I've got a slx top swing dual pull one on my 04 enduro that works fine. Just make sure that the cable is threaded through the mech correctly as in needs to go over the cam to make it work properly rather than just being feed in straight from the bottom.

I also had to attach the cable with the mech rotated round so I could get at the cable bolt before setting it in the right place.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Is there a knack to setting up a front mech???’ is closed to new replies.