Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Is now a bad time to buy a 2012 Fox F120?
  • vorlich
    Free Member

Awaits inevitable RockShox fanboi wisdom. 😀

I’m looking to buy one of these but the price still seems high. The 2013 models are starting to be listed on some websites. Should I give it a month or so for the prices to drop before pulling the trigger, or will the prices remain high for a while?

I don’t much fancy one of the 2013 models, given the lukewarm reaction to the CTD damper.

Leku
    Free Member
    druidh
    Free Member

If you want forks for 26″ wheels, best buy them now before they are phased out.

vorlich
    Free Member

I had seen that Merlin offer, thanks. Anyone know what changed between 2010 and later versions? I’ve been struggling to find out.

Shorty121
    Free Member

I don’t think they will phase out 26″

Kit
    Free Member

Any particular reason you want the F120s over a Reba (for example)?

I had 2 F120s, 1st set with QR and second set with the QR15. Both had the hollow brace. I’m not a great rider, but I did notice the flex in the fork. Front wheel didn’t track round corners nearly as well as the R130s, Revelations (QR) or Rebas (Maxle). I also couldn’t get full travel on either version – the forks stopped before the last 15mm or so, although the damping was excellent, and they are light. One was a 2010 model, I think, the other a 2009.

The Reba Maxle 120s I have at the moment are much flusher forks, and stiffer! Shame they’re not as sexy to look at 🙁

chakaping
    Free Member

I will probably be taking a Float 120 off a new 2012 bike to sell soon, email in profile if interested.

vorlich
    Free Member

I am about 15st so the stiffer the better probably. I haven’t ruled anything out really, so may also look at DtSwiss and Magura too. But I have some old Vanillas at present which have served me well, hence my preference for Fox.

khani
    Free Member

Get float 140’s instead of f’series and space em down to 120, they have a stiffer webbed arch instead of the hollow f’series arch, and they have more stantion/bush overlap when you space em down which stiffens them up as well…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

the best thing about the F120 is it only gives 100mm of travel. Certainly the older (09-10) ones did, plenty of threads on here and MTBR about it and possible modifications.

vorlich
    Free Member

140s spaced down would probably be better. The only page I can find on the Fox site is this:

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/QuickTech/FFloatAirSpgTravelAdj.htm

But, it all seems a bit vague for my liking, I’d like to see a list of years and model numbers to be absolutely sure this could be done on the models I’m looking at. I don’t know why Fox have moved to that shitty online manual rubbish, just let us download the sodding PDF by year/model. Gah!

vorlich
    Free Member

Thinking about this overnight, I think a Float 150 spaced down to 120 would be better still, as this would give me an upgrate path, should I decide to switch my Soul for a Rocket. I’ve mailed TF Tuned to see if this is do-able.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is now a bad time to buy a 2012 Fox F120?’ is closed to new replies.