Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Is the Keilder 100 possible on a cyclocross bike?
  • scotabroad

Sorry if this is total nonsense, but having never done the Keilder 100, and having never owned a cyclocross bike.

a) would it be possible?

b) would there be any advantage?

jonb
    Free Member

Is it allowed in the rules?
    It would be possible, if one (miketually) can do it rigid singlespeed you could do it on a cyclocross.
    It may be a bit quicker but no more so than a rigid 29er.

sockpuppet

a) possible, sure. you can ride just about anything, on just about anything. i suspect it might be quite unpleasant though, even if allowed in the rules

b) advantage? not IMO.

but then who knows what this year' course will be like.

TooTall
    Free Member

Knowing that part of the world, I think 100 miles on fairly skinny tyres on those surfaces would age your joints (and yer ricker) by about 20 years.

paul4stones

Have you not got a mountainbike?

boxelder

…and have you entered, because entries are closed.

charlierevell
    Free Member

They were banned in the rules last year… had to have 26" wheels.

postierich
    Free Member

They were banned in the rules last year… had to have 26" wheels

Yay!

afmell
    Free Member

So where is the 26" wheel rule listed?? – I was planning on using a 29er (obviously that's only of I can't master the unicycle by September 😀 )

Ti29er
    Free Member

Strange then that men's the winner rode a 29er!

I think maybe 20% of the riders were on 29ers, myself included, in fact, I'd go so far as to say I've never seen such a concentration of 29ers in one race as at the Kielder 100.

Besides which, it's a very rough course in parts plus some of the trails are Red graded so I think you'd be well advised to not even contemplate it.

Some peolpe, eh…….?

scotabroad

Have you not got a mountainbike?

yes I do but I am choosing my c2w bike at the moment and wondered if it might be a viable option, I will forget it after the posts above.

warton
    Free Member

Yeah, I was amazed at the amount of 29s there last year. Are entries closed? so thats the full 700 filled 4 months before the race? amazing! must step up training, done a few 6 hour+ rides already, but need to up that to 8hours over the next 2 months

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

There were a few folk did it on CX bikes last year. Including the winner.

Fine on the fire roads, crap everywhere else.

warton
    Free Member

There were a few folk did it on CX bikes last year. Including the winner.

No there wasn't!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I came 63rd on a spacehopper.

Can you prove I didn't? Eh?

fontmoss
    Free Member

there seems to be a fair amount of confusion/bs about what was allowed/actually there….

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Yes there were. Loads of inappropriate bikes with the wrong size wheels.

monksie
    Free Member

I'm just playing devils advocate but what would stop a person from riding what ever bike they liked? Disqualification? I can't see how that would matter unless you were aiming for a top three finish.
    I can't imagine a marshall on a qaud bike would knock you off and nick your seatpost and saddle.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Fine on the fire roads, crap everywhere else.

and yet the winner rode one. so not too 'crap' then?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Well, since the route was almost all fireroad, I'd say yes.

uplink
    Free Member

There doesn't appear to be any rules regarding bikes on their site just the registration process & minimum kit requirement

Fire up the KTM 😀

warton
    Free Member

The winner rode a 29er, not a cyclocross bike.

here he is winning:
    NOT a CycloCross bike

monksie
    Free Member

Shit! They look like 39" wheels, forget 29"
    There's something wrong with that picture.
    I've just looked at it again. The front wheel is bigger than him!

njee20
    Free Member

The winner wasn't on a cross bike, where's that come from?

terrahawk
    Free Member

someone doesn't understand the difference between the 2

tracknicko
    Free Member

might as well be a CX bike. goppingly ugly big wheeled thing that it is.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

They're esentially the same. Big wheels, crap offroad.

terrahawk
    Free Member

very, very different. crap offroad? You've obviously not ridden one then.

monksie
    Free Member

"Big wheels, crap offroad"

I beg to differ.

warton
    Free Member

They're esentially the same. Big wheels, crap offroad.

I hope this is a joke 🙄

Great example of someone being proved wrong and then coming out with
    "Its all bollox anyway"

molgrips
    Free Member

Different geometry, different tyres, different riding position, different gears, different brakes, different bars, different frame construction and one has suspension.

Other than that, exactly the same.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I remember reading the rules last year and it said no CX bikes, mountain bikes only. Trying to find a link, but not being very succesful.

Guess it's an insurance thing. Of course, it could have changed for this year.

miketually
    Free Member

It's MTBs only, but I'm sure maybe you could ride a 29er with relatively skinny tyres and niche handlbars?

There was nothing majorly technical, so I'm sure it'd be doable on a cx bike. You'll be knocked to bits though, so would be better off on a MTB.

Rigid 29er would be/will be/is my choice.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Rigid 29er would be/will be/is my choice.

will you have 'it' by then?

miketually
    Free Member

will you have 'it' by then?

No idea. I have a saddle 🙂

Ti29er
    Free Member

I rode and photographed the event & I think there was a mention on the original web site stating no CX bikes, but if it's no longer there; us old hands :roll:, we know what the course is like, so knock yourself out! 😉

I'd email Paul or Sara just in case; no need to travel all that way to be ruled out on the start line.

I can tell you that Amy Baron Hall, the ladies SS winner (rigid) couldn't hold her bubbly on the podium such was the pounding her hands, wrists, arms and shoulders received.

miketually
    Free Member

I can tell you that Amy Baron Hall, the ladies SS winner (rigid) couldn't hold her bubbly on the podium such was the pounding her hands, wrists, arms and shoulders received.

I managed to keep hold of my beer 🙂

paul4stones

You were going more slowly Mike 🙂

When I said "Have you not got a mountainbike?" I just mean it's a mountainbike race so why not ride a mountainbike? Of course you could ride anything that the rules don't specifically exclude but what's the point of riding a BMX or my son's 20" wheeled cast off MTB when I have two perfectly good mountainbikes (one a 29er, which I rode last year) which I would take out in preference?

As for getting a CX bike on a C2W scheme – excellent idea, I love mine and used it in a CX race where mountainbikes are banned (guess which one, since we're discussing rules!).

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Is the Keilder 100 possible on a cyclocross bike?’ is closed to new replies.