• This topic has 46 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by wicki.
Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • is setting up the front mech a dark art?
  • ollie151
    Free Member

i found one problem….

the seat tube has a clamp size of 28.6 (mainly used for road frames) but my mech is desighned 34.9 (MTB size seat tubes) so ive but a rubber shim to adapt it. this means the mech plates that move the chain are slightly further away from the frame than they should be, and when i put the chain onto smallest chainring, it rubs.
    even though the L srew is all the way in, the mech cant close up any more.

so i need a BB with a slightly longer axle, so the chainset is also slightly further away from the frame and therefore not rubbing the chain

??i hope that makes sence…… one problem solved at least

jekkyl

Someone on here will have the proper shims you need to make that mech fit your frame, maybe best not to guess using a bit of rubber. Put a wanted ad up.

ollie151
    Free Member

the shim came with the mech. im pretty sure its a proper one. im not that DIY

scotroutes

Shimano mech shims are in two parts and are metal but if the clamp fits round the shim you have then it should be within the realms of adjustability.

Pretty sure I have spares though if you want to try it.

Edit: alternatively I have a Direct Mount adapter that should fit your frame- and a XT Direct Mount mech.

ollie151
    Free Member

the shims in two parts (plastic). i just had a fiddle with them and took them out. if the mech was right up against the seat tube, there would be enough clearence for the chain.
    what spares have you got? different type of shims?

how much are you asking for the direct mount and mech? could you send pics?

cheers

wicki
    Free Member

Strikes a chord this thread

I recently changed front mech from a old 2008 deore LX low band to a new deore LX high band that gave better rear tire clearence the old mech was completley parallel to the frame the new pulled out at an angle ,,,,any way try as a might the new never shifted as well as the old I ended up putting the old back on, the first time a front mech defeated me.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘is setting up the front mech a dark art?’ is closed to new replies.