Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Is there a cheaper alternative (that works) to S and S couplings?
  • Dyffers
    Free Member

As part of my job I spend time in Scotland, for a week or two at a time.

I remember reading this on the On One site a couple of years ago about someone putting S and S couplings in their Inbred frame and thinking that would be great. I parked that idea at the time because of the ~£500 price tag.

I’m currently sitting in Scotland again having been up here for a week of mostly sunny dry autumn weather wishing I had my bike with me, and wondering if there are any cheaper alternatives to S and S couplings?

My donor frames would be a steel Inbred or a Singular Swift and I’d only get a few weeks use a year, so I’m still not convinced I can justify the S and S cost.

Anybody had any alternatives fitted, or even seen any alternatives?

bencooper
    Free Member

None that works as well – there was a Chinese rip-off for a while, but they moved which was unnerving. If it’s only for commuting and suchlike, see if you can find a Dahon frame – the Cadenza isn’t bad if you make sure the clamps stay tight. But for off-road I wouldn’t trust anything else.

But then I would say that 🙂

wwaswas

Keep a bike up there?

Dyffers
    Free Member

Call me a traditionalist, but I don’t fancy that much.

But for off-road I wouldn’t trust anything else.

Thanks Ben. I expected that would be the case. It would be for Scottish trails rather than pootling along a road. I understand you’ve got a vested interest but that also means I value your opinion.

Keep a bike up there?

I’ve thought about this quite a lot. I never went for it partly because I’m not always working in the same place but mostly because for the cost of the parts to build something I’m willing to ride (~£500 maybe), I couldn’t leave it secure. Chances are small but not insignificant it would get moved / damaged whilst in storage (at work).

With the S and S couplings I could bring a nicer bike up when I needed it.

Doesn’t sound like there are many other options though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Is there a cheaper alternative (that works) to S and S couplings?’ is closed to new replies.