Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Is there a doctor in the house?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Did 2 rides weekend before last, both contained the ususal recipie of exhaustion, dehydration, bleeding, dirty wounds, dirty fingers, eating jelly babies with dirty fingers, camelpack water, etc. In otherwords, nothing unusual.

However for the last 7 days I've been on the verge of vomiting constantly. Monday/tueaday were bad, fireing out of both ends, and really bad stomach cramps. Wed/Thurs not too bad, went into work on Thurs. Friday – Back to being sick. Saturday, Sunday everything ok. Today, I just want to curl up and die.

I've no appetite although I can eat and keep it down, just doesn't feel like its going to stay that way.

Do I just have a stomach bug, or have I ingested soemthing that the Doc's should know about? The only thing I've done that the missus hasn't is the riding, and she's fine, so its not in the food and its not contagious.

Edit: ohh and I have breath and guts that can clear a room at 100 paces.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Is there a doctor in the house?

They're in the Doctors, and that's where you should be.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If I'm this crap tomorow I'll go, at work today as I felt guilty as I'm not contagious, just fekin miseable (and taking an above average number of toilet breaks).

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

norovirus?

wwaswas

I felt guilty as I'm not contagious

you think.

Drac

Best way to settle vomiting and diarrhoea bug is not to eat and starve for 24 hours with small amounts of water often.

Oh and D+V is very contagious hence why health workers are told to stay at home 24 hours after last barf or squit.

ratherbeintobago

Best way to settle vomiting and diarrhoea bug is not to eat and starve for 24 hours with small amounts of water often.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo. Bad plan – that's how you end up in hospital on IV fluids.

Dioralyte good to maintain fluid/electrolytes, even if you don't feel like eating. Not loperamide as the badness is better in than out.

And it's off work for 48h after resolution of symptoms. You will not be thanked for giving your colleagues D&V.

Andy

Tiger6791

This will classed as cheating for tomorrow's weigh in on the 10kg 10 weeks thing BTW 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

norovirus

When I had it it was 2 days of shot blasting the toilet then recovery so do not think it would be that. Plus once you have had it you are immune for the following 6 months from re-infection.

Drac

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo. Bad plan – that's how you end up in hospital on IV fluids

If you can explain please how taking fluids often dehydrates you I'll contact our clinical department with your findings.

ratherbeintobago

It's not the fluids that are the problem. It's the lack of electrolytes – which is why I think the starvation thing is a bad plan.

Andy

wwaswas

ratherbeintobago – that is not an issue with adults over a short period – you can drink only water for 24/48 hours and not end up in a&e.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

ratherbeintobago, quit now Drac is a Paramedic.

Drac

He's got to really drink gallons for that to happen given he had been eating. It's 24 hours his body can cope easily but yes an electrolyte mix wouldn't do any harm. But no need for the blind panic.

hora
    Free Member

Erm never ever touch food with your fingers if you don't wash your gloves after every ride.

Your fingers have been on your cock, in dirt, sometimes a trail poo etc etc etc. Then there is taking off and putting on wheels that have sheep poo, cow poo, dog poo etc.

See where I'm coming from?

ratherbeintobago

you can drink only water for 24/48 hours and not end up in a&e.

You can, and you are absolutely right it's more of an issue with kids but I put it to you that when you're losing a huge electrolyte load it's maybe not the best plan to be taking in water only.

Andy

Jamie
    Free Member

See where I'm coming from?

I think so. You're telling us you touch a lot of poo and a bit of cock?

Drac

Ratherbe read his post again.

goog
    Free Member

pregnant ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That explains why I've been not eating much for a few days, feeling better then eating deacently and feeling crap………

Hora, sound advice, but no one washes their hands on a bike ride before reaching for the camelback hose, jelly babies etc, its just not feasible, and the grounds so dry right now I probably inhaled 50x more than i ingested off my fingers!

DrP

Sounds like an infectious gastroenteritis (likely viral). Agree with (most) of the sentiments above – not to worry about too much food, but get fluid in (with or without diaralite) little and often…
    If you're really shot, and it carries on for more than 72hrs, or it's bloody poo, i'd visit the doc for a stool sample and to check you're not becoming dehydrated…..

DrP

elaineanne
    Free Member

my hubby has had similar problems of tight cramps that can last up to 4 days or so…. then a month later he got it again…. he was showing all the sign of I.B.S ….. weather you are just starting with this horrible stomach problems… they are horrid these cramps especially at 2am in the morning .. womder wether there is a bad stomach bug going around…keep an eye out for it coming back in another month…. grrrr…. but yeah lack of appetite…eat smaller portions and healthy foods while you are feeling like this…

hora
    Free Member

Agree however I tend to eat food by using the wrap to 'tease' the food into my mouth (or the wrapper on Malt loaf to manipulate the (sliced) loaf piece by piece.

Trust me- my gloves are MINGING – along with the grips. How often do you wash the grips? Never.

redthunder
    Free Member

Did you eat a baby robin ?

or drink from a PET plastic bottle 😉

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Probably going to be something interesting like campylobacter. Forget norovirus. You'll have acquired it from some animal shit you've ingested whilst riding.

Whatever it is, it will have been or will be infectious at some point in its cycle.

Oral fluids little & often (dioralyte or rehydrate if you can). Food not essential. Dehydration in 48-72 hours if insufficient fluids, starvation is a 2-3 week problem.

Drac

ratherbeintobago, quit now Drac is a Paramedic.

IIRC he's an anaesthetist so his fluid balance knowledge is a little above mine some what. However, I still stand that 24 hours of just fluids is going to have little effect on someone who has been eating recently.

julianwilson
    Free Member

[edit] oh, drac beat me to it ^^.

molgrips
    Free Member

I had campylobacter. The docs wanted a sample to analyse, asking questions about where I'd been, but I was unable to give them any interesting leads. I could well have picked it up biking tho.

However – for about 5 days there was absolutely NO WAY in hell I was going to work… just bad sh*ts all the time. I could lie still in bed or on the sofa and feel ok, but if I moved I started to feel seriously crappy, and any water drunk came out the other end pretty quickly.

Btw, diaoralyte is the same as biking energy drink with electrolyte eg SIS or Torq, except it tastes far worse.

Drac

He's slightly more qualified than a Dr too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Would eating chilli's help, might burn the fekker out?

Are baby robins now carcinogenic?

DrP

He's slightly more qualified than a Dr too…

Well, that depends on several things…(post grad exams mainly, but I expect they're working towards/have the FRCA)

DrP BM MRCP….. 😉

hora
    Free Member

I think I have the rank here.

Dr Horacek MCRAP Q.ak

Drac

True DrP didn't mean to belittle I respect all medical professionals.

IIRC he has the FRCA which is why I was careful with argument, I'd soon be put into place. 😆

julianwilson
    Free Member

errr, I'll be in the sluice then….

(actually these days I'll more likely be found in an armchair sporting elbow patches and cords, listening to families complain about each other.)

redthunder
    Free Member

@thisisnotaspoon

Baby Robins will defo give you cancer…it was in the Daily Wail.

I stopped eating them ages ago anyway… only eat wrens now :-), baby wrens of course.

ratherbeintobago

Thank you all.

Do indeed have the FRCA.

Also having a bad day due to UST 'issues' (taken me 4h to get tyres on properly due to incompetence – fortunately know far more about the gassing than about tubeless tyres) which is the excuse I'm sticking to for not having read the thread properly.

I shall now go & crawl back under my rock 😛

Andy

Drac

No worries easy done and had he been shitting for 7 days you'd been right but of course he'd known about by now I'd of thought.

DrP

4 hours – you're halfway there….!
    I almost lost it with a pair of high roller DH tyres on my 5.1 rims! Finally got them on and seated, but boy was I red in the face!!

DrP

ratherbeintobago

4 hours – you're halfway there….!

Literally – still have to do the front one 😛

Andy

bighendo
    Free Member

Get your Crypto here…..
    …i cant believe i`m the only one to have had a dose of Crypto.
    if there are sheep or cattle in the vicinity
    and, especially if its wet….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Is there a doctor in the house?’ is closed to new replies.