Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Is the SKY package a no-brainer deal…or is there going to be a catch?
  • rockhopper70

So, at the moment I have top-up tv DTR recorder system for £12/month, AOL Unlimited Broadband for £10/month and BT “free evening and weekend calls” for £16/month.
    It appears (and correct me if I am wrong) that I can gat all that for £20 from SKY. Better channel choice presumably, free wireless router, SKY+ recording box and £50 of M&S vouchers thrown in.
    Is this too good to be true?
    I suspect that the limiter may be the measured download but I’m not sure if what is included as usage is more or less than I need.
    Anyone else on that package?

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

bt line rental on top too? thats what £17 now?

jon1973
    Free Member

I think you still need a BT land line, but I could be wrong.

rockhopper70

Yes. The BT line rental will be needed but that’s needed with SKY or BT so neither an extra or saved cost if I swap.

slartybartfast
    Free Member

I don’t pay BT line rental with my sky package.

kimbers

the only catch i can see is that this man owns a little bit of your soul

MartynS

the catch is you end up with Sky products…

rockhopper70

less cryptic responses please……

the other option is to go for the BT broadband which appears to be £16/month with free evening and weekend calls. Same as I am paying for the calls only!

jon1973
    Free Member

I don’t pay BT line rental with my sky package.

It’s required for the internet part of the package I think, but not if you only want the TV.

disco_stu
    Free Member

i think on that package you get a monthly limit of 2gb, unlimited is another £7.50 a month

mikewsmith
    Free Member

there is nothing on the other 300 channels worth watching

mereditp
    Free Member

The basic combi deal is I think for just 2gb, and if you go over then they give you one warning then the next month it happens they bump you up to the next payment/use level.

You will also get the xbox (possibly ps3 too?) app, whereby you cant watch content on your console in the other room while the missus watches tv. The catch there is it uses a lot of bandwidth, which is how I ended up on the higher package – it’s not that much more but it may be a deal breaker to you.

rockhopper70

content on your console

what’s this then…I have a wii.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

One of the few real powers we have as individuals is to decide where our hard earned goes and I would rather pay double than have it go to anything related to Rupert Murdoch.

aP
    Free Member

Kimbers +1

futuresorange
    Free Member

£20 for sky + BT line rental = a couple of pounds cheaper than what you pay at the moment but you sacrifice your unlimited internet. I wouldn’t.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Wev’e just been offered 12 months at 1/2 price after f**king them off a while ago. My mrs wants the movies & some other crap & she’s decided that 12 months at £17.50 a month is ok.
    I think Sky is sh!te & as it would be in my name, I won’t be accepting the offer.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Using the power of tinternets, I can watch loads of stuff that’s on Sky pay channels, such as live footy.

Might not be quite HD quality, but it saves me giving money to Murdoch. And morally preferable.

Cougar

‘s what I did. I went from ADSL to ADSL + Sky TV for a net increase of £2/month.

If you’re going to do it, sign up through http://www.topcashback.co.uk – should net you between £25 and £100 cashback depending what you sign up to. (Link contains my referrer ID, I’ll get a couple of quid if you sign up to topcashback using it – if this offends you, just go to the site directly).

You’ll need line rental for the ADSL side, but you can choose to pay this to BT or to Sky (makes little odds either way, far as I can tell)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The £20 a month thing is 2gb download as mentioned above.

Apparently I use between 1.5gb to 4gb per month, and I do not download music, vides, etc etc so no where near enough. I cant recall what the charges were for going over, but it was more than paying for the higher package.

So a crap deal really.

FG
    Free Member

It’s required for the internet part of the package I think, but not if you only want the TV.

Phone line is required for Sky box updates as well.

I think the £20 deal is a foot in the door, as they’ll then try to get you on movies/sports/higher internet/HD which all cost a lot more.

ahwiles
    Free Member

the biggest problem is that you’ll be giving even more of your money to Rupert Murdoch.

iain1775
    Free Member

You dont need BT line rental – I pay my line rental to Sky I have no bills from BT at all
    It still works out cheaper as I think if you do that you get another £5 off the broadband cost, so the basic package is free
    13 months ago now Sky called offering me a free upgrade for 6 months to the next BBand package up, thus removing the 2gb limit
    Its still there, they havent charged me for it in over a year

every few months I phone up and threaten to cancel, I normally walk away with free TV for 6 months, or Sky Sports free for 6 months or some similar sweetener. I have no intention of cancelling, but its a fun game to play with them

RustyMac

Get your line rental through Sky as well for an additional £11/ month or something. My girlfriend has the same package and it has work out really well. She needed the line connected and Sky did this as well but for only £50-60 instead of BT @ £120 ish.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

In our apartment we have sky+ but can’t record two channels at the same time as we only have one feed coming in. Sky didn’t tell us at the time my girlfriend upgraded. We complained and got £150 credit back. Sky call her quite often trying to sell different packages but otherwise the service has been ok but not outstanding.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Also the ‘free’ broadband is not available in all areas, and they will charge you £17.50 per month, I know they keep on phoning me up telling me about the ‘free’ broadband.

Cougar

The “free” ADSL is their LLU offering, which isn’t installed at all exchanges. If you’re unlucky you’ll have to get ‘Connect’ or whatever they’re calling it this week, which is your £17.50 there and is just BT Wholesale resold, like everyone else.

go to http://www.samknows.com to see if you’re covered.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Is the SKY package a no-brainer deal…or is there going to be a catch?’ is closed to new replies.