Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Is the difference worth it (road content)?
  • Kryton57

Need to decide then, with a new mortgage and 2nd kid on the way whether I should splash circa 2k on a Carbon road bike (Trek Madone or similar)before its too late.

Currently have a Trek 1.5, used really for Training until I got to enjoy road riding and now I’m riding 1-2 70k rides a week and would like to try a couple of sportives in the future.

Is it going to be worth it or is the difference so marginal with the type of riding I’m proposing that its not worth the cost, and the bike becomes a “nice to have but not essential item”?

Thoughts?

AntLockyer
    Free Member

Not worth it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

2nd kid and mortgage would be my proirities.

1.5 is not a bad bike, and you could spend £250 on a sh frame for a good upgrade.

wwaswas

I think you’re on the ‘want’ side of ‘want or need’ with that, tbh.

A lighter set of wheels would make more difference to your riding.

Jase
    Free Member

IMO you would notice the difference. I use a cheaper bike in the winter and really notice when I get back on the summer bike.

Saying that your current bike is perfectly adequate.

I’d say if you really can afford it then do it but don’t jeopodise the house etc.

bluebird
    Free Member

If you’re riding 100+ miles a week and plan to race then I think you’d notice the difference. Go and try one.

As above wheels make a big difference and cost a lot less.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You will notice the difference, whether it’s worth £2K is up to you – I’d think not for me.

And there are cheaper ways of getting 90% of the performance gain.

Kryton57

Lol. There’s no chance of jeopardising houoses or kids. Its just that £2k is a greater impact with the change in disposable income.

As waswaswas said, I guess I am in “want” rather than “need” territory.

I guess I’m looking for whats already above a) No the 1.5 is a good bike or b) No the 1.5 is a pile of **** go buy a new one.

Its the 2011 black/white Trek graphic version with Fulcrum racing 5 wheels upgraded from standard already. Looks aren’t an issue as I reckon itb looks better than this years 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Define ‘worth it’?

It’s 99% the rider, but a nice bike is still a nice bike. I went down the route of upgrading my CAAD4 slowly and ended up with quite a nice build for a lot less than buying a new bike, and it still gets the response of “really, that’s a bargain” when I tell people it only cost me about £700 spread over 10 years!

Just setup an ebay search for the bike you ‘want’ in september/october once all the MAMILS who caught TDF fever are selling off their team replica’s at half price.

johnny

Kid2 + mortgage has to be a priority, but ignore me, i have both the 2 kids and the mortgage and it hasn’t stopped me buying bikes!

If you’re itching to upgrade something, what is it you want to improve? if it’s comfort/position/stiffness, look at frames. (or get some nicer bars/seatpost, etc) If it’s speed/acceleration/weight look at wheels.

You can always save weight with groupset choices too.

Look for a Kinesis/Boardman/Planet x frameset, or something similar. there are some lovely frames on Ebay/classifieds here/Cycling weekly. You can even prolong the excitement of buying shiny bits by steadily upgrading brakes/cranks/STI’s, etc, etc… If you buy a new bike now, you’ll only want something shiny to hang on it in a few months.

Of course you could just clean it and put some new bar tape on!

Having a second kid who is now 4 months, I’d say those longer rides might be swapped for a few early morning/ late evening rides when the brood is asleep/occupied. i wouldn’t spend a whole load of money on a bike you don’t want to take out at 6am in the rain. the longer stuff will come back in time, but probably not in the short term…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Planet X carbon frame and swap the bits over?

Kryton57

Johnny – some good point there. I do have an issue with frame size having bought a 2nd hand 58cm (becuase it really was a trial) which I “thought” would fit (I’m 5’11 and 3/4) but have the seat slammed all the way forward and still get crotch ache despite doing all I can measurement wise now I’m more educated.

I think really I should be in a 56. I have just ordered an inlinw ‘post from the classifieds to try and help a bit, whether it will or not I don’t know.

Your last para is noted; I should know better from past experience, but thats a good point – I was counting on the post tour Sales – baby’s due late September.

Kryton57

double post

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I had a trek 1.5 as my winter bike. Compared to my nice trek, the 1.5 felt cheap, rubbish and a world apart from my nice trek. It hardly got used as a result.

I have no kids/mortgage and no desire for either, so if it was me, i’d be changing the bike 🙂 Changing wheels and lighter/race tyres will make a noticeable difference if you want to spend money.

Speshpaul

Two points
    1, is anyone going to starve if you buy a new bike?

2, You are a long time dead!

Job done 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

56 sounds right (I’m 5ft11 and 3/4 too!), although I do occasionlay think of getting a bigger frame.

One solution (seatposts aren’t the best for shortening the cockpit IMO as they affect pedaling) is compact bars, these will bring the hoods in and the drops up a bit, same as a shorter/taller stem but without moving the tops (unless you want to move the tops as well, in which case just get a shorter/taller stem).

The downside of slowly upgrading is you never get that completely different new bike feeling, but as johnny said, if you buy a £2k bike, it’ll only be a few months before you’re looking at new wheels, even £2k bikes seem to come with askiums now, suppose it stopped prices escalating like MTB’s did, and the excuse is if you’re spending £2k+ it’s probably for raceing or your serious about riding so will have race wheels so supplying anything more than training wheels is a waste of money.

Taff
    Free Member

If it’s the wrong size for you then it won’t be helping you physically. Wheher you can afford the mortgage, kids and a bike is up to you. Sounds like a want rather than a need and I can’t argue with that. I always want a new bike. A madone will make a noticable difference to your road riding but as you said it’s a training bike so it’s meant to be difficult!

FuzzyWuzzy

If money’s not that tight I’d go for the new bike option myself. The 1.5 will make a decent winter bike you can leave mudguards and lights on and the new bike should give a better ride and ultimately make it more enjoyable. My main reason for buying a pricey summer bike last year was although my one bike at the time was perfectly adequate it was a bit boring and not something I particularly looked forward to riding (although I still enjoyed riding in itself). With a fancy summer bike now I still look forward to a sunny day so I can get out an ride it and I also have to use the ‘winter’ bike enough still that I’m not totally used to the summer bike yet so it still feels very different.

Kryton57

‘spoon: I don’t want to spend a ton of money experementing – is it better to get “sized” and an LBS then ask them what they might do with the current bike to get the sizing “right”?

All feels fine apart from the crotch ache after about 30 miles, bar in line with front hub, seat height at 109%. I need to do the plumbline knee/pedal bit but apart from that….

cookeaa

new mortgage and 2nd kid on the way… before its too late

It’s already too late, sorry.

you’ll have to make do and mend with the 1.5 maybe shop about and follow the gradual frame/wheels/drive upgrade path instead…

Two kids (one under six months) plus a mortgage here, and no ‘New’ bikes/frames/major parts (like wheels or brakes) in 3 years, but plenty of 2nd hand (on a one in, one out basis) and the odd pretty item in the sales…

sputnik
    Free Member

I’d say go for it and enjoy the ride. Try to get out more and raise your game a bit, longer rides and more often. The house and kids will be fine- responsibilities responsibilities responsibilities. Look after your own needs and wants and you will enjoy your responsibilities more.

continuity
    Free Member

Why not just buy said madone second hand for £1000 on eBay?

wwaswas

longer rides and more often…Look after your own needs and wants and you will enjoy your responsibilities more

I’m sorry but have you got young children, a job and a partner etc?

wwaswas

just saw this on twitter;

Anyone interested in a Trek Madone 5.9, 56cm, frame/forks/seat mast. As new, only 70 miles RRP £1799 I’ll take £800? pic.twitter.com/ckrBoASV

from @BillW00dward

if it’s of any interest…

Taff
    Free Member

is it better to get “sized” and an LBS then ask them what they might do with the current bike to get the sizing “right”?

There are a few shops around me and when going around with a colleague who was looking for a road bike they told him the bike they had in stock was the right size. Definately not right and he wasn’t convinced. Some places will do a proper fitting, some will charge £100 but some like Pedalon offer a frere service. If changing stems etc are includded in this then I think it’s a bargain

Kryton57

Grrrr – WWW – just going into a 4hr meeting I’ wonder if that will go before I can jump on tinternet…

johnny

back again- i’d definitely go for a smaller frame then. I have a Cross frame going cheap in the classifieds if you want! (probably not as nice as the 1.5, TBH…) Would make a good winter bike though!

Klunk
    Free Member

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you want one, buy it if you can justify it.

It wont be any faster than your current bike though.

You dont need a £2k bike to do a sportive.

Replacing your fulcrum wheels with some decent ones, along with some tyres and light inner tubes would probably save you alot of money and be just as good of an upgrade.

globalti
    Free Member

Agreed. A set of decent wheels will do more for the ride and your climbing than a new bike. I fitted Ksyriums to mine and they were massively different from the old Aksiums they replaced.

jwmlee
    Free Member

My first road bike (had first a cheap hybrid, then titanium hardtail) is a 2010 Scott Addict R3. Was bought as last year’s model but still paid quite a bit for it (£1400 on an original ticket price of £1800).

Never regretted it. Something about a light fast, well built bike.

It’s always worth buying good quality gear.

Kryton57

Hmmm. New wheels as a compromise sounds like a great way to placate Mrs Kryton and keep me happy.

Then I can save up later for Ultegra (at the risk of polishing the proberbial tu*d) 😀

sputnik
    Free Member

Yup, married , one child , job. But as mentioned above, you only get one shot at life and you are dead for a very long time. Never forget to have fun- you will dry up inside. Buying second hand / used is a very good idea to get your hands on something descent at realistic price. Can’t remember who said this, but recall a quote along the lines of ” married to the frame and just in a relationship with the parts “. Get a decent frame as a platform .

mikey74
    Free Member

It wont be any faster than your current bike though.

That is irrelevant IMHO: It’s not about the speed, it’s about the quality of the ride.

Last year I decided to replace my long-serving Trek 1000 with a nice Kuota Kharma carbon bike and the difference in ride quality is enormous: The ride of the 1000 was harsh and not particularly responsive, whereas the Kharma is stiff where it needs to be, and compliant where it needs to be, resulting in a far more enjoyable riding experience. As a result, I am more inclined to ride further and more often.

If you can afford it, do it.

Oh, and definitely have it fitted for you.

monksie
    Free Member

I’ve just sold a Trek 1.5 and bought a Cannondale Supersix. I love road riding and I liked the Trek. I completely love my Supersix.
    I now find any single excuse I can to go out on the Cannondale.
    2k on a bike is a lot of money. You and your family will know if it’s an option but they make lovely bikes at that price. Worlds different than cheap aluminium.

Kryton57

Ok so – I’ve found a 2011 Caad 8 105 for £799 in the right size – not taking into account the amount I’ll get from the sale of the Trek. Bearing in mind the sizing issue is THAT worth buying in this scenario?

I’ve the ok from Mrs Kryton but am wondering if the £400 difference is worth the better frame / groupset!

Thoughts?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a CAAD4 frame, cannondale’s aluminium frames are much better than the equivalent trek’s.

(assuming it’s the new CAAD8) the geometry’s more sportive than race (CAAD10 for that) so there might be a double wammy of shorter and taller (talelr headtube has a similar effect to shorter top tubes in bring in the bars towards your shoulders) so get a short spin on it to see if it’s comfortable.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Thought the Caad 8 and 10 frames were the same geometry wise , with the Synapse being a more relaxed geometry . If it were me I would either upgrade to full carbon or stick with what I’ve got , anything else will be a halfway house and you may well be asking the same question again in a years time . If you can try to get a ride on a carbon framed bike then decide if it’s worth it or not .

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP seems you are itching to buy a bike, that sounds like a good deal, and will justify say better wheels well.

Kryton57

Well, cynic-al / ‘spoon this wrong size issue is bugging me. I now have an inline post in the Trek and its fine, but a compromise still, I’ve not much seat-tube sticking out at 109%.

Also a M&S 15 month 0% C-card has arrived. Seems like I only really need to spend £400 – £500 to get a decent bike at the right size to suit my needs, and one with a decent frame / groupset at that.

I guess what I’m trying to justify is, what Ramsey Neil (Neil Ramsey?) mentioned – slaying my thirst today when it could be better to wait ’til Mrs Kryton is back to work say 18 months from now, then start saving for a more advance (carbon) machine to replace the Trek in 2 years.

Thing i I just don’t know :-/ And if I did “throw away” that £400 differential* over 2 years it wouldn’t be the end of the world if i decided to upgrade yet again.

*Edit – actually I may get most of that back from the sale of the ‘dale in 2 years any way…?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Is the difference worth it (road content)?’ is closed to new replies.