Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Is Tabasco sauce bad for you?
  • donsimon
    Free Member

I can easily get through a bottle a week.
    What, if any, harm am I doing myself?

jockhaggis
    Free Member

If you have it in Bloody Mary’s then it’s got to be good for you. With all that tomato juice and celery it’s 1 of your 5 a day.

Worst you’ll get is a hot botty.

scrappy
    Free Member

if you like hot sauces have a go at ‘Death’ chilly sauce. Even comes with a health warning. Youll drink Tobasco strait from the bottle to cool your mouth down!

johnners
    Free Member
    chewkw
    Free Member

don simon – Member

I can easily get through a bottle a week.

Nope. I too can get through the same amount.

Think I have at least 6 bottles stock up at them moment.

🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

I get through a bottle of this every week…goes in/with everything!

Philby

You need to get some serious heat into your diet:

http://www.hotsauceemporium.co.uk/list.php?catID=9

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Jamie +1.

I even put that stuff on my Haribos.

_tom_
    Free Member

Encona hot pepper sauce is the daddy. I can’t have too much spicy stuff now though, I suffer the next day and it’s not pretty.

Jamie
    Free Member

You need to get some serious heat into your diet:

It gets to the point with some of those really really hot sauces where I just think, whats the point? Usually after being spiked with some and having my face go numb 😉

Names are always good value tho….Baboon Ass Gone Rabid…heh.

organic355
    Free Member

tried this?

mrfox
    Free Member

I envy those who can still take the hot stuff. Had some chilli sauce from Swaziland and hours later accidently shat myself taking the rubbish out. It was so bad I had to throw the shoes away.

kinda666
    Free Member

This is the hottest sauce I’ve ever tried, bought tears to my eyes!

_tom_
    Free Member

Hottest I’ve had is Blair’s Instant Death Sauce. Tastes crap as well. Their slightly less hot one with jalapeno and tequila is delicious and hot enough.

BigJohn

The only chilli pepper that doesn’t give you heartburn (apparently) is habanero.

Try to get a sauce based on those to reduce the harm.

brakes
    Free Member

It was so bad I had to throw the shoes away.

awesome 😀

tomaso
    Free Member

As long as you don’t get chilli on yer knob its fine.

I am very partial to this Siracha Sauce – aka Hot Cock sauce

and I prefer this to tabasco as it has IMO a better flavour

And this stuff makes a chilli taste hot and smokey – dried and smoked jalapenos

brakes
    Free Member

where do you find these different sauces?
    supermarkets only seem to have the usual suspects.

tonyd

+1 on the Encona, hot enough yet still allows you to taste your dinner! I don’s see the point in the really hot stuff either.

BigJohn – Member

The only chilli pepper that doesn’t give you heartburn (apparently) is habanero.

Try to get a sauce based on those to reduce the harm.
    You can get Habanero Tabasco, its pretty nice.

Philby

@brakes – see my link above – they do mail order.

MrNutt
    Free Member

tomaso bang on the money there! get your self down to your nearest asian cash n carry hot cock is essential!

chewkw
    Free Member

tomaso – Member

I am very partial to this Siracha Sauce – aka Hot Cock sauce

Yes, that Hot Cock sauce is rather flavoursome by comparison to many that are simply hot. Might have to try out that Crystal sauce as well. I have tried the Encona hot pepper sauce but it is tasteless to be frank. Just hot.

This one by Tobasco is also rather fine with a bit of flavour.

This one is OK-ish with hotness but flavour is not that good.

The various brands of chilli oil with chilli flakes/fried shrimp ingredient from the Chinese supermarket are very good too especially with fish or stir fry.

Good chilli sauce should be hot yet flavoursome and not just burning hot that kill off the taste pallet.

I get heartburn if I use too much of those powder peppers/paprika to spice up meal, better using chilli oil or fresh Thai chilli.

😀

joolsburger
    Free Member

That link to the medical site is hilarious – Basically if you’ve had invasive butthole surgery don’t eat super hot chillies while you’re recovering. Like that needed saying…
    A mate has some pepper sauce that comes with a little spoon absolutely lethal no idea what it’s called though.

LMT
    Free Member

All the above sauces can be found in tesco stores that have a world foods ailse. A look in the caribean part of the ailse should give some rewards!

I spotted one on the shelf the other day when you read the guide on the back it sayes not to be used neat and can also be used as drain unblocker. Im back to work tomorrow so will take a pic of the said sauce.

Jamie
    Free Member

I have tried the Encona hot pepper sauce but it is tasteless to be frank. Just hot.

That is partly why I like the Encona sauce. You get the flavour from the food your putting it into, and some added heat from the sauce.

brakes
    Free Member

I just went to Sainsburys and they only had Tabasco (just the normal one) and Encona then some stuff from Nandos. even in the world food isle they only had Encona jerk and creole sauce.
    I bought some bird’s eye chillis instead 😈

simondbarnes

Bottle a week sounds like quite a lot!

I love this stuff…

xherbivorex
    Free Member

here’s a little assortment from my current ‘collection’ of hot sauces and stuff. notable absentees from my photo are a pack of dried jolokia chillies and a bottle of encona pepper sauce.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I avoid cooking with fresh chillis as they are so variable, one meal and they are feeble, the next meal is inedible. So I invariable get Encona sweet chili as it’s fairly mild but tastes of sweet peppers and I know how much to use without upsetting the GF. But I fancy the flavour of hot cock sauce now. I’ll ask the lady in Tesco customer services where they keep the hot cock sauce. Probably in the aisle at the back, which is why I’ve never found it.

simondbarnes

I avoid cooking with fresh chillis as they are so variable, one meal and they are feeble, the next meal is inedible

Tasting the chillies before cooking with them avoids these problems.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

buzz, if they have the extra garlic one, get that (that’s the one i have in that photo). it’s spectacularly intense and complex, and not super hot but it definitely has a slight burn to it.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have had the pleasure of cooking a strongly chilli based meal in Texas with jalapenos bought fresh. They tasted fabulous, on another level to any fresh stuff here or bottled sauces etc, but my god they were hotter than I expected!

Junkyard
    Free Member

dont see the point used to enjoy them very hot but I got tot he point where I could taste n othe rflavours and thought everything else was bland. Weaned myself off slowly and now a bit of alightweight if i am honest
    Herbivore – i do have the aldi one in you shot though 😉
    Still have the Chillis I grew last year infused in oil.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

johnnie- it tastes exactly the same as the branded stuff, but for half the cost. so why not? ha!

chewkw
    Free Member

If you want dry chilli flakes it’s easy to make just buy them fresh, the Thai ones, and let them dry slowly in the fridge for a few weeks. Then you can use them however you like. The flavour remain the same … almost.

🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

mrfox – Member
    I envy those who can still take the hot stuff. Had some chilli sauce from Swaziland and hours later accidently shat myself taking the rubbish out. It was so bad I had to throw the shoes away

That’s the funniest thing I’ve read in ages, although having an attack of the giggles at work when supposedly working on a spreadsheet isn’t good. Nor is getting asked by a colleague if everything was OK as she thought I was crying :p

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ll see your “hot” and raise you this… Blair’s 16 Million Reserve

16 million scoville units. Comes in crystal form and the review suggests anything made with it is more or less inedible which is a bonus if you’ve spent $400 on it.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was wondering if someone could produce pure capsaicin.. that review is pretty funny actually 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Interesting chilli fact, the hottest chilli in the world is grown in Grantham, UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12506652

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Is Tabasco sauce bad for you?’ is closed to new replies.